Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Cape May, NJ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good bet
82860BC3-CB5E-4F0C-9516-7DF48F09ABB5.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: PLUS EV and Thinkje
He was legally parked in a 30 minute general parking spot. It sounds more like you were staring him down. Stay calm.

I don’t think I suggested I was anything other than calm. “Legally” doesn’t apply. It was a Tesla-branded sign not some official government thing. There were plenty of other easy to maneuver, isolated spots in the lot that did not block a charger, but this couple chose that one. They didn’t break any rules parking where they did, but it certainly isn’t the way I would have behaved.

I wasn’t staring this couple down. They pulled in and pointedly stared down my family of 4 for multiple minutes as we got out of the car, and then spoke rudely to my wife when we had not spoken to them or done anything other than get our kids out of the back seat. “Sounds like” you’ve got an agenda you’re projecting onto me.

Submitted location to Google maps while I charged up (under review). Also submitted to plugshare and then realized you're not supposed to submit superchargers to plugshare (should have googled first when the Supercharger wasn't a connection type). Sorry! I marked my own submission as inaccurate. Thanks again to those that verified it working late last week.

Reactions: geowhjr
Also submitted to plugshare and then realized you're not supposed to submit superchargers to plugshare (should have googled first when the Supercharger wasn't a connection type).

I did the same a couple weeks ago with a location in Chicago. Didn't know SC's got added automagically. My entry was there, then they took it down, then it came back again officially and my pictures made it in. So in the end it all worked out.

Reactions: model3fan
In case anyone finds post down the road since I didn't want to add to the mistaken plugshare entey, i confirmed acme open till 11pm but CVS is 24 hour in the strip mall. There's soft pretzel store and McDonald's within walking distance, too
There’s also a decent Japanese/Thai (Murasaki) restaurant on the opposite end of the parking lot adjacent to Staples. We tried it out for lunch today. It was good. And the Superchargers worked well too.

Anyone have issues with $$ here? I know i am going to sound cheap, but i was charged $8.10 to put 60 miles of charge on (charge time approximately 1 hour, and no where near max battery capacity). I usually spend 8 for a whole charge (200+ miles) This just does not seem riggt to me. Anyone else have similar issues?

Anyone have issues with $$ here? I know i am going to sound cheap, but i was charged $8.10 to put 60 miles of charge on (charge time approximately 1 hour, and no where near max battery capacity). I usually spend 8 for a whole charge (200+ miles) This just does not seem riggt to me. Anyone else have similar issues?
NJ rates are by the minute, so if you’re getting a slow rate of transfer, it can be pricy. You’d want to make sure that your battery temperature is optimized, which means 90F. If you’re driving a 3, battery preconditioning will come on if you put the supercharger as your destination in Nav. If you’re just driving over from Avalon in a cold soaked car, you’re going to be paying a lot more. Plan accordingly. Also, you’ll get a slow rate if you’re just topping off. Knowing what car you have would be helpful since S/X can’t charge as fast as the 3.

Reactions: Big Earl
NJ rates are by the minute, so if you’re getting a slow rate of transfer, it can be pricy. You’d want to make sure that your battery temperature is optimized, which means 90F. If you’re driving a 3, battery preconditioning will come on if you put the supercharger as your destination in Nav. If you’re just driving over from Avalon in a cold soaked car, you’re going to be paying a lot more. Plan accordingly. Also, you’ll get a slow rate if you’re just topping off. Knowing what car you have would be helpful since S/X can’t charge as fast as the 3.
All of the above rings true (December, quick top off from Avalon in prep for a longer trip in my Model 3), etc but certainly not a unique charging experience. Similar charges at this location have run me in the $2-3 range.

Several of the chargers at this supercharger are charging at lower rates -- 63kW max -- no matter how much range you have when you plug in. Some of the chargers are fine. I have called Tesla Supercharger support each of the last two weeks to let them know. The 2nd time they claimed they had received no complaints about the site. So I don't have a lot of confidence that they will do anything about it.

• Funny
Reactions: PLUS EV
Several of the chargers at this supercharger are charging at lower rates -- 63kW max -- no matter how much range you have when you plug in. Some of the chargers are fine. I have called Tesla Supercharger support each of the last two weeks to let them know. The 2nd time they claimed they had received no complaints about the site. So I don't have a lot of confidence that they will do anything about it.

These are paired V2 superchargers. You'll get up to 144 kW nominal if you aren't paired with someone, but battery heating and climate control can steal up to 10 kW of that. If you're paired with someone else, you'll get 72 kW, but again, battery heating and climate control can steal up to 10 kW of that. So it sounds like it's functioning normally to me.

If I’m on a schedule, I’ll have expectations on charging speed based on previous rules of thumb. If I’m getting half that, I’ll move to a different number pedestal and often see the situation rectified. It can happen in unpaired situations. I’ve not found Cape May to be particularly robust. I’ve watched a lot of Netflix there.