Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Car Body damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used the 1A charger at Meridian Mississippi supercharger on May 31 2021. Due to faulty install of parking block in the 1A slot, my model Y got few body damages in the front/left side.
Tesla service center believes this is driving fault and I end up paying for the damages. :(

Attachments

• PXL_20210531_155848864.jpg
    PXL_20210531_155848864.jpg
    628.4 KB · Views: 103
  • PXL_20210531_155832431.jpg
    PXL_20210531_155832431.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 96
  • PXL_20210531_155823881.jpg
    PXL_20210531_155823881.jpg
    937.5 KB · Views: 78
  • Funny
Reactions: Velcade
I do not understand how this is Tesla or anyone else's fault.. It is vehicle operator's responsibility to park without damaging one's vehicle or surrounding objects.. I get that it is frustrating that parking block had a faulty installation or what not. However, it is still your responsibility to know when to stop pulling/backing in...

Anyhow, I wish you a luck in repairing the damage! That must be frustrating experience!

I can definitely understand the bolt shouldn’t be sticking out of the parking block. However, I have to agree with longhorn that you have to pay attention to where you are parking. That would be like going into Walmart and asking them to pay for damage because you damaged your vehicle on one of their curbs. They wouldn’t pay for the damage anymore than Tesla would. I never pull the front end of my vehicle over curbs/parking blocks.

Reactions: 101dals
Not sure if you can say faulty install. These chargers have been at that mall for some time now. If anyone is responsible for the maintenance for this, that would be the mall. I've been there 2 years ago and don't remember seeing any of those issues. Always be on the lookout for any parking spot such as this. I don't even like driving over speed bumps that are made of plastic that uses the same retainers.

This is when I wish the Tesla had a proper 360-view camera that shows the front/rear/wheels of the car. This helps tremendously with my other cars, so that I never have the curbstop go under the overhang... Especially since on my other car, the front air splitter is lower than many curb stops.

Reactions: Fourdoor
Personably, when using my Tesla I never get close enough to curbs for this to happen. I give myself plenty of space.

I came from driving a full size truck for years and the curbs were used/bumped to know when to stop, otherwise you stuck out too far.

I can definitely understand the bolt shouldn’t be sticking out of the parking block. However, I have to agree with longhorn that you have to pay attention to where you are parking. That would be like going into Walmart and asking them to pay for damage because you damaged your vehicle on one of their curbs. They wouldn’t pay for the damage anymore than Tesla would. I never pull the front end of my vehicle over curbs/parking blocks.
Walmart and other stores have disclaimers that they do not cover damages caused in parking lot by shopping cart and other hardware. Tesla superchargers don't have those disclaimers :) This incident didn't happen in a free parking block next to supercharger. It is the super-charging block itself where Tesla has the block installed based on how how high and far it should be to allow their cars to be parked as close to the short charging cable as possible. Else the mall already has another concrete block in front (3rd pic).

I do not understand how this is Tesla or anyone else's fault.. It is vehicle operator's responsibility to park without damaging one's vehicle or surrounding objects.. I get that it is frustrating that parking block had a faulty installation or what not. However, it is still your responsibility to know when to stop pulling/backing in...

Anyhow, I wish you a luck in repairing the damage! That must be frustrating experience!
yupp. lesson learnt the hard way. When we pull in supercharger, all we pay attention is that are we close enough to the short charging cable or not without hitting other items around. Definitely need to work on my under-the-hood visibility skills next time. :)

Not sure if you can say faulty install. These chargers have been at that mall for some time now. If anyone is responsible for the maintenance for this, that would be the mall. I've been there 2 years ago and don't remember seeing any of those issues. Always be on the lookout for any parking spot such as this. I don't even like driving over speed bumps that are made of plastic that uses the same retainers.
I should have checked the plugshare pictures/review of this parking block and avoided it. Just that when I pulled in the mall, Tesla's full-self driving didn't kick in like they had promised it will be available by 2020 year end. Else could have watched the plugshare app instead of driving the car into alternate vacant spot. :)

yupp. lesson learnt the hard way. When we pull in supercharger, all we pay attention is that are we close enough to the short charging cable or not without hitting other items around. Definitely need to work on my under-the-hood visibility skills next time. :)
I feel you. I almost damaged my MY few weeks after picking it up when I went to Targrt nearby my house.. the car is surprising low considering the fact that it is SUV...

I hope that the repair doesn't cost too much! 👍

I'm with you on this one. While you should always try your best to drive and park with caution, a damaged stop with a spike sticking out is a faulty unsafe device not properly maintained. I don't know who would be responsible for the lack of maintenance but whoever is responsible they likely have insurance. Posting some sort of signage that the property owner is not responsible for unsafe parking lot devices never releases them of liability. Those notices are to scare people into doing nothing. This is not the same as you getting a flat tire because of some nail you got in your tire because there is no proof you got that nail in their parking lot. However, here you have evidence the property owner didn't maintain their property in a way that is safe.
I would contact your insurance and with your pictures, let them decide what to do. You may be still on your own depending on the damage and your deductible.

Reactions: loreto
I think I used the wrong term. This is called a wheelstop and I am supposed to drive slowly until my wheel stops. I did that. Plugshare has other Model 3/Y damage reports with pictures. I am sure they did the same. Stopped when the wheel couldn't 'drive over it'

Those aren't designed as a way to show you where to stop. They're designed to not allow you to do any further.

This is when I wish the Tesla had a proper 360-view camera that shows the front/rear/wheels of the car. This helps tremendously with my other cars, so that I never have the curbstop go under the overhang... Especially since on my other car, the front air splitter is lower than many curb stops.
Agree 100%. And by the looks of the UI in the new Plaid, this feature didn't make it in. Almost every car brand has this feature now. Guess in addition to stalks and non-yoke steering wheels, Tesla decides whether we really need the value of the 360 deg bird's-eye view.