Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Carlsbad, CA (7710 El Camino Real, LIVE 27 Sep 2018, 26 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
026FD395-A7D7-4112-B0EE-FBC8AEBF8899.jpeg
With certainty, they are building a retaining wall. The beams now line up with the part of hillside they’ve shaved off. Looks like it will make the entrance curve a little bit bigger and add protection to the lot and their equipment.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Doug Martoccia
Hokie12's initial drone pictures from May 27 show how much room remains at this site for additional charging units. I can see almost exactly where the 20 units will be located, including the two (handicapped) units in the lower parking lot, and several where the retaining wall begins. However, I believe the site was permitted for 26 units. I'm assuming the additional 6 units will be installed sometime in the future when/if the site is expanded. It just seems to me that installing all 26 permitted units at one time would make economic sense...but I'm not an economist, nor a rocket scientist...

At the shareholder's meeting, Elon said they are nearly ready to introduce a new type of supercharger that will be much faster than we have now. He said these would begin being installed at new locations by the end of this year, and that new supercharger locations would also dramatically increase. Perhaps an expansion could use the new models?

Previous to the construction, this parking lot held over 50 parking spaces. Check out the Google Earth view. Of course, part of the area will be taken by the infrastructure needed to support the chargers, but there should still be plenty of room for future expansion.

Maybe, but you'd think that an expansion of this location would be a while down the road. I mean, it isn't even built yet. Also, these are 72 kW urban style Superchargers, so not sure if those will ever get an upgrade. By using urban style, Tesla is saying that this location is meant for local charging, not fast charging for freeway travelers.

Maybe, but you'd think that an expansion of this location would be a while down the road. I mean, it isn't even built yet. Also, these are 72 kW urban style Superchargers, so not sure if those will ever get an upgrade. By using urban style, Tesla is saying that this location is meant for local charging, not fast charging for freeway travelers.

Maybe they are planning ahead for v3 of the Superchargers...

By using urban style, Tesla is saying that this location is meant for local charging, not fast charging for freeway travelers.
I am not sure that is entirely correct. Urban chargers offer the ability to guarantee a reasonably fast rate of charge when paired, even if not as fast as the standard "classic" style. To me, it seems that the target would not necessarily be for local charging, but for crowded charging. Now, perhaps the need for locals to charge makes a site crowded, but that is not necessarily the point and the subject of a different discussion.

The sacrifice of using Urban charging would be the inability to get the really fast charge if unpaired, something, as you suggest, would be highly desirable for many freeway travelers going long distances. Given the crowded nature of certain sites though, the chances of being unpaired are so rare, they might as well make them Urban. I actually wonder if there would be an improvement in charging experience if the SD Qualcomm was converted to urban-style chargers. Imagine arriving there knowing you will get 72 kw no matter how long the queue.

Now, that brings me to a question, as I have never used an Urban-style charger: Given that If I start off typically at 112 or so, and rapidly taper down as my charge increases, would I, at an urban charger, maintain the 72 kw rate for a longer time before the taper begins? That would make sense.

From today. A forest of I beams. My best guess now is that they will put up forms between these beams and pour concrete walls? Then stucco finish it? Seems like overkill. But given how they are constructing this, I don't know what else they would be doing. Also odd to uncover I beams that have been buried in concrete? Anyone have a clue?

01b508bf4f1ea36679d200b6ed0.jpg
n1.jpg
n2.jpg

I cycled by this site in the morning, there were people actively working there, although it didn't look much different than the pictures recently posted. I didn't take the time to take pictures, but just wanted to report that there were several people standing around the pillars. The pillars were all vertical, but still different lengths.