Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Cary, NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Always install an HPWC. I supercharge 66% of the time given that I travel so much, but you want fast charging at home and I even installed one as arriving home and skipping that last charging stop makes all the difference in your life (yes I get free lifetime supercharging on my Model 3 Performance). Even if it's a low amperage 240V connection using your provided portable connector, you will not regret it. Tesla sells their HPWC at a relative discount compared to the competition, it works well, is well engineered, and is perfect for any Tesla owner no matter what kind of 240V power they have available. USD$500 is cheap for a wall connector.

Looking forward to the Cary supercharger being energized soon, will make more varied commutes possible for me at least.

Thats a good point. It would be nice to be able to skip the last SC stop. Our most common trip only needs one short stop, so we could just drive straight home. I'm just rather cheap when it comes to paying for installation; I didn't want to pay the Tesla premium.

I've been driving EVs since 2012 and never needed more than the wall outlet before. But my old commute was on side roads and now it's on 540. We went from 2 mi round trip for groceries to 10+, with everything else similarly further away. Add that to new house having GFCI outlets that trip constantly when Model 3 is plugged in (but never for the Leaf), and suddenly forgetting one day is enough to leave me uncomfortably low. Of course, the builder's electrician said GFCI tripping was because UWC needs to be on 240 :rolleyes:

Thats a good point. It would be nice to be able to skip the last SC stop. Our most common trip only needs one short stop, so we could just drive straight home. I'm just rather cheap when it comes to paying for installation; I didn't want to pay the Tesla premium.

I've been driving EVs since 2012 and never needed more than the wall outlet before. But my old commute was on side roads and now it's on 540. We went from 2 mi round trip for groceries to 10+, with everything else similarly further away. Add that to new house having GFCI outlets that trip constantly when Model 3 is plugged in (but never for the Leaf), and suddenly forgetting one day is enough to leave me uncomfortably low. Of course, the builder's electrician said GFCI tripping was because UWC needs to be on 240 :rolleyes:

The Tesla premium? The Wall Connector is the best bang-for-your-buck EVSE on the market.

He probably means how the install of a 240v drop doubles as soon as the electrician realizes you have a Tesla.

Yes, that's what I meant. At my last house, the panel was right next to where I wanted the EVSE mounted. An electrician quoted $250 when we only had the Leaf. Only a couple years later, when they saw I got the Tesla, it was $600.

I'd park it in the separate garage and just leave the Leaf in the main garage but they'll know it's not for a Leaf when I ask for a 60 A (let alone a 100 A) breaker.

They think you're Mr Moneybags, but many contractors spend more on a truck. Certainly more when you factor gas.

Last edited:
Update as of November 16th at 01:28PM...
IMG_20191116_132448.jpg
IMG_20191116_132742.jpg
...no change. But I do meet a new fellow Tesla owner every time I stop by; were multiplying!

Add that to new house having GFCI outlets that trip constantly when Model 3 is plugged in (but never for the Leaf), and suddenly forgetting one day is enough to leave me uncomfortably low. Of course, the builder's electrician said GFCI tripping was because UWC needs to be on 240 :rolleyes:

Must be something about the new GFCI outlets. I have a 15 year old house with 20A circuits in the garage (but 15A outlets). i replaced the GFCI outlet with a 20A one so I could charge @ 16A, but it kept blowing about 10 seconds after I plugged in. On a hunch, I put the old 15A one back in since the back says the GFCI protects 20A even if the outlet itself is only 15 (my mobile connector is plugged into a different 20A outlet I installed on the same circuit), and the car charged fine @ 16A. No idea where to find an older GFCI outlet, but that might do the trick for you.

As for HPWC, if you also have a Leaf or contemplate getting another non-Tesla EV, you might be better off with a 40A 240A outlet, or one of the generic J-1772 wall connectors. Then you might not get charged the Tesla surcharge. also stay away from the installers on Tesla's website - they definitely charge a premium. I found an electrician to install mine for half the price - referred by my local Tesla sales rep!