Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The urban chargers are meant for longer charger times and for different areas. That Fishers location is a bit off 69. It's definitely 'close' but being on the third floor of a parking garage is not what I would call a 'supercharger' site. 120kW is way more than 72 as well. Being guaranteed 72 is indeed nice, but at least around here, the superchargers aren't usually full and I've received the effective full charge rate several times at several superchargers in my 90D. If I'm traveling between states, I really don't want an urban charger to be my only choice. I want as short of a stop as possible.

The urban chargers are meant for longer charger times and for different areas. That Fishers location is a bit off 69. It's definitely 'close' but being on the third floor of a parking garage is not what I would call a 'supercharger' site. 120kW is way more than 72 as well. Being guaranteed 72 is indeed nice, but at least around here, the superchargers aren't usually full and I've received the effective full charge rate several times at several superchargers in my 90D. If I'm traveling between states, I really don't want an urban charger to be my only choice. I want as short of a stop as possible.
I can agree with part of that, the 3rd floor of the parking garage is not ideal, probably to avoid resident parking, but being in a parking garage is why they are urban superchargers. In fact, if you read the Fishers thread the contract says Tesla can install 72 or 120 at that site at their discression. Tesla does consider it a supercharger site and says as much.

As far as 120 being greater than 72, it’s just not that simple when you start adding in real world factors. In fact, most of them are not 72 or 120 anymore, but our point is valid that a non shared 120 is faster, but not by much when u start factoring in that a 72 is really an 82, the 120 may be shared, and a lot of cars can’t handle anything over 90. Electrek has a good article about it.

Last edited:
I can agree with part of that, the 3rd floor of the parking garage is not ideal, probably to avoid resident parking, but being in a parking garage is why they are urban superchargers. In fact, if you read the Fishers thread the contract says Tesla can install 72 or 120 at that site at their discression. Tesla does consider it a supercharger site and says as much.

As far as 120 being greater than 72, it’s just not that simple when you start adding in real world factors. In fact, most of them are not 72 or 120 anymore, but our point is valid that a non shared 120 is faster, but not by much when u start factoring in that a 72 is really an 82, the 120 may be shared, and a lot of cars can’t handle anything over 90. Electrek has a good article about it.

I would think there might be occasions when being inside might be beneficial. Like when it snows, a continuous heavy rain or direct mid summer sun..

Reactions: GMan324
Fishers is off I-69 (although it's an urban charger, not supercharger), and the Carmel location is off US-31.
The one they're going to build in Zionsville will be near I-65. The superchargers are more for interstate travel and placed accordingly.

Do you have any more information about the Anson (Whitestown/Zionsville) supercharging plans? I heard from another person that it will be built, but could not find any more info/permits. Having one at the Meijer in Zionsville would be awesome, so close to I-65.

Reactions: MarcoRP
Former Tesla employee who picked locations and this thread. You’ll find back there somewhere the complete submission packet for Carmel approval. These are complete independent locations. Who gave you the idea Fishers somehow replaces Carmel?

Update! The site is cordoned off, the landscaped area is bring prepared, and there is now Tesla SC hardware onsite:
20180427_184435.jpg 20180427_184421.jpg
(including my new hardware too :D )

Rabar nice model 3 (what does former FFE mean)
Ford Focus Electric. Haven’t sold it yet, drove it today for the first time since getting my Model 3 a few weeks ago. It feels so different now, in a bad way, heh. Tesla has raised the bar through the roof with the Model 3.

We went SC famine to feast on Northside only 0-1 others plugged in when I go to plug in. I am 7 miles from either location.

For my travels I need one in B town, and E ville
Concur on the need in Bloomington and Evansville