Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Carlsbad, CA (7710 El Camino Real, LIVE 27 Sep 2018, 26 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tried it out tonight (got P3D delivery today - I am in love) and decided to walk around the shopping plaza under construction. Interestingly enough, quite a few businesses are still open. In the furthest corner is a nearly packed but very cozy "La Costa Wine" joint - for those who want to relax with a glass of vino and some bread/cheese might find it quite agreeable. Also I think there was a Pizza Hut a few doors away - didn't look too closely.

Charged for a bit today in one of the lower stalls as i was in the area. Didn't see much in the plaza other than the equinox and the bank. Everything seems under construction. Nice to see more chargers opening though. Now need more in OC. :D

Reactions: Cosmacelf
In San Diego it is A-O-K to be homeless, but God Forbid anyone actually Sleep in their car. Sleep in a tent on the sidewalk or in an alley, or even a park bench and you are good to go. But sleeping in a car and you are a Big Time Criminal.... We just LOVE our City Council out here. How Wise and All-Knowing they are.
Guessing that law enforcement favors that arrangement. Gives them "probable cause" that a crime is being committed, and they can scoop up a few more DUI's that way, with people trying to sleep it off before actually driving. And, yes, the homeless problem has been fully mishandled by local and state political leaders.

Reactions: Vern Padgett
I visited Carlsbad on Saturday afternoon. 18 of the 20 were occupied... One other comment..They should place a trash can somewhere near or around the Supercharger.... Also..noticed the base in place (near the stairs) for a light pole..

Yes I was there last Sunday afternoon and it was full.

It is pretty quiet at night but they can definitely use some more lighting.

Maybe they'd rather wait in line than drive another 36 miles round-trip to potentially wait in line anyway.
That additional drive is really only applicable for local users. Travelers down the 5 are not inconvenienced at all by the Carlsbad location. I understand that there are other routes in and out of San Diego, which the Carmel Mtn location should assist with.

Reactions: Graffi
That additional drive is really only applicable for local users. Travelers down the 5 are not inconvenienced at all by the Carlsbad location. I understand that there are other routes in and out of San Diego, which the Carmel Mtn location should assist with.
When I'm down in that area, we stay at our timeshare in Solana Beach. Been watching for this Carlsbad location to open as it will be about the same distance to drive for the Qualcomm location which appears to be always full. Trouble is, that means we would be driving north when most of the things we do are south so it will be a matter of deciding how bad we need the charge compared to the wait at each location. Really want to see Delmar get up and running but who knows when that will happen. With this one open and the one downtown San Deigo, there are more choices so more is always good.

Reactions: Vern Padgett
NAVIGATION IS WRONG
I live close by and don’t need nav to get there, but tried it just for fun. It’s wrong! Coming east on La Costa Avenue from the 5 freeway, Tesla navigation tells you to turn left/north after you cross El Camino Real. You should turn RIGHT/south. Pass Bank of America and then Equinox on your right/west and then pass the two lower chargers (and the stairs many of you are familiar with in the photos) on you left/east and make a very sharp left up the hill.

I’ve seen some frustrated Teslas coming across La Costa (from the other mall to the north) and I get it— that was me at San Clemente until I figured that one out, lol. Hopefully nav will update with v. 9, but I don’t have that yet. (How do I get it??)

My other issue is with the safety walking across La Costa Avenue if you want to go to Starbucks. There is no sidewalk for either mall. I’ve mentioned in this thread before that I’ve been in contact with Peet’s to get a location at the Beacon (the name of the mall where the SCs are) but they blew me off with a boiler plate reply.

Hope this helps!

NAVIGATION IS WRONG
I live close by and don’t need nav to get there, but tried it just for fun. It’s wrong! Coming east on La Costa Avenue from the 5 freeway, Tesla navigation tells you to turn left/north after you cross El Camino Real. You should turn RIGHT/south. Pass Bank of America and then Equinox on your right/west and then pass the two lower chargers (and the stairs many of you are familiar with in the photos) on you left/east and make a very sharp left up the hill.

I’ve seen some frustrated Teslas coming across La Costa (from the other mall to the north) and I get it— that was me at San Clemente until I figured that one out, lol. Hopefully nav will update with v. 9, but I don’t have that yet. (How do I get it??)

My other issue is with the safety walking across La Costa Avenue if you want to go to Starbucks. There is no sidewalk for either mall. I’ve mentioned in this thread before that I’ve been in contact with Peet’s to get a location at the Beacon (the name of the mall where the SCs are) but they blew me off with a boiler plate reply.

Hope this helps!
A bit of history here.. The Nav directions are often wrong, however the red dot showing the actual location of the SC is often correct. SJC directions will put you into the wrong shopping center (haven't been there in a while) and Barstow will direct you incorrectly. Just treat the nav as a video game and you will find it. Some of the other SC locations have videos showing the actual location directions. A very good idea here. If we hadn't been on this site, we would have never located the upper chargers.

Maybe I'm a bit obsessive: Every time I'm in my car (which is every day), I quickly query the Supercharger utilization in the area. I can honestly say that the last 20 or so queries (about 10 days of checking), I think some pressure has FINALLY been relieved from Qualcomm. Every time I check, there are 2-3 stalls available. I almost couldn't believe it. When I check Carlsbad, it runs at about 8-12 bays utilized on average. Downtown continues to run 3-5 chargers utilized at the most. There's no doubt this new Carlsbad Supercharger has been shouldering the brunt of where these folks would have otherwise gone to continue the Qualcomm punishment. At the moment, I think this Supercharger has cracked the Qualcomm curse - for now.

I also think that the amenities are lovely in the general vicinity. Crossing the street at La Costa Ave. (with your 64 year old father in tow), can feel like real-life game of Frogger. . . But once you're in the Gelson's Market mall, there are several terrific lunch options while taking on a 30-minute charge.

Rudy's Taco is terrific, Breugger's Bagels is a sure thing, and Thai Pasta has fantastic curry.

I couldn't be happier with what I'm seeing for the Tesla community in San Diego County as a result of this Supercharger so far. The add-on 6 bays will be needed sooner than later. But for the moment, travelers through our town actually have options.