Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Carlsbad, CA (7710 El Camino Real, LIVE 27 Sep 2018, 26 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 301636

I’m here at the site. The San Diego region Supercharger curse hits again. How hard is it to run conduit to code? Sure enough, they had to move the metal conduit from the fire hydrant area and trench it beside the retaining wall.

But they didn’t do the rework properly. Somehow these guys don’t understand the concept of electrical conduit needing to be 18” underground....

Isn't running it above ground also an option? (If it's buried, it must be 18" below ground, but burying it isn't necessarily required. But that's speculation.) In any case, if I were the owner of that mall, I would make them change it because it's ugly and there's no apparent reason for it.

Interesting. It looks like the two lower stalls are much wider. I wonder if they are for handicap-accessible parking spaces.
If that's the situation, it definitely makes sense to put them in the lower lot rather than up the hill.

Agreed about the conduit depth; wouldn't be at all surprised if the electrical inspector has them redo that section.

Reactions: Cosmacelf
Isn't running it above ground also an option? (If it's buried, it must be 18" below ground, but burying it isn't necessarily required. But that's speculation.) In any case, if I were the owner of that mall, I would make them change it because it's ugly and there's no apparent reason for it.

You can run it above ground IF you use metal conduit. But they switched from metal to PVC for this section. And yes, good point, it might not have been the code inspector who made them move the conduit away from the hydrant, that might have been the owner. But the code inspector will surely make these jokers bury their PVC conduit.

I am more shocked that Tesla does not have clear guidelines for meeting code. Electricians should know it anyway, but Tesla should have a clear standard set out for all superchargers, one that meets or exceeds all local codes. In this case, everyone here saw the obvious. The only ones that did not were Tesla's contractor.

I am more shocked that Tesla does not have clear guidelines for meeting code. Electricians should know it anyway, but Tesla should have a clear standard set out for all superchargers, one that meets or exceeds all local codes. In this case, everyone here saw the obvious. The only ones that did not were Tesla's contractor.

If you have to write in a contract, “meets electrical code”, you have the wrong contractor :)

Seriously though, any electrician should know this. Unless I’m missing something (since I’m not an electrician)...

Went by there again today to see what they did with the conduit. They simply buried it, with about 2 inches of soil, no doubt hoping the inspector will never notice it. I'm kinda annoyed at this. Should I be?

Other than that, they are paving the lower two stalls with asphalt. I am guessing the owner told them to get moving on the lower two stalls so that they could take down the construction fencing which is using up a lot of parking spaces right now. It was hard to see anything else since they made the fencing perimeter wider.

Went by there again today to see what they did with the conduit. They simply buried it, with about 2 inches of soil, no doubt hoping the inspector will never notice it. I'm kinda annoyed at this. Should I be?

Yes! I'm surprised they can get away with this. Wouldn't the inspector want to see the conduit in the open trench before signing off?

Reactions: Vern Padgett
A few more progress pictures.
IMG_0377.jpg
IMG_0379.jpg
IMG_0381.jpg
IMG_0383.jpg
IMG_0384.jpg
IMG_0385.jpg
IMG_0387.jpg
IMG_0388.jpg

IMG_0376.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The more think about them burying a PVC conduit 2" below the surface, the more angry I get. Five years from now, some unsuspecting gardener is going to use a trencher on that slope to install some new irrigation piping and get zapped by 400V DC power. Code or not, it is unsafe.

The more think about them burying a PVC conduit 2" below the surface, the more angry I get. Five years from now, some unsuspecting gardener is going to use a trencher on that slope to install some new irrigation piping and get zapped by 400V DC power. Code or not, it is unsafe.
Are we truly sure it's PVC? Could it be Intermediate metal conduit (IMC) and just look like PVC from the distance observers were standing at?

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
Are we truly sure it's PVC? Could it be Intermediate metal conduit (IMC) and just look like PVC from the distance observers were standing at?

Well, it isn't metallic color like the metal conduit they had beside the fire hydrant (see pics up thread). Here's a blow up of the conduits before they got buried.

blowup.jpg

They are indeed a different color than the PVC that it joins up to, but it doesn't look metallic to me. What do you think?

Reactions: Ron95030
Trying to visualize this site: looks like the transformer and the SC cabinets will be located on the lower level.
They will plumb the conduit such that only the DC runs to the pedestals on the upper level.

I think I'm seeing (in my minds eye) 8 stalls against the RHS embankment, and another 8 + 8 possibly on either side of the stairs (where the Portapotty is) for a total of 24.

My vision is kinda' blurry from 400 miles away! ;)