Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Cambridge, ON

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wayner

Oct 29, 2014
Toronto
It seems like SCs are being found at the rate of about one per week. One location that will be very useful for folks going west from Toronto is the Cambridge site. Presumably that would be around 401/24 maybe by the SmartCentre with a Walmart. Has anyone looked there?

I don't think we should make threads like this because if so, there will be threads about all the Supercharger locations that are supposed to be finished in 2017. I could make one about the Pointe-Claire Supercharger being at Fairview PC

• Disagree
Reactions: Drone Flyer
It seems like SCs are being found at the rate of about one per week. One location that will be very useful for folks going west from Toronto is the Cambridge site. Presumably that would be around 401/24 maybe by the SmartCentre with a Walmart. Has anyone looked there?

I was casually informed quite some time ago by a contact of mine in the utility business that they had begun electrical planning for it at the SmartCentres big box mall at Hespeler Rd. (Hwy. 24) and 401.This is actually a really good spot with easy on/off access from the 401 in both directions and lots of shops and restaurants.

I haven't heard of any further activity beyond planning. Perhaps Tesla has not given it as high of a priority compared to some of the other sites.

I haven't heard of any further activity beyond planning. Perhaps Tesla has not given it as high of a priority compared to some of the other sites.
That's a shame Mike as, IMHO, this site is needed more than some of the sites in the GTA. Going from Toronto-Stratford or even Toronto-Kitchener can be dicey in cold weather. In the past I have detoured from Stratford to Woodstock on my way back to Toronto for a bit of Supercharging to ensure that I had enough juice to get home, and that was a bit out of the way. And this will give you an option other than Woodstock for Toronto-London travel, especially if you don't have destination charging and London is really lacking for EV charging.

I was in London this week as I was spending a day at UWO. There is no charging on campus and my preferred hotels did not have any charging nearby so I had to stay at a less preferred hotel that had a couple of HPWCs.

The other sites in the GTA are nice to have but Cambridge will really help to facilitate highway travel. I would have preferred to have seen this site get priority. But once they are all built no one will remember.

Last edited:
That's a shame Mike as, IMHO, this site is needed more than some of the sites in the GTA.

I agree it is an ideal site. I should point out that just because I haven't heard of any activity, it doesn't mean there isn't any. I heard about the planning a while back, but haven't heard any more, nor have I been out that way in a while. Tesla does like the players, including utilities, to keep things confidential. Once ground is broken, all bets are off. My suggestion for anyone out that way is to keep an eye on that location.

That's a shame Mike as, IMHO, this site is needed more than some of the sites in the GTA. Going from Toronto-Stratford or even Toronto-Kitchener can be dicey in cold weather. In the past I have detoured from Stratford to Woodstock on my way back to Toronto for a bit of Supercharging to ensure that I had enough juice to get home, and that was a bit out of the way. And this will give you an option other than Woodstock for Toronto-London travel, especially if you don't have destination charging and London is really lacking for EV charging.

I was in London this week as I was spending a day at UWO. There is no charging on campus and my preferred hotels did not have any charging nearby so I had to stay at a less preferred hotel that had a couple of HPWCs.

The other sites in the GTA are nice to have but Cambridge will really help to facilitate highway travel. I would have preferred to have seen this site get priority. But once they are all built no one will remember.
The BW in London has a Sun Country charger! I used it several times in the Winter of 2014!

I stayed at the TownePlace Suites by the 401 and they have two HPWCs and two L2s. But I would have preferred to stay at the Station Park Inn on Richmond Row. It seems that more of the lower/mid end hotels near the 401 have chargers but not the more business-oriented hotels in the downtown area and there are only a couple of L2 chargers downtown - one at the arena parking lot and one at city hall.

Wayner et al,
You are right about London not having a lot of Level 2 or 3 chargers and a SC out by the 401 or 402 Hwy would be great. If, however, you are at UWO and need a charge to get to Woodstock's SuperCharger, check-in at my house that is 5 minutes from UWO. I am on Plugshare in North London under David's Home Charger with an 80Amp Tesla HPWC. Happy travelling.

• Helpful
Reactions: MarcoRP
SW Ontario SCs.png
Thanks Max. SW Ontario is really kind of left out in the SuperCharger plan even if they complete everything currently planned for 2018. Very low density once you get W of K-W. Yet Lake Ontario is ringed by them.

SW Ontario is really kind of left out in the SuperCharger plan even if they complete everything currently planned for 2018. Very low density once you get W of K-W. Yet Lake Ontario is ringed by them.

Tesla's strategy has clearly changed. It used to be that Superchargers were not placed where owners are, but rather between the locations they wished to travel to. Personally, I wish they'd fill in travel routes before jamming them into urban areas, but likely it is the only way they can sell cars.

Tesla's strategy has clearly changed. It used to be that Superchargers were not placed where owners are, but rather between the locations they wished to travel to. Personally, I wish they'd fill in travel routes before jamming them into urban areas, but likely it is the only way they can sell cars.
I get that but, as you know, SW Ontario is not a rural wasteland. Surely London deserves an SC? It will be the largest metropolitan area in Canada without an SC, taking that distinction from Winnipeg after Winnipeg's gets built.

We routinely had to detour to the Woodstock Supercharger driving from UWO in London going back up to Owen Sound in the winter because of the lack of charging in the north of the city. In the warm months the 30 amp charger at the TD bank near Masonville shopping centre gave us just enough extra charge, after an hour or so eating at the Tony Roma’s next door, to just make it back home with a few km range left. A few times we limped into the 80 amp SunCountry Highway chargers in Hanover, in cooler weather. But in winter it was always a detour to Woodstock. So can definitely vouch for southwestern Ontario being a bit of an empty area, but there are now some Chademo chargers in the area, non-KSI thank goodness, so it is getting better.

So an urban Supercharger in London would really help travel north of the city as well as along the east west corridor.

I get that but, as you know, SW Ontario is not a rural wasteland. Surely London deserves an SC? It will be the largest metropolitan area in Canada without an SC, taking that distinction from Winnipeg after Winnipeg's gets built.

Don't disagree at all. I wonder if the planned Strathroy site is meant to address that? But yeah, Woodstock to Comber is a long haul down the 401 with nothing in between.London (along the 401) and even somewhere around Dutton or West Lorne are certainly needed.

Mid-west Ontario is pretty sparsely served also. Anything in the Goderich-Port Elgin-Hanover triangle is rough to get around as well.

Yes, they could use at least one more on the highway plus one in the city for condo dwellers, etc. Strathroy is 37km from downtown London, that's too far to be an urban SC.

I wonder if London has a lot of condo/apartment dwellers in the Tesla snack-bracket in the first place? (No offense intended) My recollection of my time spent their while our kids were at Western is that it is more of a single family home environment than, say, Toronto. (My wife really came to like London and still talks about wanting to move there).