Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Carlsbad, CA (7710 El Camino Real, LIVE 27 Sep 2018, 26 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s a gen 1. Gen 2 for Model S/X only came out this year or so.

But look at the adapters you have. If they have pigtails like the ones in your picture then they are gen 2. If the adapters fit in your hand, they are gen 1.

Rode by again this morning. One cherry picker/crane and one person standing next to it. I was on my way to work and didn't want to take the time to talk with them, so I just snapped this photo from a distance. Hmm, having trouble uploading the image. I tried to reducing the size, different browsers. I clicked on "Upload an Image/File", selected the .jpg and momentarily saw a status bar, then that disappeared and the following window popped up:

The following error occurred

There was a problem uploading your file.
IMG_20180619small.jpg

Will try again later - suffice it to say that the site doesn't look much different than last week, but there are people around and doing stuff (probably out of sight).

Rode by again this morning. One cherry picker/crane and one person standing next to it. I was on my way to work and didn't want to take the time to talk with them, so I just snapped this photo from a distance. Hmm, having trouble uploading the image. I tried to reducing the size, different browsers. I clicked on "Upload an Image/File", selected the .jpg and momentarily saw a status bar, then that disappeared and the following window popped up:

The following error occurred

There was a problem uploading your file.
IMG_20180619small.jpg

Will try again later - suffice it to say that the site doesn't look much different than last week, but there are people around and doing stuff (probably out of sight).

The forum has been having lots of problems with images, recently. You might want to report it here:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/images-on-tmc-glitchy.116882/

La Costa Coffee which is close by has two free 6kw chargers. A few hotels nearby have destination chargers. They never seem to be used, you could get some food or a cocktail and charge there. I believe they are a bit faster than the Volta chargers at La Costa Coffee. Lazy Acres off of Encinitas Blvd also has free 6kw chargers.

I am not sure that is entirely correct. Urban chargers offer the ability to guarantee a reasonably fast rate of charge when paired, even if not as fast as the standard "classic" style. To me, it seems that the target would not necessarily be for local charging, but for crowded charging. Now, perhaps the need for locals to charge makes a site crowded, but that is not necessarily the point and the subject of a different discussion.

The sacrifice of using Urban charging would be the inability to get the really fast charge if unpaired, something, as you suggest, would be highly desirable for many freeway travelers going long distances. Given the crowded nature of certain sites though, the chances of being unpaired are so rare, they might as well make them Urban. I actually wonder if there would be an improvement in charging experience if the SD Qualcomm was converted to urban-style chargers. Imagine arriving there knowing you will get 72 kw no matter how long the queue.

Now, that brings me to a question, as I have never used an Urban-style charger: Given that If I start off typically at 112 or so, and rapidly taper down as my charge increases, would I, at an urban charger, maintain the 72 kw rate for a longer time before the taper begins? That would make sense.
I have been questioning the reasoning for installing urban chargers versus the regular high-speed chargers we are all used to. I also had never used an urban charger until last Thursday at the Downey supercharger site. All 12 chargers there were the urban type. As we approached my GPS said that 8 of the 12 chargers were being used. I figured I'd be sharing with someone already plugged in and only get the left over dregs. Then, I saw they were all urban chargers! Everyone there was backed in, so I found the nearest charging spot and expertly backed in, trying to look like a pro. who does this on a daily basis; I'm not, but don't want to look incompetent at backing up! I exited the car and walked to the rear to plug in. There was no charger there...WTF? For some still unknown reason two of the 12 chargers, all 12 of them in a single line, were at the front instead of the rear (the right front for a backed in car)! So now, feeling like a rookie horses ass, I had to pull all the way forward, make a looping turn and head forward into the spot to charge. These two head-in spots were not for Model X cars with trailers, because there was no room in the aisle-way for a trailer to be jutting out, nor were they wider handicapped spots. They were the same size as the other slots. It was as if they randomly chose two separated spots in the line for people to pull into, rather than back into...why not have all 12 as pull in charging spaces? There was room for either. What threw me off was that the urban chargers are smaller and I didn't see that two were at the front of the parking spaces; I was more concerned about using my backup camera to fit between the cars already there!

However, the charging experience with the urban charger was great. I had about 85 miles of charge, enough to get home to Carlsbad, but I wanted to make sure I had plenty of juice, and wanted an iced latte at the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf store conveniently located in the lot. I got the full 72kWh charge right away, and by the time my wife and I had our lattes and used the bathroom, the car had charged to 220 miles. I was still getting 71/72kWh when we stopped charging (Model S 75D), and we were off for home. So, my first urban charger experience in a relatively full lot was great, better than expected, and it has changed my mind about having 20 urban chargers at 7710 El Camino Real...which will probably be a heavily used charging site. It should be just fine.

Moderator note: Yes this thread is about the new “coming soon” Carlsbad Supercharger and issues specific to it. That said, before a Supercharger becomes operational I try to allow some latitude in the discussion. Once the Supercharger opens for business I request that people focus the discussion on the new location.

But lengthy discussions about Legoland and posts about the Urban Superchargers in Downey may get moved...

Sorry about posting about my experience at the Downey supercharger site using urban type chargers, but there have been members questioning the reasoning of using this type of charger at Carlsbad's 7710 El Camino site, and whether they would be adequate here. I, as well as others, had not used urban type chargers before. I was using Downey as an example of how the urban chargers might work at 7710. Additionally, there are pull in and back in charger slots at both locations which might be of interest to those who will be using the Carlsbad site, but if my post isn't responsive to those using this thread, then do what you will with it.

Sorry about posting about my experience at the Downey supercharger site using urban type chargers, but there have been members questioning the reasoning of using this type of charger at Carlsbad's 7710 El Camino site, and whether they would be adequate here. I, as well as others, had not used urban type chargers before. I was using Downey as an example of how the urban chargers might work at 7710. Additionally, there are pull in and back in charger slots at both locations which might be of interest to those who will be using the Carlsbad site, but if my post isn't responsive to those using this thread, then do what you will with it.
I , for one, appreciate your post on your experience with the urban charger and feel it is well placed in this thread since that is what is being put in at LaCosta.

hot dang Plus EV I would hate to be as uptight as you are. Sorry for asking a couple questions about charging in an area im not super familiar with since I have owned my Tesla. If you ever come to AZ you might see that the people here are pretty chill and laid back and welcome all questions about Tesla
Don’t feel bad. If we are going to talk about a charging station In An area, then we need to talk about charging in an area. This site is not just about construction, but about the use and need for these hangers in an area. I’m watching this site being built, because we will be in the area end of July andnfirst of aug. you are okay.

Reactions: Cosmacelf
I didn’t think anyone was being out of line up until this point, even the gentle reminder of the thread’s title from PLUSEV. Let’s just chill out and if anything winds up being inappropriate the mods will take care of it.