Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Carlton, MN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Construction day 28 update. The concrete base for SuC cabinets and switch gear is finished. The 1000kVA transformer is installed. The concrete forms for the pedestal island curbing has been constructed. I expect it will be poured in the next day or two. All of the leftover rigid conduit has been removed. This was supplied locally. There are 12 rolls of 4” seal tight flexible conduit which came from Tesla energy. Only one roll was used. They will likely get shipped to another SuC location. The switch gear cabinets don’t appear to be onsite yet.

8502DA6F-400C-495C-85F7-A5B7D8C66E30.jpeg

7218E3CA-7152-481C-A6D8-D68A63D3D94A.jpeg

D1BD3883-2977-4A53-9A87-CBB96A2924FA.jpeg

C6723B98-5FE3-4042-A0AA-B148B1DDADFA.jpeg

Attachments

• 5FE67893-E62F-4B88-A726-B7A2744D64F3.jpeg
    5FE67893-E62F-4B88-A726-B7A2744D64F3.jpeg
    301.7 KB · Views: 61
Construction day 22 update. Not as far along as I had hoped. All of the below grade conduit runs appear to be finished. They have reset the north end light pole base. This is an interesting pedestal layout. 7 back in on the West side and 1 back in on the east side placed in the middle of the row. The concrete base form for the SuC cabinets and switch gear appears to be ready for concrete. Will have to wait and see whether the pedestal base is one contiguous pour or 8 separate bases pours. Ballard posts are on site ready to be installed too. View attachment 684921
As someone who just used a trailer in his model y for the first time, I wonder if the layout with one “back in” on the east side is actually to accommodate pulling up with a trailer parallel with the row of chargers . Really hope to see this design take off, the current “pull in” option for trailers is ridiculous because your trailer ends up sticking out into the middle of the parking lot, and in Duluth would block the other chargers.

Reactions: starman27
As someone who just used a trailer in his model y for the first time, I wonder if the layout with one “back in” on the east side is actually to accommodate pulling up with a trailer parallel with the row of chargers . Really hope to see this design take off, the current “pull in” option for trailers is ridiculous because your trailer ends up sticking out into the middle of the parking lot, and in Duluth would block the other chargers.
You know, that’s an interesting thought. It’s very possible. Given the relatively low amount of vehicles I’ve seen in the parking lot when checking the site, they could easily give up those spaces for a an extended parallel parking zone for Trailer pulling vehicle charging.

Hopefully in a year or two I can drop by here and charge my CyberTruck while I'm hauling my Wrangler up to Gilbert for some off roading. From what I can see, Duluth's supercharger is inside a parking garage, so I won't be towing into there, and I don't really want to drop a trailer+jeep off in downtown Duluth.

We'll have to see what the efficiency works out to, but I'm assuming for worst case scenarios and using 1200 Wh/mi as a reference point. At those numbers, this supercharger is 100% necessary (MSP <-> Hinckley <-> Carlton <-> Gilbert) unless I want to L2 charge in Virginia while off roading. That's all well and good unless the Jeep breaks down (it does) and I'm left hiking 7 miles to pick up the truck.

This SC seems kind of redundant with Hinckley and Duluth. Any thoughts about that? Maybe Duluth is too small and too odd to get to...or you can't drive into the ramp with a canoe on your car?

The more the merrier anyway, thanks Tesla!
I think it makes sense here for people heading up to the iron range via Hwy 33, so they don’t have to go to Duluth. And yes, the physical space constraints and V2 chargers in Duluth can serve that area while this open lot V3 will probably take the lion’s share of charging traffic (my guess).

Until there is a DC fast charger in every town in America, there is no such thing as 'redundant' Superchargers 😂. Ownership is growing rapidly, and I don't want to end up like California, **shivers** waiting in line for a charger.

So, I ended up charging in Duluth on the trip up last week, but skipped it on the way down (charged and hiked at Tettegouche State Park). I arrived in Duluth and was able to snag the last two spots on the way up. Ended up moving both our cars from the stalls before we were ready to continue the trip because people were waiting to charge.

Carlton SC can't some soon enough, really.

Construction day 42 update! Things are moving fast. All equipment work appears to be finished. All signs are up, with 3 north pedestals and 1 east side pedestal marked 30 min general parking. The 4 pedestals nearest the Chargers are Tesla charging only. As was suggested in an earlier post, the single east side pedestal does appear to be a pull through installation. The original parking lines on the east side have been blacked out while the west side lines remain. There are 3-6 more shrubs yet to set and perhaps a little more fill dirt before the area gets covered in red mulch. The physical site construction should be complete this week. Then it’s a matter of site clean up. It’s definitely a strong possibility it will get tested next week. This will be my only update for the week. I won’t be back till next Tuesday.
10D08797-8440-438B-A96C-C78D9F67ACB4.jpeg

8AE86A91-F615-43DA-B8F7-0AD46483193D.jpeg

79F324FC-8D27-472B-B905-739D69BDE0AF.jpeg

B949474D-0BEA-4A7C-BAE8-9DE19EFD5F33.jpeg

FBFA8709-C504-4DAE-9905-E547830EF274.jpeg

658D257C-9354-4058-97CB-A6521154DFA1.jpeg

07B96EFC-45D0-4D8F-9BC2-4BB2CA946BED.jpeg

Last edited:
It looks like 1,050 Wh/mi (@ 65 mph) is the break even point where you can tow all the way to the Iron Range from Minneapolis without having to un-hook to charge at Hinckley. I'm guessing towing a Wrangler on a 16' trailer will take anywhere from 800 to 1,200 Wh/mi.

The question then is if stretching that thin and dealing with slow charges near max SoC is worth it when you're going to stop in Hinckley to hit the bathroom and coat your arteries in sweet roll goo anyway.

Waypoint
Arrival SoC
Depart SoC
Charge Duration
Distance
Drive Duration
Woodbury (where I'm at)100%136 mi1h 50m
Carlton Supercharger12%90%47m62 mi58m
Gilbert54%54%62 mi57m
Carlton Supercharger18%100%1h 2m135 mi1h 50m
Woodbury12%
Total1h 49m394 mi5h 35m