Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego, CA - Camino Del Sur (Black Mountain Ranch area, LIVE 11 Jan 2019)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They might just be extra conduit for future expansion.
Hmmm...Going back and looking at the original permit and the construction pictures people have posted, I think you might be right. It was originally permitted for 12 charging stations, which if they were all supercharger stalls would need 6 cabinets--the exact amount installed already. Then the permit was updated to 15 charging stations, for which they would need 8 cabinets. This seemed totally rational and looked more or less confirmed as there are spots for 2 additional cabinets to be installed on the hardware pad. Where I think I may have gone wrong was I assumed those 15 charging stations were all describing superchargers. Now, I think there were always going to be 12 supercharger stalls but the 3 stations that were added were the L2 EVCS, hence 15 total EVCS. In which case, you're right that the extra conduits would be for future expansion.

I can't figure how those conduits are supposed to just sit there like that. Anyone can walk off with that table, but what's the alternative? Hope they aren't forced to come up with a barrier at this late stage.

I was speculating they need to keep them open for now, but once inspection is done they would seal them off with a caps for future use. If they seal them now, and the inspector wants to see in them, they would have a problem. Though I would also think they could just place the caps on without making them permanent.

Reactions: mociaf9
Just guessing but maybe they are starting to make the new sites SC v3 ready? That way they don't have to dig as much up when its time to upgrade? Seems like it would save them a lot of money to just run the extra conduit now. Or could just be for additional stalls.. :)

Yes and yes. Makes sense. Carlsbad had extra conduit too. If V3 is right around the corner, might as well plan for it.

Reactions: jowaldo
Yes and yes. Makes sense. Carlsbad had extra conduit too. If V3 is right around the corner, might as well plan for it.

Indeed. After posting the earlier photo of the table over the conduit at Carmel Mountain, I noticed similar “spare” conduit that had been capped at the Carlsbad SC.

3957E9EC-66A1-4285-9CF6-A76F53636F31.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: gorgonaut
Yeah seems like too much of a trend lately to be a coincidence

They could just as easily be expansion spaces for existing style SC units, as V3 units. But I do like this speculation :)

Is it likely that Tesla would just have a few stalls of v3 at each site instead of all stalls at a site? I can picture selfish/ignorant drivers sitting on a V3 supercharger getting their battery all the way to 100%, at a snails pace (due to their high SoC).

Etiquette which seems obvious to us, isn't always obvious to others.

Reactions: JeffnReno
It's been a couple days since someone has commented so I I stopped by tonight to see if there was any change. Looks like something more permanent over the extra conduit. The boxes all have locks. The pallet "Do Not Step" is still there covering something. Plastic bags still over the chargers.

That concrete pad with the "Do Not Step" pallet is for the utility transformer (big green box that's currently missing). The pallet is covering the hole where the underground conduit come up through the pad so the wiring can all get connected once the transformer is actually in place.

Reactions: Troy916
I just dropped by around dusk this afternoon. No apparent progress since last week. The transformer still hasn't been installed, and the wooden shipping pallet is still covering the hole. All of the charging stands (Tesla and J1772) are still under black covers. Lots of shipping containers around.