Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Carlsbad, CA (7710 El Camino Real, LIVE 27 Sep 2018, 26 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Must have just missed you, Cosmacef!

I spoke with a MaxGen guy. After pleasantries, here’s our conversation:

Me: what’s Max Gen do?

Him: We build ‘em.

Me: So, when will the site go ‘live?’

Him: Soon.

Me: Tomorrow?

Him: Not that soon.

Me: A week?

Him: (pretending to zip mouth) I can’t say.

Me: Has SDG&E been here yet?

Him: (again zips mouth) I cant say.

Me: Don’t worry, I won’t photograph you (brandishes her cell phone, threateningly—j.k., it was in the car.)

Him: (Holding his ground)

Me: Thanks! See you Friday—got a road trip to O.C. coming up and I’ll be looking to charge. (winks)

Good point about where to line up... I don't think that people will want to have to drive past the stalls to the north side to line up. I can also picture that if there are more than 3-4 cars waiting, it can extend past the driveway to the upper lot and into the alley, and causing traffic flow issues, especially for cars entering from the north and wanting to queue up... Below are some images from Google before the construction started. I haven't been past there lately, are the images still accurate?

View attachment 334354 View attachment 334355

Love the waiting line already inserted! LOL. (thanks for the overhead photos)

Reactions: SDSillyCyclist
Must have just missed you, Cosmacef!

I spoke with a MaxGen guy. After pleasantries, here’s our conversation:

Me: what’s Max Gen do?

Him: We build ‘em.

Me: So, when will the site go ‘live?’

Him: Soon.

Me: Tomorrow?

Him: Not that soon.

Me: A week?

Him: (pretending to zip mouth) I can’t say.

Me: Has SDG&E been here yet?

Him: (again zips mouth) I cant say.

Me: Don’t worry, I won’t photograph you (brandishes her cell phone, threateningly—j.k., it was in the car.)

Him: (Holding his ground)

Me: Thanks! See you Friday—got a road trip to O.C. coming up and I’ll be looking to charge. (winks)

Next time, ask him if they’ve had final inspection and sign off yet.

I don’t recall seeing that the handicap signs were actually up before on the lower two stalls. My wife took this picture just moments ago.

Attachments

• 5DEAAFDD-FD0F-4F43-807C-F74BE2FA2C21.jpeg
    5DEAAFDD-FD0F-4F43-807C-F74BE2FA2C21.jpeg
    488.1 KB · Views: 75
I don’t recall seeing that the handicap signs were actually up before on the lower two stalls. My wife took this picture just moments ago.

What does it say under the wheelchair symbol? I think it needs blue lines on the pavement instead of white if it's going to be a real enforceable handicap space. I'm wondering if it's one of those "use last" spaces.

• Informative
Reactions: jowaldo
Thanks so much for the kind words, troops! Made the trip over there all worth it.

The ADA spaces will be "use last" from what I could tell. That's what I was talking about when I mentioned "point of contention" earlier. Picture a line developing for the 18 stalls at the upper platform. Then a person rolls up and uses the ADA siting a "use last" situation and those in line get miffed. :confused:

If there is no one using the ADA spot, and there is even 1 car in line, then it should be used. I guess the contention happens when all spots are used, there is a line, and someone with a handicap placard shows up. How does that get managed? Do they go to the front of the line and take that spot when it becomes available?

Reactions: Graffi
Once lines form here, this layout will become a total cluster-f***. Where do the cars line up? Seems like above. What if a spot opens up below? Anyone else will grab it, jumping in front of those waiting. I hope they get a valet here.

Once lines form here, this layout will become a total cluster-f***. Where do the cars line up? Seems like above. What if a spot opens up below? Anyone else will grab it, jumping in front of those waiting. I hope they get a valet here.

What Tesla should have for these busy supercharger sites is a virtual queue that's managed via the touchscreen/app. If you jump the queue, your car won't charge. If your car leaves the immediate area, you automatically drop out of the queue. When it's your turn, the touchscreen tells you exactly which stall to go to.

Jump in line? Have the car up in flames! :)

RE: Disabled Parking. I think its a good idea but reality is that its not practical. I've yet to use my placard at any of the locations during the past five years. I just go in cue like everyone else.

What Tesla should have for these busy supercharger sites is a virtual queue that's managed via the touchscreen/app. If you jump the queue, your car won't charge. If your car leaves the immediate area, you automatically drop out of the queue. When it's your turn, the touchscreen tells you exactly which stall to go to.

Reactions: Vern Padgett
Jump in line? Have the car up in flames! :)

RE: Disabled Parking. I think its a good idea but reality is that its not practical. I've yet to use my placard at any of the locations during the past five years. I just go in cue like everyone else.
Disabled parking is intended to allow access to spots that are more convenient to a particular location, not for guaranteeing a spot. In this case, the spot is located below the hill, and makes perfect sense. Sometimes, there is an expanded stall to allow for van and wheelchair access. Those also make sense. For the most part, in other charging locations, there is no benefit to having any stalls marked as handicapped, as they are all pretty much in the same location. They have mostly been done to meet code, without any particular logic.

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett

This is exactly what I was talking about (damn, I'm a bad communicator!). Since the ADA spots are segregated from the others, they'll be somewhat "protected" when nobody is there and will be ready for actual ADA users. However, the ADA spaces will be jumped on when the line develops by the "next to arrive" in the parking lot. People in said line will be miffed. Then the driver that jumped on the ADA spot will walk away briskly; pretending not to notice what he/she did. It'll be embarrassing at best and downright ugly at worst. Take a moment to read about the recent charger line hopping hi-jinks only a dozen miles away at Qualcomm if you really wanna get grossed out!

If this thing proves to be busy in the first months it opens, remember that this is the least busy it'll ever be. **GULP**

Way to go SDG&E! For those keeping track, it was about two weeks from project substantially completed to transformer installation. So, looks like neither the contractor, Carlsbad, nor SDG&E dragged their feet.

And assuming it’ll be open soon, it will have been about 5 months from construction start to finish, with an additional 5 months in permitting before construction start.

Reactions: JeffnReno