Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Carlsbad, CA (7710 El Camino Real, LIVE 27 Sep 2018, 26 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator note: this thread was created on 01-17-2018 from posts made in the first thread about a future Carlsbad Supercharge at Supercharger - Carlsbad, The Shoppes, 2525 El Camino Real (permit found, construction not started) . After that thread started, a separate city of Carlsbad permit for a Tesla Supercharger was found for a different address in the city, 7710 El Camino Real. After some discussion, and after construction planning (as verified by @Cosmacelf) began at that address, this thread was created for that site. As I write this, construction has not started for the 2525 El Camino Real address, which can be discussed here Supercharger - Carlsbad, The Shoppes, 2525 El Camino Real (permit found, construction not started) . My apologies for inadvertently contributing to the confusion about the two permitted Tesla Superchargers sites in the city Carlsbad. Carry on... :)
—————————————————————————————

I am worried the permit may not have been approved at The Shoppes. I see a newer request for a location in LaCosta area. Not a fan of this location at all.

http://www.carlsbadca.gov/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?BlobID=28001

Last edited by a moderator:
Could this be another location in Carlsbad? This was posted on SD Tesla Owners Facebook group.
upload_2017-12-19_11-17-47.png

So far as adding this new site to supercharge.info.. what are the thoughts from the locals here (relative to me, that's all of you!)?

Move the Carlsbad pin, or add a new one ("La Costa, CA" perhaps)?

At this point I'm assuming they are abandoning the first location since no progress has happened for so long. The new location I'm excited about because its 5 minutes from my house. But I agree the initial location was much more convenient (for the majority) along the 5 and 78.

This new location though is in a shopping mall that has been a ghost town for years, so they is plenty of free parking spaces there, and still not too far from the freeway.

I live close - I'll try to get by the new location and look around. Last summer that lot was used by a local car dealer to store extra inventory. It may be distance wise further from the 5, but its a very fast scenic drive down La Costa (2 miles maybe)

For the time being, both sites are marked as "permit" on supercharge.info, as technically that's correct. No harm in deleting one later if it never eventuates.

I've gotta say, looking at the map and seeing the San Diego area with 3 permits just got me going from six to midnight. Too bad one of them will likely not come to fruition. A guy can dream!

For the time being, both sites are marked as "permit" on supercharge.info, as technically that's correct. No harm in deleting one later if it never eventuates.

Apparently, the city owns the parking lot land at the Carlsbad mall location, but the mall owner has to agree to have the superchargers. No idea if this is has anything to do with the delay.

I would guess the owner of the other location (La Costa) is much more accommodating. As someone else said, the time required to get to either location from I-5 is pretty comparable when traffic is heavy. I hope to see chargers at both locations, but seems pretty optimistic.

3BF2E9F4-57D4-410E-B075-D546932CDFDE.jpeg EAFFA659-DAED-428A-A53C-D1F626BBA070.jpeg Here are a couple pics from the 2nd location that I luckily discovered when googling for updates online and posted to the FB group! I had to do a drive by and take some photos. Not sure if the cornered area is anything to do with the charging area as it was a good 2-300 feet south from the listed address. Hope both sites to up. But this new one is near my home so would actually be my preference. If anyone has time you could always get geeky and call the contact in Seattle up and simply ask perhaps they work for Tesla.

Also, right nearby (33°05'03.5"N 117°15'59.1"W) there is another parking lot that is right next to a high voltage line.
Speculating this may be the spot, I asked a family member who lives next to the location to scout it. Here's the pictures and report:

No construction activity to report. The parking lot is elevated and secluded. Looks perfect for a supercharger. Distribution equipment at the base of the driveway. Very few stop lights along la Costa off the freeway makes it a quick drive. Shopping center is underwhelming. Gym and jazzercise. A lot of vacancy in this center. Shopping center across the street has several amenities.

Screen Shot 2017-12-24 at 5.20.53 AM.png
IMG_0258.jpg
IMG_0259.jpg

For travelers, this new location is pretty close to the 5 freeway, timewise. There is only one light along La Costa before you get to the intersection. And while this location is pretty secluded, the mall across the street has a Starbucks, pizza place, and bagel shop.

For travelers, this new location is pretty close to the 5 freeway, timewise. There is only one light along La Costa before you get to the intersection. And while this location is pretty secluded, the mall across the street has a Starbucks, pizza place, and bagel shop.

...not to mention Broken Yolk, Thai food, taco shop and Gelson's grocery store, which is probably better than a movie theater/mall parking lot where people might overstay and is less likely to be iced for sure.

Reactions: IceAge