Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego, CA - Camino Del Sur (Black Mountain Ranch area, LIVE 11 Jan 2019)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_1024.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: DDotJ
I’m a couple minutes from this Target and unfortunately I can see myself doing this a lot as well. I personally have only gone to a Supercharger once (Qualcomm the very next morning after taking delivery of my 3), but it would be tempting if there was one down the street.

I think my rule of thumb will be: if there are multiple open spots then I’ll plug in when I go to Target since I don’t spend more than 30 min at Target anyway.

I forgot that Model S and Model X owners get 400 kWh of free supercharging per year. (Unlimited for some still, right?) With the large number of S and X owners here and the nearest Supercharger at Qualcomm, it's even more reason this location is going to be busy with locals. If the Supercharger rate is inline with the average SDG&E rates of around $0.25/kWh, it's basically $100 of free charging per year for those owners who probably weren't taking advantage of it before. For people who regularly get into the higher tiers of electricity usage, it'll be cheaper and faster than charging at home. All with the convenience of plugging in while shopping at a store nearly everyone goes to at least a few times per month. It's no-brainer.

I forgot that Model S and Model X owners get 400 kWh of free supercharging per year. (Unlimited for some still, right?) With the large number of S and X owners here and the nearest Supercharger at Qualcomm, it's even more reason this location is going to be busy with locals. If the Supercharger rate is inline with the average SDG&E rates of around $0.25/kWh, it's basically $100 of free charging per year for those owners who probably weren't taking advantage of it before. For people who regularly get into the higher tiers of electricity usage, it'll be cheaper and faster than charging at home. All with the convenience of plugging in while shopping at a store nearly everyone goes to at least a few times per month. It's no-brainer.

Anyone with an EV can get onto SDG&Es TOU-5 rate. $0.09 per kWh after midnight. You’d be stupid to hang around a $0.25 kWh supercharger if you could charge at home.

Reactions: JeffnReno
To be fair, I think people were already concerned with the Carlsbad one being infested with locals since it isn't 1 minute off the freeway. I can't say that I've been monitoring that location all the time in car but I can't imagine anything being worse than QC anyway and the couple times I went to Carlsbad there were plenty of spaces. Will there be mostly locals here? More so than usual of course since it's not adjacent to a immediate freeway but I don't think it'll be that ultra crowded. Would it get some pressure off of QC? Possible but this is on the 15 route instead of the 5 so it's hard to say.

In reality, it's all guessing anyway.

Also I see a couple posts mentioning it being 12 stalls, the permit was changed awhile back to be 15.

• Informative
To be fair, I think people were already concerned with the Carlsbad one being infested with locals since it isn't 1 minute off the freeway. I can't say that I've been monitoring that location all the time in car but I can't imagine anything being worse than QC anyway and the couple times I went to Carlsbad there were plenty of spaces. Will there be mostly locals here? More so than usual of course since it's not adjacent to a immediate freeway but I don't think it'll be that ultra crowded. Would it get some pressure off of QC? Possible but this is on the 15 route instead of the 5 so it's hard to say.

In reality, it's all guessing anyway.

Also I see a couple posts mentioning it being 12 stalls, the permit was changed awhile back to be 15.

Carlsbad has been fine. With Carlsbad (20 stalls, expandable to 26), Fashion Valley (24 stalls), downtown, and probably one or more locations in San Diego that we don’t know about, I think Tesla will finally have caught up with demand in San Diego.

I'm excited for this location because there's other things i can do. Shop, eat, drink, etc. I really like the italian place and the gelato place next door.

I would agree that your statement would be true in cases. I can think exceptions where it would make 'sense' to pay more 'cents' to charge here ;) BTW This post isn't meant to provoke a flame war. Just to inform.

Just for sake of discussion, say I need to charge 50 kwh. Total cost is about $0.09 x 50 = $4.50 at home. If I pay to use this SC at $0.25 x 50 => $12.50. The difference is $8.00.

Now if we all have the same car, same job, same pay, etc, then your assumption makes sense. But the big unknown factor that is commonly overlooked is time value of money. This varies from driver to driver, family to family.

What if I'm retired and I have nothing else to do? I might be inclined to charge at home at $0.09 to realize the cost savings. But what if I'm retired and I drive for Uber or other TCP outfits to earn extra $$? Then I might be willing to pay extra $8.00 so I can get back on the road quickly and make more $$.

What if I’m a lawyer, badly in need of a charge, and I need to get to the courtroom in SD quickly. I might be willing to pay extra $$ to use a SC so I can get to the court house, and make a lot more $$$$$$$$$.

At $0.25 per/kwh, the SC rate seems reasonable. But for the sake of argument, if Tesla increased that rate to $2.00 per/kwh, there will be some people willing to pay because there will be instances when they're willing to pay because their time is more valuable. I know it seems crazy but people do it all the time. Take New Years Eve for example. A normal Uber ride might cost $1.00 per mile. I’ve heard of people that paid $5.00 per mile to get home after several rounds of drinks.

Anyway, your comment is probably true 98% of the time.

Anyone with an EV can get onto SDG&Es TOU-5 rate. $0.09 per kWh after midnight. You’d be stupid to hang around a $0.25 kWh supercharger if you could charge at home.

10 containers?! I didn't actually count them yesterday, but looking at my photos I see the one previously reported inside the fence on the west side, plus three apparently new ones outside the fence on the east side (nearest the Target).

I was surprised too. Besides the three you counted, there were more south of the fenced area, and even more along the south side of Target past the loading docks. Could be unrelated, but I don't recall seeing them there before. Next time I'm there, I'll count again.

Construction is well underway! Based on my observation, it looks like it will be one long row of 15 back-in style urban chargers.

View attachment 342567 View attachment 342568 View attachment 342569 View attachment 342570 View attachment 342571
While I agree this makes the most sense, the concrete curb along the north side was dug up. It's the part right at the foot of the fence in your first two pictures, so you wouldn't be able to see it. I've circled the area in one of Edlin303's photos. No idea why they would do that if they are not putting chargers there.

1.jpg

Reactions: N13MS
While I agree this makes the most sense, the concrete curb along the north side was dug up. It's the part right at the foot of the fence in your first two pictures, so you wouldn't be able to see it. I've circled the area in one of Edlin303's photos. No idea why they would do that if they are not putting chargers there.

View attachment 342647
I agree, I don't see any real reason to have trenched across 2 different sections and torn up curbs if they won't be putting some stalls there. The trench towards the road is almost certainly for the HV, but the one going towards starbucks makes no sense if they don't plan to put something over there.

This is one serious project. Blocking off a Target parking lot to this extent is huge!
The pictures may not do it justice, this is on the side of Target. In all my times shopping here I have never been tempted to park over there. There are always spots in front that are closer. So while they have a lot blocked off, I doubt Target is getting many complaints other than from the employees who like being on camera when parking there so long.

I agree this will see lots of local traffic, especially Friday evenings during the dinner rush I doubt you will get a spot, but 15 is a lot of chargers, and without everyone getting free charging I think many people will only go when they are in a rush. Qualcomm is a bit of an exception not only because it was the only one, but because it, at least last I heard, didn't really charge. Assuming this one does charge, I don't expect the same level of demand. Also, people are more inclined to spend an hour or two on the clock going to charge during the day than an hour or two of personal time. At least that's true for me.

Have all the recent installs been urban? I was holding out hope for 120kw, but all the mentions I have seen lately are urban.

Reactions: Doug Martoccia
Yes, the last two San Diego area ones have been urban (downtown and Carlsbad). I suspect this one will be too. Honestly, we are talking like about 5-10 minutes charging time difference either way here since it ramps pretty quickly down from 120 kw,

Yes, the last two San Diego area ones have been urban (downtown and Carlsbad). I suspect this one will be too. Honestly, we are talking like about 5-10 minutes charging time difference either way here since it ramps pretty quickly down from 120 kw,

That only happens if that Supercharging site is not very busy and or you find a spot not paired or both A & B not in use.

Charging at any very busy Supercharger (120KW) can end up being much slow than charging at Urban Supercharger (72KW).

Several times at a very busy Supercharger (120KW) end up getting paired with another already sucking up most of that 120KW and I end up with only 35KW for a while.

If I was at a busy Urban Supercharger I would have been most likely be getting the max of 72KW, since it is split even 72KW and 72KW with it’s pair, until it starts to taper down.

So how is the Urban Supercharger 5-10 minutes slower? I not only had to wait line for a charging slot, but also had to waste much more time not getting at least 82-83KW at a Supercharger (120KW). Only the first person in that pair gets to full charge and the second person gets what is left of that 120KW.

Last edited:
Throwing a wrench in -- is this really the Carmel Mountain Supercharger? If you look on the tesla findus page it lists Carmel Mountain as 'Target opening in 2019'. The no permit, no construction, no news Escondido supercharger on the findus map says 'Target opening in 2018'. Could this 4S Ranch one really be the Escondido one and Carmel Mountain is yet to come?

I think we can all agree the physical location of this supercharger station is neither Carmel Mountain or Escondido, but these are the only two on the 'coming soon' tesla map that are remotely close to this with admittedly Carmel Mountain being the closest 'future location'. I guess we could throw in 'Del Mar' which is also listed as 'Target opening in 2018' as a possibility too.

Throwing a wrench in -- is this really the Carmel Mountain Supercharger? If you look on the tesla findus page it lists Carmel Mountain as 'Target opening in 2019'. The no permit, no construction, no news Escondido supercharger on the findus map says 'Target opening in 2018'. Could this 4S Ranch one really be the Escondido one and Carmel Mountain is yet to come?

I think we can all agree the physical location of this supercharger station is neither Carmel Mountain or Escondido, but these are the only two on the 'coming soon' tesla map that are remotely close to this with admittedly Carmel Mountain being the closest 'future location'. I guess we could throw in 'Del Mar' which is also listed as 'Target opening in 2018' as a possibility too.

Well, at least Carmel Mountain Ranch is in the same city as where this supercharger is being built! As for Del Mar, there seems to be a bunch of confusion about the boundaries. (See Beachside Del Mar or Del Mar Highlands Town Center, which are both in the City of San Diego. At least Del Mar Highlands Town Center can spell, unlike a certain other local mall! Sorry, pet peeves!)

• Funny
I work just a couple miles away and like to rideshare some evenings. The 30 mile commute from the south bay sucks a good amount of my range, so having this as a way to charge before work or during lunch should save me the time-suck of briefly charging downtown during peak rider hours.

Based on the size of the dig and Tesla's 2019 projection, curious whether some sort of other simultaneous Target project could add significant time to this construction, a la Qualcomm