Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Carlsbad, CA (2525 El Camino Real, permit expired)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator note: thanks to @Cosmacelf for attempting to clear up the confusion about the two permitted Supercharger sites in the city of Carlsbad, and apologies from me for contributing to that confusion.

I have attempted to untangle this thread, which was started by the find of a permit for 2525 El Camino Real but no construction, and then continued with the finding of a permit for 7710 El Camino Real and then signs of construction at that site, which though permitted 5 month later began construction before the earlier permit at a different location in the same city.

There is now a separate thread for the 7710 El Camino Real location at Supercharger - Carlsbad, 7710 El Camino Real (permit found, construction planning started)

This thread will be left for discussion of the permitted site at 2525 El Camino Real.

Inevitably when splitting a thread like this some posts may lose context. Let’s try to move past the confusion and focus on the two different Supercharger sites which are in the same city.

Once Tesla shows their official names for each site on the car nav and website Find Us page I will edit the thread titles to reflect what Tesla calls them. For now I think it is best to simply identify each site by their street address as shown in the permits.

We do not know when the 2525 El Camino Real site will start construction, if ever. If anyone finds signs of construction, please post here. Thank you!

Last edited:
Moderator note: thanks to @Cosmacelf for attempting to clear up the confusion about the two permitted Supercharger sites in the city of Carlsbad, and apologies from me for contributing to that confusion.

I have attempted to untangle this thread, which was started by the find of a permit for 2525 El Camino Real but no construction, and then continued with the finding of a permit for 7710 El Camino Real and then signs of construction at that site, which though permitted 5 month later began construction before the earlier permit at a different location in the same city.

There is now a separate thread for the 7710 El Camino Real location at Supercharger - Carlsbad, The Shoppes, 2525 El Camino Real (permit found, construction not started)

This thread will be left for discussion of the permitted site at 2525 El Camino Real.

Inevitably when splitting a thread like this some posts may lose context. Let’s try to move past the confusion and focus on the two different Supercharger sites which are in the same city.

Once Tesla shows their official names for each site on the car nav and website Find Us page I will edit the thread titles to reflect what Tesla calls them. For now I think it is best to simply identify each site by their street address as shown in the permits.

We do not know when the 2525 El Camino Real site will start construction, if ever. If anyone finds signs of construction, please post here. Thank you!
No offense, please, but why does the link to the the thread re:7710 El Camino still take you to The Shoppes thread and clicking on the blue dot for 7710 goes to an error message? That said, we all appreciate your efforts as moderator.

What happened to the El Camino and Rancho Bernardo locations?
Do you mean the other possible location in Carlsbad? Is so, see this thread Supercharger - Carlsbad, 7710 El Camino Real (permit found, construction planning started)

By “Rancho Bernardo”, perhaps this is the Supercharger you are thinking of, see Supercharger - San Diego Black Mountain Ranch (permit found, under review, construction not started)

We don’t know yet what Tesla will call that Supercharger.

Stopped by City offices today. Permit has still not been picked up by Tesla.
While there I heard an unofficial rumor that Tesla has partnered with SDGE and that significantly more Superchargers will be added in the SDGE area

I emailed a contact at the city to ask why these are taking their time to get built in Carlsbad and he replied with this as of 2/13/2018:

“They both need resubmittals for LDE (Engineering) and Planning corrections. The plans have been approved from Esgil our outside plan review for building conformance. That is as much info as I have on my end.”

Any idea what that means? Both include Cartland Shoppes and la costa location. Does this mean it’s in a TESLA’s court or the construction company? Seems strange to be pending for so long. Thought to share! Cheers

I emailed a contact at the city to ask why these are taking their time to get built in Carlsbad and he replied with this as of 2/13/2018:

“They both need resubmittals for LDE (Engineering) and Planning corrections. The plans have been approved from Esgil our outside plan review for building conformance. That is as much info as I have on my end.”

Any idea what that means? Both include Cartland Shoppes and la costa location. Does this mean it’s in a TESLA’s court or the construction company? Seems strange to be pending for so long. Thought to share! Cheers

Well, this means that Carlsbad hasn't approved the plans. Every city has their own peculiar things they want to see on the plans. The engineering firm Tesla has hired to draw the plans now needs to revise their plans based on Carlsbad's latest comments and resubmit. Since Carlsbad uses an outside engineering firm, this means it'll be at least 4 weeks before Carlsbad can give the OK or issue more comments on the resubmitted plans. When cities use outside engineering firms for plan review, they sometimes literally mail the resubmittals to the outside firm and results are mailed back. The city permitting office is just a paper pusher in these cases. Sloooow process.

The problem Tesla runs into with Supercharger builds is that they have a different city/county/planning department on almost every SC. Ideally Tesla would hire a local firm who has done a lot of submittals and know what the planning desk wants to see, but finding those people is very hard, so they rely on a national engineering firm, which probably doesn't have a lot of local knowledge. And every SC build has its own unique features - none of them are cookie cutter. They must each take into account the specific site requirements as laid out by the property owner. In particular, how to hide and enclose the big and noisy AC-DC conversion cabinets and electrical distribution cabinets is very site specific.

Very interesting and informative. As to which site, or both, is actually being committed to at this time is anyone's guess. Tesla may be still be weighing their options. We do have a report on the other site that there was a crew on site doing some surveys. That offers more credence to that location. At the same time, that was sheer luck. It is possible the same occurred for this site, maybe even multiple times, and was simply not captured. Let's hope for both!

So radio silent on this topic and the other SC in the Shopps too. Seems the promised SC's to San Diego are not seeing any progress. We expected at last one last year.

I suspect it’s not the fault of Tesla that this is the case. I’m inclined to lay blame on our city and county permitting authorities. Those guys are always wanting more money.

The common thread amongst: San Diego - Downtown, San Diego - Black Mountain Ranch, Carlsbad, and Carlsbad - La Costa is that they are in the same county, yes, but also that they are all within SDG&E territory. Carlsbad and San Diego have their own city permitting offices so I don't know if those different locations would come across the same permitting desk.

Complete speculation, but I wonder if there are issues securing the power from SDG&E?

The common thread amongst: San Diego - Downtown, San Diego - Black Mountain Ranch, Carlsbad, and Carlsbad - La Costa is that they are in the same county, yes, but also that they are all within SDG&E territory. Carlsbad and San Diego have their own city permitting offices so I don't know if those different locations would come across the same permitting des speculation, but I wonder if there are issues securing the power from SDG&E?

I would give credence to that speculation..SDG&E is the worst. I also blame Tesla for not keeping it's customers informed as to why the delays.

Reactions: OCRyan