Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Cache Creek, BC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the SC in CC is not ready this weekend, has anyone made it to Kamloops over the Duffy from Squamish or Whistler? I’m driving a Long range RWD model 3
We have made that trip a few times in a LR RWD Model 3. Kamloops to Whistler used about 300 km of the indicated range at departure, in warm weather. So shouldn't be a problem at this time of year. I've also driven that route with a full charge in Squamish; got into Kamloops with about 80 km of remaining range.

• Informative
Reactions: PLUS EV
If the SC in CC is not ready this weekend, has anyone made it to Kamloops over the Duffy from Squamish or Whistler? I’m driving a Long range RWD model 3
Whistler to Kamloops should be fine in an LR3, but the Squamish leg is about 55 klicks longer and ~600m lower in elevation so that leg would be much more difficult. Kamloops to Squamish would be much easier as you are losing elevation rather than gaining and if you run into trouble, you can always stop in Whistler.

Assuming temps around 10C and no crazy precip or wind, I'd want about 450 Rated Kilometres for Whistler to Kamloops, 550 for Squamish to Kamloops, and ~500 for Kamloops to Squamish (via Pemberton). As always start out slowly (in this case the speed limit should be fine) and only speed up if your arrival percentage is going up. I suspect you'll do pretty well on these roads range wise due to the slow speed limits. My numbers above are fairly conservative, but better safe than sorry.

You also might want to look on Plugshare for L2 or L3 charging options in Cache Creek and/or Lillooet. Always good to have options.

Just to elaborate a bit more about driving from Squamish to Kamloops. I did that in September 2018 in our LR Model 3, so similar temperatures to this time of year. Charged to 94% at Squamish Supercharger and got home in Kamloops with 17% charge remaining. Distance according to odometer was 375 km; indicated range dropped by 381 km. The car indicated overall power consumption of 137 Wh/km for that trip. My driving speed is usually fairly close to posted speed limits, particularly when charging options are limited.

• Informative
Reactions: PLUS EV
Just to elaborate a bit more about driving from Squamish to Kamloops. I did that in September 2018 in our LR Model 3, so similar temperatures to this time of year. Charged to 94% at Squamish Supercharger and got home in Kamloops with 17% charge remaining. Distance according to odometer was 375 km; indicated range dropped by 381 km. The car indicated overall power consumption of 137 Wh/km for that trip. My driving speed is usually fairly close to posted speed limits, particularly when charging options are limited.
Have you try a more scenic route, whistler via Lillooet down Hope..

Have you try a more scenic route, whistler via Lillooet down Hope..
I haven't made the drive from Kamloops to Hope via Lillooet but it should be doable with a LR Model 3 (barring unusual weather conditions). Looks like it is about 350 km between Superchargers on that route. The grades are generally not too bad but winds can be an issue in the Fraser Canyon.

Hope to Whistler via Lillooet also looks feasible. About 300 km in total.

We have made that trip a few times in a LR RWD Model 3. Kamloops to Whistler used about 300 km of the indicated range at departure, in warm weather. So shouldn't be a problem at this time of year. I've also driven that route with a full charge in Squamish; got into Kamloops with about 80 km of remaining range.
Thanks for all the info. I’ll be given by it a go this weekend.

BA743A59-4937-4F0F-B5B4-28EAD4155D9A.jpeg

hopefully it doesn't take them as long as it did in Princeton. But they can build them fast if they want to. I see that they are installing 8 in Williams Lake. Pretty soon it will be yvr-.hope->cache creek->williams lake -> pg all on superchargers. excellent!
I went by the Williams Lake chargers yesterday. Tesla is getting quick at installing them. I think it is BC Hydro who is dragging their feet with turning them on. 4 years living up north with my 100D X and it feels like with these ones I’m not isolated anymore!

Super chargers Not operational yet, but bchydro chademo is the next best thing :)
Don’t forget to get an awesome burger from Herbys. :p

Attachments

• 0EA54121-9A98-453F-BD8E-C1829827E921.jpeg
    0EA54121-9A98-453F-BD8E-C1829827E921.jpeg
    789.7 KB · Views: 73
  • 168C8FD8-DBAD-478A-B859-8479253F1624.jpeg
    168C8FD8-DBAD-478A-B859-8479253F1624.jpeg
    621.2 KB · Views: 70
  • B9C60A26-6A9C-4F41-9FF2-1D7D9ACBCCB0.jpeg
    B9C60A26-6A9C-4F41-9FF2-1D7D9ACBCCB0.jpeg
    545.5 KB · Views: 87
  • C4C9FD85-657B-42AE-BAAF-47B7150E0EE7.jpeg
    C4C9FD85-657B-42AE-BAAF-47B7150E0EE7.jpeg
    303.6 KB · Views: 78
  • BF20E9FB-9756-4976-B5EF-BC584DB43EC6.jpeg
    BF20E9FB-9756-4976-B5EF-BC584DB43EC6.jpeg
    572.8 KB · Views: 92
I assume Tesla paid for the FLO dc charger as well?
There are various government subsidization programs that pay partial amount of costs if Tesla puts a specific amount of Chademo / CCS stations.

Details here:

Last edited:
interesting how the bollards for the Flo units are in front of the charger and the tesla bollards are beside the chargers. Any idea why?
Because the Tesla stuff is just a spiffy looking "dumb" post, there's essentially nothing to protect in there as all the actual supercharger electrical hardware and smarts are in the cabinets in the equipment pad area. Plus, there's no serious electricity running to those posts until you plug in and the car and cabinet do their handshake to initialize the charging session. The Flo unit, on the other hand, is the charging hardware as well as the connection point. It and that small transformer next to it are permanently energized with "high" voltage regardless of whether a car is plugged in or not (note this isn't true of the charging cable/plug on the Flo unit but the cabinet internals), and since they are sited close to driving areas, they need more protection than Tesla's dumb posts.

Because the Tesla stuff is just a spiffy looking "dumb" post, there's essentially nothing to protect in there as all the actual supercharger electrical hardware and smarts are in the cabinets in the equipment pad area. Plus, there's no serious electricity running to those posts until you plug in and the car and cabinet do their handshake to initialize the charging session. The Flo unit, on the other hand, is the charging hardware as well as the connection point. It and that small transformer next to it are permanently energized with "high" voltage regardless of whether a car is plugged in or not (note this isn't true of the charging cable/plug on the Flo unit but the cabinet internals), and since they are sited close to driving areas, they need more protection than Tesla's dumb posts.
interesting how the bollards for the Flo units are in front of the charger and the tesla bollards are beside the chargers. Any idea why?

Additionally, the cables for the Tesla superchargers have always been a few feet too short IMO, and one needs to back up uncomfortably close to those pedestals (just ask those with bike racks what it is like). The pedestals are installed off to the right side of the centre of the parking spot, as all Teslas have the port on the back left of the car. Of course the engineers have done all the cost analysis of "if a charge cable is 1 foot longer, it needs to be XXX thicker, which increases the cost by XXXX". At this station it looks like the bollard marks the centre of the parking space, which is a nice guide for when snow covers the lines on the ground.

The FLO and the BCHydro DC chargers cables are much longer, and of course it costs less to do this compared to the Tesla ones because they only have 50 kW max to send (but I have never received more than 46kW through my Chademo) so they can get away with placing the unit further back, and in the centre of the parking space makes sense as there is no consistency regarding location for all those vehicles with CCS ports. Some are at the front centre of the car (Nissan ,Audi) some on the left front (Porsche, Ford) and Mercedes are going on the back right, just to oppositely different from Tesla.

Plenty of thought has gone into where to locate the ports. odd how they all came to different conclusions :)

Take Our Poll - What's The Perfect Charge Port Location?