Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Carlsbad, CA (7710 El Camino Real, LIVE 27 Sep 2018, 26 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I fully support that everyone is entitled have an opinion. Period.

I'm just glad that there's another option to charge my car. Yes its long over due but i'm glad it's finally close to coming on line. I'm celebrating that a 3rd SD location is coming on line soon.

It wasn't too long ago when there were only 8 superchargers in the entire country. And yet I chose to take a leap of faith in this company and made the purchase. Over last 186,000 miles, I've met some pretty cool people with diverse backgrounds. At these superchargers, all over California, Arizona and Nevada, I've met drivers who make more money me in a week than what i make in a year. I've met professional athletes, actors, doctors, engineers, and silver spoon kids. I've also met owners who are, who are between jobs, who used to have a high paying job, who drive for TCP services, Uber and Lyft, to supplement their income or to support their families. I've met Tesla enthusiasts who are retired and are on a fixed income.

I'd like to point out to those who make general broad statements about 'local's who take up space and clog up the SCers, that you have no idea who those drivers are. I don't blame those 'locals' who are trying to save a buck or two. Back in 2013 some people like me paid extra to have unlimited supercharging enabled in my car. That was a personal choice. And even though i have a 11.3 kWh solar system (that generates 1,800 kWh per month) at my house, I use the SCer's on occasion because some times i need to charge quickly to get back on the road. It's not about saving money for me. Its because its saves me time.

Thanks!

This supercharger is going to be absolutely obliterated by locals when it opens and will only get worse in the years ahead. As much as Qualcomm takes a beating, this one will probably out-draw it within a very short period. It's not lost on me that bellyaching at a 20-bay supercharger coming online can be construed as entitled/spoiled. But so much more is needed in this region (hopefully those 6 extra bays get tacked on quickly, but I'm certainly not holding my breath). The resources were certainly there (the extremely lightly-used 40-bay Baker location) and they were not applied to where they were needed the most (San Diego County).

For me personally, it's a non-issue. But it makes me sad for the road trippers through my town. You simply can't plan a somewhat convenient road trip and have a low SOC through North County San Diego. At least there's Downtown/A-St., I guess.

Whine! Whine! Whine!

This supercharger is going to be absolutely obliterated by locals when it opens

Yep. I will never get over the irony of the people in SoCal that can afford Tesla's yet are too cheap to pay for charging at home. And even at SDG&E rates for home power, the argument of "sitting at a supercharger to charge your car locally is not worth your time expended" is valid.

EDIT - just had this thought. We KNOW that long-term supercharging is not good for battery longevity. I wonder if these people are saving enough to pay for the reduced battery longevity (assuming of course they keep the car beyond the battery warranty period).

• Disagree
Reactions: X-drvr and KJD
The resources were certainly there (the extremely lightly-used 40-bay Baker location) and they were not applied to where they were needed the most (San Diego County).
I think we've had this conversation before, but this is the wrong train of thought imo. Baker has nothing to do with what's going on in SD County. It's not as if you can just freely move stalls from location to location. There are transformers, power companies, local regulations, real estate constraints, etc.

Reactions: Vern Padgett
Bringing this slightly back on topic, this shopping center has been a complete dump for the last decade. A complete dump in a prime location! With the new Equinox gym and Supercharger as an anchors, I expect the new high-end businesses and shops currently being built will thrive. These eventually thriving businesses SHOULD be more than willing to chip-in to pay for an expansion of this supercharger to 40 stalls in the future. There should be room for it on the second level.

I dont agree that locals are going to obliterate the SC stalls. Most of the locals are well off and have solar panels and dont have the time to sit at a SC so that they can save a few dollars. There are always exceptions but most of them I think will not be sitting at this SC.

Similar arguments apply for Qualcomm, and we see how those locals treat that SpC.

It's a numbers game at this point. There are a LOT of Tesla's in the Carlsbad vicinity. It would only take about 10 abusers to really make this a miserable station.

Many of the locals who charge at Qualcomm work at Qualcomm. I know a few of them and they leave their Teslas for charging and go take care of work and come down and move their cars. It is too convenient for them.
I do agree there is an increase in the number of Teslas on the roads of Carlsbad. We will wait and see how it pans out.

I dont agree that locals are going to obliterate the SC stalls. Most of the locals are well off and have solar panels and dont have the time to sit at a SC so that they can save a few dollars. There are always exceptions but most of them I think will not be sitting at this SC.
I can tell you haven't spent much time at California superchargers.

Bringing this slightly back on topic, this shopping center has been a complete dump for the last decade. A complete dump in a prime location! With the new Equinox gym and Supercharger as an anchors, I expect the new high-end businesses and shops currently being built will thrive. These eventually thriving businesses SHOULD be more than willing to chip-in to pay for an expansion of this supercharger to 40 stalls in the future. There should be room for it on the second level.
I am unfamiliar with this mall. I wonder, if it such an ideal location, why s it so run down and tenants unwilling to occupy it. Is this a landlord issue? Too often I have seen landlords seek unreasonable terms, resulting in them shooting themselves in the foot, and having no clue as to why. Spaces are left vacant for years at times. Or, is the location not as ideal as others mentioned. A Vons shut down here. Having a supermarket close down is a rare occurrence. Again, did the landlord cause this, or was it a lack of customers?

I am unfamiliar with this mall. I wonder, if it such an ideal location, why s it so run down and tenants unwilling to occupy it. Is this a landlord issue? Too often I have seen landlords seek unreasonable terms, resulting in them shooting themselves in the foot, and having no clue as to why. Spaces are left vacant for years at times. Or, is the location not as ideal as others mentioned. A Vons shut down here. Having a supermarket close down is a rare occurrence. Again, did the landlord cause this, or was it a lack of customers?

This is a shopping center and it is in a very good location it is very close to Encinitas and southern tip of Carlsbad. It is less then 2 miles from I-5 off of La Costa Avenue. I think the previous owners did not do any modifications for ages and were demanding more rents. Most of the tenants fled. Now, it is under new ownership I think and undergoing lots of renovations.

Initially 40's, 60's and 85's could get 'upgrade' to unlimited charging for additional $2,000. I decided between 85 to 85 with unlimited charging or just pay the extra $8,000 and get P85. There were extra goodies that came with the P85 that was worth paying the extra $$.

Wait.. what? I think supercharging was standard on all trim levels of the Model S except for the 60 back then. And your sig indicates you have a performance edition (i.e, not a 60).

• Disagree
Reactions: KJD and MP3Mike
Initially 40's, 60's and 85's could get 'upgrade' to unlimited charging for additional $2,000. I decided between 85 to 85 with unlimited charging or just pay the extra $8,000 and get P85. There were extra goodies that came with the P85 that was worth paying the extra $$.

I don't believe that's correct. Both P85 and standard 85 had supercharging included at no extra cost.

Wayback Machine: Model S Options & Pricing | Tesla Motors

Reactions: KJD and MP3Mike
Maybe i stand corrected with exact specs but i do recall that there was an extra cost for people who chose unlimited option for $2,000.

It’s possible your mind is playing tricks on you. I took delivery of my P85 late March 2013 and free supercharging was included.

Regardless, this has very little to do with this Supercharger location. I’d like to make a plea to only discuss info about this location in this thread...

The good news is that there is a small center just north of the intersection (perhaps 1/4 mile walking) including a Gelson's market. Gelson's, though on the pricey side, is one of the best grocery stores around. They have a huge, fresh selection along with prepared foods and this location may also have a sushi bar.

Reactions: Vern Padgett
This is a picture looking north northwest of the Chargers that allow driving in rather than backing into the space. Hopefully the curb in front is not high enough to impact the rather low spoiler!

IMG_4435.JPG