Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Carlsbad, CA (7710 El Camino Real, LIVE 27 Sep 2018, 26 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the image from Monday. One cherry picker/crane and one person standing next to it (behind the tree/fencing). I was on my way to work and didn't want to take the time to talk with them, so I just snapped this photo from a distance and tried not to draw attention to myself.
IMG_20180619small.jpg

Looks like it will require a hell of a lot of concrete!
Since there are numerous types of concrete in various strengths as required for different applications, the actual thickness of the concrete can be determined by the amount of weight it will be supporting and whether reinforced with rebar, metal mess, embedded fiber etc. and the bottom could be filled with some type of aggregate such as gravel, sand, etc. so what you think may be alot of concrete may not really be that much once completed. If you've ever seen a patio poured on a hillside, you would know they build outside footing walls and then fill the inside with aggregate before finishing it off with a top surface. When finished, it looks like one giant concrete block but in reality it's a concrete box filled with something and topped with concrete.

• Informative
Reactions: Cosmacelf and bmah
Since there are numerous types of concrete in various strengths as required for different applications, the actual thickness of the concrete can be determined by the amount of weight it will be supporting and whether reinforced with rebar, metal mess, embedded fiber etc. and the bottom could be filled with some type of aggregate such as gravel, sand, etc. so what you think may be alot of concrete may not really be that much once completed. If you've ever seen a patio poured on a hillside, you would know they build outside footing walls and then fill the inside with aggregate before finishing it off with a top surface. When finished, it looks like one giant concrete block but in reality it's a concrete box filled with something and topped with concrete.

I'm just judging by how much space there is between the top of the form and the dirt. They've got to fill that with something. Perhaps gravel, like you say. But from what I've seen, most construction would pack down a bunch of dirt with a some sort of tamping machine so they don't need to buy a ton of gravel. Since the form appears to already be there, I think they're past the tamping down dirt phase.

Reactions: JeffnReno

Thanks - your explanation sounds likely. We know that the retaining wall on the bottom hillside, the one down slope from this upper parking lot, is failing. It wouldn't be surprising if Carlsbad permitting asked for a more robust construction technique for this new retaining wall.

Reactions: JeffnReno
Anybody thought to ask the workers what it will look like?
A couple of us have asked questions of supervisors about various aspects of the project (see earlier posts) when we were called over by them. They questioned us about our intensions, and given safety lectures, even though we didn't go inside their barriers. Several weeks ago when asked about the purpose of the "I" beams they were beginning to set, the foreman said it would be apparent soon. He said Tesla does not want them to discuss what they are doing. So, I don't think much would be learned asking questions about the platform. I held beyond Top Secret Clearance for many years; Tesla must also hire employees and subcontractors who adhere to the motto, "loose lips sink ships." I was told they also monitor this forum...so, good job guys Tesla would be proud. BTW if you have any questions, my license plate is shown in the upper left corner of this post, but I won't be anywhere inside your fence to answer.

A couple of us have asked questions of supervisors about various aspects of the project (see earlier posts) when we were called over by them. They questioned us about our intensions, and given safety lectures, even though we didn't go inside their barriers. Several weeks ago when asked about the purpose of the "I" beams they were beginning to set, the foreman said it would be apparent soon. He said Tesla does not want them to discuss what they are doing. So, I don't think much would be learned asking questions about the platform. I held beyond Top Secret Clearance for many years; Tesla must also hire employees and subcontractors who adhere to the motto, "loose lips sink ships." I was told they also monitor this forum...so, good job guys Tesla would be proud. BTW if you have any questions, my license plate is shown in the upper left corner of this post, but I won't be anywhere inside your fence to answer.
These guys sound more like government workers than private. Not sure what Tesla gets out of wanting to hide the info when I am sure it can be found out in simpler ways (i.e. planning Dept). But, thanks for the post.

Wait a second: if you know something that is already within the public domain, why not share?
I don't know if there is anything public, that is why I'm asking if anyone who has access, as some have in the past, to look and see if they can find anything to share. If there is nothing now, then some monitoring may be required. Meanwhile, we can "enjoy" the unusual but steady progress being made at 7710 El Camino Real. I'm one who doesn't think that site will be completed and activated in July, but the future looks good!