Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Cache Creek, BC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M

MarcoRP

Now, I know that Tesla doesn’t have a Supercharger planned for Cache Creek in 2020. However, I found a document from a council meeting from September 16th 2019, saying the town was looking to install a Supercharger station (unknown number of stalls) at the Tourist Information Centre, which already has a BC Hydro EV fast charging station installed.

I don’t know if Tesla will install Superchargers in Cache Creek this year, but I think it would be a nice gap filler between Whistler and Kamloops.

Quote from the document (https://cachecreek.civicweb.net/document/1429)

Supercharger agreement – Tesla, Inc.
MOVED by Councillor Dafoe
SECONDED by Councillor Coomber
THAT Council sign the contract with Tesla, Inc. for a Supercharger Station to be installed at the Cache Creek Visitor Information Centre parking lot and provide a letter of support for their grant application. CARRIED”

So, should we add this on Supercharge Info? Jasper got on without any precedent of Tesla announcing that they would be building a Supercharger there, so I’m wondering if we should establish that same principle for this one. Thoughts?

Great location. Ive made the drive to from Santa Barbara, CA to Dawson City and Inuvik many times. Some of my favorite country. It's been 8 years since I stopped buying gas and 8 years since I visited Dawson City. The route north will be fabulous once the Superchargers make their way.

Reactions: Hugh-SG
I'll chime in with a "Yee ha" - after all, Hat Creek Ranch is right there - to Cache Creek. Not only is it obviously a crucial stage on N-S Rte 97, the Cariboo Hwy, but also it is (effectively: just north a few miles from the downtown and the presumed SpC site) the eastern terminus of the also-magnificent Rte 99, the Sea-to-Sky Hwy whose S&W terminus is Vancouver...after having passed through not only Lillooet - a great location - but also is the road to/from Whistler/Blackcomb. We take advantage of Rte 99 whenever possible: love that route. Hat Creek Ranch, dating from 1861, anchors the junction of these two terrific routes.

This is probably just filler for the Kamploops to Whistler route, but here's hoping that they might actually start lighting up the route to North...

It would be GREAT if someone who is good at searching for permits, could check Williams Lake, Quesnel, Prince George, etc.
I was actually searching for permits in Saskatchewan when I found this, but I guess I’ll start looking into these BC Superchargers, unless someone beats me to it.

• Love
Reactions: gene and Hugh-SG
I should dust off the SpC map I created for Tesla corporate a good number of years ago for the North Country: central and northern BC & AB, YT and Alaska.

Just as soon as my Moderating of the Investor sector quietens.

Should be around the turn of the millennium, it appears.

I know of a business in talks with Tesla in P.G. but everyone should be contacting Tesla to push this one in PG and south.
As it seems Tesla is bit cautious with installing along this route right now. (Tesla seems to contact and get things rolling then they go quite for a while)
P.G. is Prince George, BC, fyi

• Informative
Reactions: gene
This is probably just filler for the Kamploops to Whistler route, but here's hoping that they might actually start lighting up the route to North...

It would be GREAT if someone who is good at searching for permits, could check Williams Lake, Quesnel, Prince George, etc.

Well, strictly, it's splitting a large (271.8km) gap on the TCH, so it might not signal anything.

But, yes, it would be a cool thing to go North. Given that there was the agreement in Jasper, AB, which suggests Tesla looking at the east-west connection, maybe Tesla will also try to make the north-south connection to Prince George, BC.

Cache Creek, BC

Along National Highways: TCH/BC-1, BC-97
Along Provincial Highways (<=8km): None

TCH/BC-1

To: Kamloops, BC - 78.8 km
Diversion: 0.2 km
To: Salmon Arm, BC - 188.4 km

BC-97

To: YT-1 at Yukon border, BC - 1796.4 km
Diversion: 0.1 km

Well, strictly, it's splitting a large (271.8km) gap on the TCH, so it might not signal anything.

But, yes, it would be a cool thing to go North. Given that there was the agreement in Jasper, AB, which suggests Tesla looking at the east-west connection, maybe Tesla will also try to make the north-south connection to Prince George, BC.

Cache Creek, BC

Along National Highways: TCH/BC-1, BC-97
Along Provincial Highways (<=8km): None

TCH/BC-1

To: Kamloops, BC - 78.8 km
Diversion: 0.2 km
To: Salmon Arm, BC - 188.4 km

BC-97

To: YT-1 at Yukon border, BC - 1796.4 km
Diversion: 0.1 km
Jasper is a common vacation destination, so I'm not convinced that signals further work along that route. Of course eventually they will connect Alberta to Prince George, but that eventually might be 10 years from now. Hopefully sooner.

But your point about this Cache Creek location splitting a gap on the TCH is taken. I actually hadn't realised Cache Creek was on the TCH because it's so much faster to drive from Hope to Kamploops via Merritt that I was thinking that was the TCH.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hugh-SG
There are a bunch of new BC Hydro Chademo/CCS stations along 97 between Cache Creek and Prince George. Most are open with a couple still opening soon. Also another one in Pemberton just announced. BC Hydro is kicking ass with installations this last year. Apparently the Prince George to Bella Coola is being mapped and their should be pins on Plugshare by June. Not as fast as a Supercharger but 50 KW with the adapter is better than 10 KW at a destination charger.

• Informative
Reactions: gene
I was up in Cache Creek last summer for a family visit and decided to join in with two other Vancouver based Tesla's for the Official Opening of the BC Hydro DCQC.

By topping off to 98% at the Hope TSC my 2016 Model-X I had just enough range to make it up to Cache Creek for the family visit and then the 67 km side jaunt to Kamloop to Supercharge for the drive back home via the Coquahalla (with a comfortable 15% buffer remaining on arrival).

Why do my family visits have to be one way trips up or down the Canyon with 98% Supercharges? Because I do not have a ChAdMo adaptor (which are hideously expensive in Cdn dollars).

Thankfully one of the other Vancouver lads did have a ChAdMo adaptor so we were able to use the new DC QC and all three of us got a quick top up, enough to make a direct return to Hope.

So a TSC in Cache Creek will be greatly appreciated by the Northerner's who are going to or returning from a visit to Vancouver, as well as those of us with older shorter range Tesla's who want to enjoy the scenic tourist drives on the Trans Canada up and down the Fraser Canyon.

My thanks to the Village Council on moving forward with getting a TSC in Cache Creek.

There are a bunch of new BC Hydro Chademo/CCS stations along 97 between Cache Creek and Prince George. Most are open with a couple still opening soon. Also another one in Pemberton just announced. BC Hydro is kicking ass with installations this last year. Apparently the Prince George to Bella Coola is being mapped and their should be pins on Plugshare by June. Not as fast as a Supercharger but 50 KW with the adapter is better than 10 KW at a destination charger.

That is good to hear! The only problem is unlike Europe where a "common" charger port design was mandated very early on by EU Regulators, in North America, Tesla's have their proprietary charge port which means we can not use the DCQC network with out expensive ChAdMo adaptors.

We need to keep in mind that the BC Hydro DC QC's are in partner ship with a large multi national oil company and the aggressive DC QC expansion will be of benefit to every other EV type out there but not to Tesla owners unless we purchase that hideously expensive ChAdMo adapter.

I do Marvel at the ingenuity of Northern Tesla owners, with your self help net work of various off map recharging places, using Welding equipment or someone's 240v cloths dryer 50amp circuit, etc, etc, to keep yourselves on the road in these early years of EV adoption.

That is good to hear! The only problem is unlike Europe where a "common" charger port design was mandated very early on by EU Regulators, in North America, Tesla's have their proprietary charge port which means we can not use the DCQC network with out expensive ChAdMo adaptors.

We need to keep in mind that the BC Hydro DC QC's are in partner ship with a large multi national oil company and the aggressive DC QC expansion will be of benefit to every other EV type out there but not to Tesla owners unless we purchase that hideously expensive ChAdMo adapter.

I do Marvel at the ingenuity of Northern Tesla owners, with your self help net work of various off map recharging places, using Welding equipment or someone's 240v cloths dryer 50amp circuit, etc, etc, to keep yourselves on the road in these early years of EV adoption.

I hear ya. Who is BC hydro in partnership with?

I just made a trip 300 km north (of Prince George, BC) this past weekend and charged at a campsite, learned that my portable charger is not the same as a 'Corded Mobile Connector' so charging took a lot longer (40 km/hr instead of 60 km/r) to get enough to get back home, video here:

There are options in most other directions from Prince George, but not really north towards Alaska so I made the trip in cold winter to see what could be done. Getting fast chargers in this part of Canada is crucial as it connects the dots to so many destinations.

Last edited:
Reactions: bolero