Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Carlsbad, CA (2525 El Camino Real, permit expired)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice find! I have updated the thread title.

The site address shown in the permit is 2525 EL CAMINO REAL, CARLSBAD CA which is just a minute off I5 on Hwy 78, as your Google map link makes clear.

(In the document you linked to there are also 8 different permits for Tesla Powerwall installations one of which is with solar panels not tiles, and 2 for Tesla HPC installations)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: McManX
Awesome find emupilot. Thank you thank you! As a Bay Area resident that grew up in San Diego, I couldn't be happier with this Supercharger. I can skip the SC at Qualcomm and almost all of LA area SC's when heading back to Bay Area.

Carlsbad, CA

Along Interstates: I-5
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): None
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

To: San Clemente, CA - 26.5 miles
Diversion: 3 miles
To: San Juan Capistrano, CA - 53.8 miles

Temecula, CA (u,CA-76,I-15,CA-79): 33.5 miles
San Diego, CA (u,I-5,I-805,u): 24.6 miles
San Clemente, CA (CA-78,I-5): 26.5 miles

So, this one should make the San Diego Supercharger less popular, at least at times when the stalls aren't occupied by locals or ICEd. Right?

Data from Supercharge.info; mapping Supercharge.info and Google Maps.

Interesting that this install is only valued at $150,000, I wonder how many stall it will be.

That makes me think that Tesla has dropped the cost almost in half.
It seems that this value is on par with other permit valuations. It is possible that this is the minimum cost that they could get away with, and not necessarily true costs, in an effort to keep property taxes to a minimum.

Carlsbad, CA

Along Interstates: I-5
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): None
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

To: San Clemente, CA - 26.5 miles
Diversion: 3 miles
To: San Juan Capistrano, CA - 53.8 miles

Temecula, CA (u,CA-76,I-15,CA-79): 33.5 miles
San Diego, CA (u,I-5,I-805,u): 24.6 miles
San Clemente, CA (CA-78,I-5): 26.5 miles

So, this one should make the San Diego Supercharger less popular, at least at times when the stalls aren't occupied by locals or ICEd. Right?

Data from Supercharge.info; mapping Supercharge.info and Google Maps.

Yes right, especially for those of us heading north on I-5 to LA and beyond. San Diego SC at Qualcomm is a bit off I-5 and there's not a whole lot around. When I was there over Memorial Day weekend, there were quite a few local Model X's car service charging. They had valet setup and there was a line 4-5 deep mid afternoon.

This will be ideal. It appeared the the Carlsbad SC was going to be further South with another one located in Vista. For commuters going to Escondido and a few other cities along the I15 this is great news. A quick top off will allow for complete avoidance of the south orange county scs...I drive from central Orange County twice a week and a full charge on my MX 90D leaves me with 10-20 miles of rated range when I get home. This makes the card dead for the evening... Another SC at the I15 and 78 Interchange would cover most SD to Inland Empire, OC, and LA county routes.

Drove by yesterday and did some scouting. There is a LOT of construction going on at this mall, with at least 4 separate staging grounds in the parking lot.

Wife and kids were impatient and didn't want to stay longer, but I did not see as of yet any ground markings (easy to miss, however), and in the 4 fenced-off staging areas there was no equipment marked with Tesla markings.

I'll make a repeat visit, sans the impatient family, in a week or so and do a more thorough hunt.

There is a shipping/storage container at the corner of Marron Rd and El Camino with what looks like electrical boxes on top - the kind you see feeding a building or charging station. As I recall, this area of the parking lot can get busy with the movie theater and restaurants pretty close by. Then there's christmas shopping season.

Definitely a welcomed location for us visiting Legoland from LA. I was very lucky to get a charging spot @ Legoland. If I was 5 min late all spots would've been gone.

I did not have a very good experience at SJC or Qualcomm SpCs (wait time and charging speeds). Qualcomm location has nothing either so my toddlers had to wait inside the car for an hour charging at 40kW.

Hopefully this location will bring SpCing a better experience.

There is a shipping/storage container at the corner of Marron Rd and El Camino with what looks like electrical boxes on top - the kind you see feeding a building or charging station. As I recall, this area of the parking lot can get busy with the movie theater and restaurants pretty close by. Then there's christmas shopping season.

I've been by 3 times in the past 2 weeks, those have been there every time and I've seen no activity. The containers are also not large enough for the Tesla Superchargers (not the stands, the actual chargers), which are historically shipped in crates and required to remain upright. The crates are taller than the opening to a container.

I wish that were the gear, but I just don't think it is.