Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego, CA - Camino Del Sur (Black Mountain Ranch area, LIVE 11 Jan 2019)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, at least Carmel Mountain Ranch is in the same city as where this supercharger is being built! As for Del Mar, there seems to be a bunch of confusion about the boundaries. (See Beachside Del Mar or Del Mar Highlands Town Center, which are both in the City of San Diego. At least Del Mar Highlands Town Center can spell, unlike a certain other local mall! Sorry, pet peeves!)

Um... actually no. This supercharger is being built in 4S Ranch, which is an unincorporated area of San Diego County -- not actually part of the city of San Diego. Carmel Mountain is indeed just a neighborhood within the City of San Diego -- but is often more associated with the neighboring town of Poway, just to add confusion. That area is in the Poway Unified School District as are schools in Rancho Bernardo (neighborhood of San Diego) and schools in Black Mountain Ranch (yet another neighborhood of San Diego).

While Del Mar is a separate City, Del Mar Heights is part of San Diego. It's all just so confusing.

Um... actually no. This supercharger is being built in 4S Ranch, which is an unincorporated area of San Diego County -- not actually part of the city of San Diego. Carmel Mountain is indeed just a neighborhood within the City of San Diego -- but is often more associated with the neighboring town of Poway, just to add confusion. That area is in the Poway Unified School District as are schools in Rancho Bernardo (neighborhood of San Diego) and schools in Black Mountain Ranch (yet another neighborhood of San Diego).

While Del Mar is a separate City, Del Mar Heights is part of San Diego. It's all just so confusing.

Hmm.. going by Google Maps, this supercharger is in the city limits, but I'm not sure how definitive that it. It is very close to the city limits.

Edit to add: SanGIS agrees that it's within the city limits. The line follows Lone Quail Rd and cuts through Del Norte High School. Parcel Lookup Tool

Last edited:
Hmm.. going by Google Maps, this supercharger is in the city limits, but I'm not sure how definitive that it. It is very close to the city limits.

Edit to add: SanGIS agrees that it's within the city limits. The line follows Lone Quail Rd and cuts through Del Norte High School. Parcel Lookup Tool
Yep. My mistake. Those border lines are tricky. So even though 4S is outside of San Diego, this Target and its parking lot which services 4S is in San Diego. I think this is just a further example of why I find it all confusing.

Yep. My mistake. Those border lines are tricky. So even though 4S is outside of San Diego, this Target and its parking lot which services 4S is in San Diego. I think this is just a further example of why I find it all confusing.

It is a very strangely-shaped city. It's not even contiguous on the southern end!

upload_2018-10-11_17-28-0.png

It is a very strangely-shaped city. It's not even contiguous on the southern end!

It has to be. That's why a sliver of the bay is considered within San Diego City Limits. Note the green connecting line -- maybe 50-100 feet wide but a few miles long?
Capture.JPG

Back to the point though -- I still question whether this new construction is the one Tesla is calling Carmel Mountain, which isn't targeted by them until 2019.

• Informative
Reactions: heems
So how is the Urban Supercharger 5-10 minutes slower? I not only had to wait line for a charging slot, but also had to waste much more time not getting at least 82-83KW at a Supercharger (120KW). Only the first person in that pair gets to full charge and the second person gets what is left of that 120KW.

Waiting time is irrelevant; a supercharger site can be congested with either configuration. This is about charging time and rate.

If you average 100kw for 30 minutes, that would yield a total of 50kwh.

If you average 72kw for 40 minutes, that would yield a total of 48kwh.

Has anyone ever averaged a charge rate of 100kw for 30 minutes?

The Target is actually not in 4S Ranch. It's in Del Sur, which neighbors 4S Ranch. 4S Ranch is unincorporated, but Del Sur is actually San Diego City. The border is a couple blocks east of the Target, just past the Design39 campus.

Stopped by today, it really is 9 or 10 containers, which seems excessive to me, but with that many chargers, street light, and lots of conduit I guess maybe it makes sense. They have trenched to the road now, and along the northernmost section. They also have wood in place for pouring a slab, so I’m pretty sure that will be transformers and not charging spots.

Attachments

• 4AEB94A3-D7DE-4D96-AF36-70BDDB75ED01.jpeg
    4AEB94A3-D7DE-4D96-AF36-70BDDB75ED01.jpeg
    863 KB · Views: 108
  • FA6C00F8-2C35-4707-884E-A5FE45089AED.jpeg
    FA6C00F8-2C35-4707-884E-A5FE45089AED.jpeg
    908.4 KB · Views: 112
  • 6AF9C035-C16B-4503-B03D-D1B361424146.jpeg
    6AF9C035-C16B-4503-B03D-D1B361424146.jpeg
    784.4 KB · Views: 105
Stopped by today, it really is 9 or 10 containers, which seems excessive to me, but with that many chargers, street light, and lots of conduit I guess maybe it makes sense. They have trenched to the road now, and along the northernmost section. They also have wood in place for pouring a slab, so I’m pretty sure that will be transformers and not charging spots.

Not that much considering so many people living in the area. 26 cents a kWh is cheap compared to what SDG&E charges for at home.... for a lot of new3 owners.... there are some many 3s in recent months here.

Not that much considering so many people living in the area. 26 cents a kWh is cheap compared to what SDG&E charges for at home.... for a lot of new3 owners.... there are some many 3s in recent months here.
What do you mean? I pay sdg&e 9 cents/kwh after midnight, which is when it counts. Even the regular rate is less than 26 cents unless you’re on a tiered rate or insist on charging during peak tou periods

What do you mean? I pay sdg&e 9 cents/kwh after midnight, which is when it counts. Even the regular rate is less than 26 cents unless you’re on a tiered rate or insist on charging during peak tou periods

Not everyone has a garage like us. There are some in condos without private garage in the area. There are more of these housing being built as prices are getting more expensive. They have to charge anywhere/wherever. And dang, those other non-Tesla public charging stations want an arm and leg to charge... especially Chargepoint.

I used to live in South Bay in SF Bay Area. You should have seen Leaf owners (living in apartments or condos ) charging for free for 2 hours and have their wife pick them up and drop them off. Looks like that is happening now too in our area now as there are no open spot for L2 charging at Target in Poway or BB&B just a few blocks away.

I’m not sure if you meant to quote someone else, but your post seems unrelated to the number of shipping containers needed for 15 SCs. All I commented on is 10 huge containers for 15 SCs seemed excessive.

I think fingers-crossed for the end of the year. Downtown was ~3 months and opened at the end of Q2, Carlsbad was a strange one but I'll attribute to heat and site amending issues, so that took ~5 months and was ready at end of Q3. Hoping this takes under 3 months and is ready for Q4!

• Informative
Reactions: JeffnReno
Kinda funny, went to gmaps to look at the area on satellite, and the whole Target lot is back to flattened dirt! The colors look a little more rich, but it's strange that they went so far backwards in this latest "update"?

Anyway, slightly back on topic for the first time in a while, several workers were on sight yesterday, taking a lunch/heat break when I passed by. I am getting slightly concerned about the potential for ICE'ing, as several people were trying to park on that side, but were having to turn around at the end of the aisle (where delivery trucks pull in) after finding it was full. I think the reality is that ICE shoppers will see the "30 minute general parking" and not think twice about clogging it up during daytime peak shopping hours.

• Informative
Kinda funny, went to gmaps to look at the area on satellite, and the whole Target lot is back to flattened dirt! The colors look a little more rich, but it's strange that they went so far backwards in this latest "update"?

Anyway, slightly back on topic for the first time in a while, several workers were on sight yesterday, taking a lunch/heat break when I passed by. I am getting slightly concerned about the potential for ICE'ing, as several people were trying to park on that side, but were having to turn around at the end of the aisle (where delivery trucks pull in) after finding it was full. I think the reality is that ICE shoppers will see the "30 minute general parking" and not think twice about clogging it up during daytime peak shopping hours.

I haven't seen any old school oblivious ICE'ing lately but I do notice some non plug in prius' have figured out they can get away with it at least at L2 chargers.

I bet if you ICEd a Chademo some leaf drivers would be waiting for you with a tire iron.

• Funny