Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Carlsbad, CA (7710 El Camino Real, LIVE 27 Sep 2018, 26 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone else see this picture? TMC has problems with large picture sizes I think. TMC throws up an error when I click on it.

I can see the photo from @gilscales, but not from the post above that. I believe the photo is of what’s known as a lagging wall.

According to this site (Retaining Walls), lagging walls are fast to construct. Haha!

But if that’s what it is, it doesn’t explain why there are multiple rows and why the beams (aka soldier piles) seem to be at random heights.

Reactions: JeffnReno
960x0.jpg
Best theory so far! Come on, anyone else have a guess?

• Funny
Reactions: JeffnReno and Kuhz
bummer, is it correct that there are no destination chargers in carlsbad that arent reserved for patrons of hotels?

Most of the locations in Tesla's destination charging program say "for patrons only". It seems to be the default. But it's still worth calling and asking. I had luck charging at one of these in another part of California when I was not a patron. And of course there are lots of other charging options on plugshare.

Last edited:
myke I might take you up on that! We are staying at the Hilton Marbrisa by legoland and my best option was a plugshare J1772 that was super slow haha

Looks to me like you can park right beside the hotel around the back. There are what looks like exterior plugs redibly accessible from a car parking spot. They would be 20A plugs. If I were you, I’d get a NEMA 5-20 adapter from Tesla and just plug in overnight. You’d get something like 60 to 70 miles of charge overnight.

Reactions: Chancellor32
Do you have a gen2 Tesla Mobile Connector? Then, yes, those are the adapters, you’d just need the NEMA 5-20. If you have a generation 1 Mobile Connector, then Tesla sells a 5-20 adapter for that one too. You can use the supplied 5-15 adapter, but in a modern hotel, those external plugs will all be 20A, so you’d get a faster charge with the 5-20.

I just looked at google images of that hotel. I’d give them a call and see what they say about plugging into the external power plugs. Or just go ahead and do it.