Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Carlsbad, CA (7710 El Camino Real, LIVE 27 Sep 2018, 26 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For some unknown reason, I now can see those photos. Thanks to whomever... Time to re-count and reassess!

Yeah, funny, I had no idea what EGK1 was talking about since I couldn’t see his post with pictures at all. Now I can see them.

I went by there today around 1pm. I took a couple of pics, but they are similar to the latest EGK1 pics. The foreman came up to me:

Can I help you?
Nope.
Who are you with.
I’m with nobody.
You’re with nobody, eh?

I didn’t get a very friendly vibe :). I think EGK1’s idea of going there after hours is best...

Reactions: Vern Padgett
So yes, looks like both the upper lot and lower 2 stall will all be urban style Superchargers. I’ll post pics a bit later. I confirmed that the conduit going down the slope with 2” of soil cover is PVC. It transitions to metal when it goes down the exterior of the retaining wall.

What a hack job. They should have dug down to the foundation of the retaining wall and go underneath it. If I was the owner, I’d make them change it again.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Oh that reminds me, I took a few pics Friday night.

This at the entrance to the upper parking lot. Looks like they'll be placing the SC cabinets or switch gear in this area. I looked at the three big white cabinets that are still shrink wrapped in the upper lot. They are three Square D switch cabinets.

IMG_0343.jpg

This area, also in the upper parking lot, near the entrance, is still a puzzle for me. They are obviously going to build a retaining wall here to house something, but they don't have any conduits. Maybe they have yet to dig trenches for the conduits.

IMG_0347.jpg

And here's a closeup of the 4" PVC conduit (and the smaller conduit) that they've got buried with like an inch of soil on top - right beside irrigation lines too. This is seriously wrong.

IMG_0349.jpg

Reactions: MP3Mike
@Cosmacelf , Have you tried reporting your concern to Tesla? Chances are an inspector will catch this and force a revision. You could get them one step ahead.

I did. I filled out their supercharger form about 5 days ago. No response. If anyone has a better way of telling Tesla, I’m all ears. Maybe SDGE might be interested in the electrical code violation, @RandyS?

I also emailed the info email for the contractor, MaxGen. No reply there either.

I did. I filled out their supercharger form about 5 days ago. No response. If anyone has a better way of telling Tesla, I’m all ears. Maybe SDGE might be interested in the electrical code violation, @RandyS?

I also emailed the info email for the contractor, MaxGen. No reply there either.
Thanks. I hope someone listens. This seems to be gross negligence and is sure to get a violation/correction from the inspectors, with a significant delay if they have to revise their conduit.

So yes, looks like both the upper lot and lower 2 stall will all be urban style Superchargers. I’ll post pics a bit later. I confirmed that the conduit going down the slope with 2” of soil cover is PVC. It transitions to metal when it goes down the exterior of the retaining wall.

What a hack job. They should have dug down to the foundation of the retaining wall and go underneath it. If I was the owner, I’d make them change it again.

What would be the advantage to having the urban style superchargers versus the "normal" superchargers we see at most sites? My understanding is that the normal superchargers can provide up to 120kWh of power, versus 72kWh for the urban chargers. The normal superchargers share reduced power if an adjacent charger is occupied, whereas the urban style maintains its full power and doesn't have to share. However, aren't the urban superchargers slower than normal superchargers when not shared. Wouldn't most of us prefer to charge at normal chargers for a quicker charger and assume the adjacent charger will not be shared? That is the situation I have encountered most places, except for really busy supercharger sites like San Juan Capistrano.

What would be the advantage to having the urban style superchargers versus the "normal" superchargers we see at most sites? My understanding is that the normal superchargers can provide up to 120kWh of power, versus 72kWh for the urban chargers. The normal superchargers share reduced power if an adjacent charger is occupied, whereas the urban style maintains its full power and doesn't have to share. However, aren't the urban superchargers slower than normal superchargers when not shared. Wouldn't most of us prefer to charge at normal chargers for a quicker charger and assume the adjacent charger will not be shared? That is the situation I have encountered most places, except for really busy supercharger sites like San Juan Capistrano.
I asked this same question in the Downey thread, and I believe you and I both answered our own questions. The Urban chargers are advantageous in super busy stations, where it is unlikely that you would ever get an unpaired stall. Given the insane crowds at San Diego, this is likely the same scenario here.
At locations where it is more likely to get an unpaired stall, the traditional stalls seem to have the advantage of a higher rate of charge that you would never see in a busy station.

I asked this same question in the Downey thread, and I believe you and I both answered our own questions. The Urban chargers are advantageous in super busy stations, where it is unlikely that you would ever get an unpaired stall. Given the insane crowds at San Diego, this is likely the same scenario here.
At locations where it is more likely to get an unpaired stall, the traditional stalls seem to have the advantage of a higher rate of charge that you would never see in a busy station.
Thanks for your response 4SUPER9. I was afraid I was missing something else more positive about the urban superchargers that would now recommend that Tesla begin installing them at more of their locations. Perhaps this will only become the "go to" type of charger at places like in the San Diego area? The newer San Clemente supercharging station does not have any urban chargers at all. That site doesn't seem to be much different, nor one that would get less activity than the one at Carlsbad/La Costa. Maybe just another Tesla mystery! In any case, I'm happy to see more superchargers of any variety in our area. Supercharging station, which make long distance travel for Tesla owners, the lynch pin which separates Tesla from all other (would be) plug-in brands, which are advertising their latest and greatest show cars as Tesla killers...only in their dreams until they invest their zillions of corporate dollars into their own supercharging network.

Urban vs normal SC doesn’t matter a whole heck of a lot. You only get 120kW for a short period of time before it starts ramping down, and only if your battery is pretty empty, and only if you aren’t paired with someone else. On average, it works out to be about the same.

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett