Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger cable stuck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My family and I embarked on 3500 mile road trip this morning in our 4 month old LR AWD MY. We pulled in to charge at the Goodland, KS, supercharger for our first stop 200 miles down the road and started charging. After a few minutes there was a "Charging equipment reports error" message and the charging stopped. When I tried to remove the cable from the charge port it was still locked. Pushing the button on the charge cable handle, unlocking via the car's screen, and using the manual release all had no effect.

Roadside assistance says it could be a day (or more?) before they can get a mobile tech out here to get it disconnected. Does anyone have any suggestions in the meantime?

Yes, we've tried the manual release and a reboot. Thank you for the suggestions, though. Following the advice of roadside assistance, we also tried turning the car off for a few minutes.

I'm not real hopeful at this point, but thought I'd ask.

A full Power Off reboot?

I would try this too, via the touchscreen first if not already, then by getting out the car for 15 mins:

Model Y also powers off automatically after being in
Park for 15 minutes, even if you are sitting in the driver’s
seat.

Although usually not needed, you can power off Model Y
while sitting in the driver’s seat, provided the vehicle is
not moving. Touch Controls > Safety & Security > Power
Off. Model Y automatically powers back on again if you
press the brake pedal or touch the touchscreen.

Also, how about try disconnecting and/or reconnecting the 12V battery? It's under the hood, behind a plastic cover close to the windshield near the middle of the vehicle. If that still doesn't work, it's likely something physically stuck on the connector or latch, and will likely need to be forced out by roadside assistance via breaking it. (or maybe there's a way to manually unlock the connector from the supercharger side)

Attachments

• 12V_battery.png
    12V_battery.png
    252.5 KB · Views: 937
  • plastic_cover.png
    plastic_cover.png
    198.5 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
The car is no longer charging, and it stopped at 11%, so unfortunately there's no way to set the limit to less than where it is.

Tesla is sending a mobile tech that will be here this evening to unlock it. They are saying, though, that the car will need to be towed 3+ hours (in the wrong direction for our trip) to Colorado Springs tomorrow.

The car is no longer charging, and it stopped at 11%, so unfortunately there's no way to set the limit to less than where it is.

Tesla is sending a mobile tech that will be here this evening to unlock it. They are saying, though, that the car will need to be towed 3+ hours (in the wrong direction for our trip) to Colorado Springs tomorrow.
This really stinks. So it sounds like it's an issue with the car charger vs an external problem.

Not really sure if it's the car or the charger. I'm hoping once it gets unlocked we can try a different charger and it will work, thus not needing to do the whole towing thing. Supercharged it several times before this...always within a few miles of our home! Never any problems.

Back on the road! The mobile tech was able to get the cable detached. I wasn't there at the time to see how he did it, but it sounded like it was not something just anyone can do.

The tech said that sometimes the cables fail and this happens. So not a car problem, and we didn't have to get towed. He showed me the cable and said to avoid using ones with cracked plastic on the ends like this one had. So I guess the moral of the story is to check the end of the supercharger cable before plugging in!
20210501_160539.jpg

Glad that worked for you, and thanks for the warning! Now, it sure would be nice if there were a way to report such a cracked connector. Sure, the electronic bits can self-diagnose and report back to the mother ship, but something like this is only remotely diagnosable when someone gets stuck. Oughta be a way for people to report it when they find such an issue.

You can report broken chargers to them. From Supercharging :

Who should I contact if I'm experiencing a problem with a Supercharger?
Superchargers are monitored closely and regularly serviced by our Tesla Service Technicians to address any technical issues as quickly as possible. There is no need to contact or report problems with a Supercharger. If you are experiencing problems with your charging cable, visit our do it yourself guides. For other charging related issues, find answers to frequently asked questions on charging.

What do I do if I have an issue while Supercharging?
Please contact Customer Support.

Once you've logged into your Tesla account on the Tesla website, go to https://www.tesla.com/contactus
Report via Vehicle Charging > Supercharging > Describe your question > Chat with us
(Our agents are only available between 8:00 AM and 3:00 PM PST, Monday through Friday)

Back on the road! The mobile tech was able to get the cable detached. I wasn't there at the time to see how he did it, but it sounded like it was not something just anyone can do.

The tech said that sometimes the cables fail and this happens. So not a car problem, and we didn't have to get towed. He showed me the cable and said to avoid using ones with cracked plastic on the ends like this one had. So I guess the moral of the story is to check the end of the supercharger cable before plugging in!

It's interesting but the same thing applies to gasoline engines, You should not use a petrol pump if you see dirt on the nozzle. I'm assuming you just plugged it in without looking at it, that's what I normally do. Now we now so many people have benefitted from your bad luck. Good luck with the rest of your trip!

Reactions: KerryOH