Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Cadillac, MI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today's (8/16/2015) 2016 SuperCharger map, focused on Michigan:

View attachment 90695

The 2015 map only adds the Lansing and Bay City/Saginaw locations, so Cadillac has obviously been moved up. The other new locations now appear to be Ludington, Traverse City, Mt. Pleasant, and Gaylord. The spacing between those sites seems pretty short -- more like 90 miles rather than the usual 130 -- but that spacing makes some sense for "non-transcontinental, cold climate" travel...

I'd thought that the location near the thumb was going to be the Bay City Meijer, but comparing this map against Meijer locations suggests that it will be the Meijer at 3360 Tittabawassee Road in Saginaw instead.

Of course, this is just looking at dots on a website, until they turn on the power :rolleyes:

The website is always behind (or ahead of) reality. Everyone realizes there will be a 2017 Tab next year, right? Just like a 2106 tab did not exist on the website in 2014.

Last edited:
I agree with both js247 and tomsModelS. A supercharger at Bay City and one at Grayling would really open up the eastern side of the lower peninsula. I have a feeling that one supercharger may go into a Meijer's at Bay City, hopefully in the spring.

I agree with both js247 and tomsModelS. A supercharger at Bay City and one at Grayling would really open up the eastern side of the lower peninsula. I have a feeling that one supercharger may go into a Meijer's at Bay City, hopefully in the spring.

The 3 or 4 are planned for this Winter to be opened by Spring 2016. So, 2016 will be the opposite of 2015: construction beginning of the year, etc. However, things are fluid with Tesla. Overall they are making great progress relative to 2012/2013 :smile:

I finally got over to the township offices and looked at the site plan for the Cadillac supercharger. It is to be a four cabinet, eight pedestal installation. It will be located in the far Southeast corner of the Meijer parking lot. It will be almost directly behind a Culver's restaurant. It should be in a good location to other restaurants and shops in the area and not subject to too much ICEing. The site plan has been approved and the building permit issued. No construction evident at this time.

I finally got over to the township offices and looked at the site plan for the Cadillac supercharger. It is to be a four cabinet, eight pedestal installation. It will be located in the far Southeast corner of the Meijer parking lot. It will be almost directly behind a Culver's restaurant. It should be in a good location to other restaurants and shops in the area and not subject to too much ICEing. The site plan has been approved and the building permit issued. No construction evident at this time.

In most localities, there are significant fees that must be paid to issue the building permit. Therefore, the issuance of the building permit usually waits until just before the construction starts to delay those expenses.

Hopefully, the start of construction in Cadillac will be soon.

I live in the Cadillac area and pass by that Meijer every day. It's a good location with plenty of places to go within walking distance. If you are looking for 34 road it is also called Boon road in the area. There is a Boon road exit off of US-131 that takes you there within a mile of the Freeway. The Meijer is on the corner of Boon road and Mitchell street (old US-131). I haven't seen anything going on yet---at least near the Meijer gas station or the out lots in front. I will drive around the site and see if there is anything happening somewhere else on the property that looks like prep work for a supercharger. Meijer is one of the companies that has several locations in Michigan that have DTE energy CNG stations located at their gasoline stations. It looks like they embrace alternative energy for transportation on more then one front. Good for them!

siai47 - Have you passed by the Meijer recently? I would greatly appreciate any update. Thanks!

Passed by the Meijer today. A construction fence was up around the location. There were several people around and it looked like a pre-construction meeting was taking place. No equipment on site yet. Tried to download a photo but gave up.

Passed by the Meijer today. A construction fence was up around the location. There were several people around and it looked like a pre-construction meeting was taking place. No equipment on site yet. Tried to download a photo but gave up.

Thanks for the update. It's greatly appreciated. Looks like construction is imminent.

try this again from the I-pad
image.jpg

No Tesla gear yet, but it looks like the right location and the right size. I'd give this picture a 99% chance of being the start of the Supercharger construction.
I agree with Cottonwood, this is most likely the site, but I'm surprised they are not using the site on the west side of the parking lot, which is a typical location to accommodate snow removal, etc.

Either way, this is fantastic news.

Cadilla.PNG

Joel, that's what I was thinking about the location too, but the fenced off area is consistent with the location noted in the permit below.

If you look at the Google Earth picture above, the fenced area encompasses about the last 10 parking spots in the lower right corner of the Meijer parking lot (South-East). The little triangle piece that looks gray in the Google earth picture on the street intersection is actually the section with the mulch and the small tree that you in the photograph of the construction fence. There was a truck from the County engineering firm there today towing a backhoe trailer. My photo was taken from the narrow strip of grass located at the bottom of the Google Earth picture which is the exit from the parking lot of a "Culver's" restaurant. Although the location would be usually on the other side of the lot (near the Meijer gas station) this location puts you closer to other restaurants and business in the area. This is the exact location shown on the County approved site plan that I looked at. That takes the last 1% out of the question as to what it is.

If you look at the Google Earth picture above, the fenced area encompasses about the last 10 parking spots in the lower right corner of the Meijer parking lot (South-East). The little triangle piece that looks gray in the Google earth picture on the street intersection is actually the section with the mulch and the small tree that you in the photograph of the construction fence. There was a truck from the County engineering firm there today towing a backhoe trailer. My photo was taken from the narrow strip of grass located at the bottom of the Google Earth picture which is the exit from the parking lot of a "Culver's" restaurant. Although the location would be usually on the other side of the lot (near the Meijer gas station) this location puts you closer to other restaurants and business in the area. This is the exact location shown on the County approved site plan that I looked at. That takes the last 1% out of the question as to what it is.

I agree. This is 100% the location. As Timf pointed out, I overlooked your post that specifically identified this location on the permit. Construction is underway...

Forgive my ignorance, but how does that accomodate snow removal?

Short answer, you do not have to shovel snow and you greatly reduce the possibility of a snow plow damaging/knocking over the Super Charger or the cement pedestal.

If Tesla applied this Petaluma Super Charger Configuration anywhere in a cold weather state (re: snow), the snow removal would require shoveling to clear the stall paths for the cars and opens the possibility that a snow plow either hits the cement pedestal (notice how the cement pedestal widens at the base-which would be covered in snow) or the super charger stall:

Petaluma.jpg

Tesla typically installs the Super Charger stalls on a curb so a snow plow can remove snow up to or in front of the Super Charger Pedestal without the need to shovel (or minimal shoveling), and this greatly reduces the possibility of a snow plow damaging the cement pedestal (when covered by snow) or the super charger itself. This is the Grand Rapids site:

Grand-Rapids.jpg