Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Casa Grande, AZ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I Drove by again this afternoon, and from outside appearances, it looks done. The enclosure is finished, all the stalls are buttoned up... everything's in place. I imagine that the City needs to do their inspections before power is applied. After that Tesla likely will do some testing and verifications. Then we should be in business!

Keep your fingers crossed!!

Casa Grande Operational

I went over to Culver's this evening for dinner, and I find a Tesla plugged in and charging!! I met up with Stealth (from TMC). He had also arrived for dinner and to look the site over. The SC crew saw his car and asked him if he wanted to charge. They pulled back the security tape enough for him to back in, and he plugged up and started receiving juice. When I pulled up, there was enough room for me to pull up next to him, but I parked head in... first, because I didn't know that he was actually charging, and secondly, I live 1 mile away, and was already at 80%, so I didn't need any power.

The Store owner was out there and was telling me I was 20 minutes late to be the first!! So, in my best 'Get Smart' imitation, I said that 'I missed it by THAT much...' Tesla had been on site earlier in the day to do their testing, and apparently everything is fine. They still have the security tape across the lanes because they had just painted the asphalt and the parking stripes, and were wanting to let it dry a bit more. They asked us to be careful and to roll straight in/out. There is still a little painting and cosmetic work to do on the enclosure, but that is pretty minor.

I imagine we will be getting the official announcement from Tesla very soon, but this is great news!!

I was the first customer to charge at the new Tesla Supercharger in Casa Grande. I plugged in right about 5:00 pm. My wife and I drove down from Mesa to check out the status of supercharger and to eat at Culver's. I talked to a couple of employees and also the store owner and was told it was not open yet, but Tesla had been there testing earlier in the day. Before I left, I took a few pictures and was getting ready to drive back home, but decided to stop my car in front of the construction tape to take a picture of my car with the charging stalls behind it. When I was getting ready to drive off, one of the construction guys walked up and asked me if I wanted to charge, and I said sure, and it worked great. Several minutes after I started charging, TES-E drove up and I had a nice conversation with him. I'll try to post a few pictures soon.

- - - Updated - - -

20140930_170626.jpg
Here I am as the first to charge in Casa Grande!:biggrin:

- - - Updated - - -

20140930_170704.jpg

Sweeeeet!

This has to be one of the quickest installations ever! Thanks TES-E for staying on top of the site with photos and info! I'm sure it looks great at night too, with the red 'TESLA' lit up on each pedestal. The southern route via I-10 to Texas and on to Florida may very well be done by the end of the first quarter next year. Let's hope so. This is another site moving in that direction!!

Fantastic!

can someone tell me why Cordes Junction is still not live? This one took a couple weeks from ground breaking to live. CJ has been finished for about 2 months, just waiting for the transformer...

both of these are in APS territory too...

Fantastic!

can someone tell me why Cordes Junction is still not live? This one took a couple weeks from ground breaking to live. CJ has been finished for about 2 months, just waiting for the transformer...

both of these are in APS territory too...

Indio took a very long time to come online as well. The transformer was very late in coming. In that case the utility company guy claimed it was not their fault. So CJ is not unique. I think it may be transformer availability and the pace of the city/county government.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, Tesla SC page still does not CG as open. Perhaps the final tests have not been done by Tesla. I charged at Harris Ranch several days before the site was open. It was live but not blessed by Tesla yet. I am very happy this station came up so quickly as I'll need it on a trip later this year.

Supercharging in Casa Grande...

Just got back from "testing" the supercharger at the Culver's in Casa Grande. Super easy to get to it's very close to the freeway- This will be wonderful for us in Tucson when traveling beyond Phoenix or even around Phoenix for the day. :smile:

I got around 200MPH charging on my car, I saw the current at 219Amps and Volts about 379 when I first plugged in, the miles adding at that point were about 190-

I can report my AC turned on a few minutes after it started charging, and turned off when the charge started to get close to my set point ( 230miles)

As for the site, I think I was the 3rd car to charge there, the one worker that was doing some cleanup/punch list stuff said I was the first one he'd seen today. The tow folks that charged last night also stated that stalls 3-6 were still blocked with caution tape, and that was still the case at 11:30 this morning

I did notice one odd thing: there are 7 parking spots, so the far right spot isn't capable of being reached by the cord on the far right station. I almost backed into that spot and then realized that spot isn't a charging spot. ( and doesn't have a Tesla sign either )

Culver's is a nice family fast food restaurant, if you like Frozen Custard, they have probably about the best of that. Good service and good food.

Obligatory picture of car charging:

IMG_0560.jpg
IMG_0557.jpg

Thanks Tesla!

Last edited:
Just got back from "testing" the supercharger at the Culver's in Casa Grande. Super easy to get to it's very close to the freeway- This will be wonderful for us in Tucson when traveling beyond Phoenix or even around Phoenix for the day. :smile:

I got around 200MPH charging on my car, I saw the current at 219Amps and Volts about 379 when I first plugged in, the miles adding at that point were about 190-

I can report my AC turned on a few minutes after it started charging, and turned off when the charge started to get close to my set point ( 230miles)

As for the site, I think I was the 3rd car to charge there, the one worker that was doing some cleanup/punch list stuff said I was the first one he'd seen today. The tow folks that charged last night also stated that stalls 3-6 were still blocked with caution tape, and that was still the case at 11:30 this morning

I did notice one odd thing: there are 7 parking spots, so the far right spot isn't capable of being reached by the cord on the far right station. I almost backed into that spot and then realized that spot isn't a charging spot. ( and doesn't have a Tesla sign either )

Culver's is a nice family fast food restaurant, if you like Frozen Custard, they have probably about the best of that. Good service and good food.

Obligatory picture of car charging:

View attachment 60446View attachment 60447

Thanks Tesla!

Your charging rate seems super low?

(219A*379v) 83.001 kWh at 151 miles of charge is normal... the supercharger is tapering, you'll only get the full 135kWh for a very short while. Tapering begins very early when supercharging, you'll only see the full 135kWh if you arrive at the supercharger with very few miles remaining. When you are traveling using superchargers you want to arrive with as few miles as you (your personal anxiety level will allow) so your time spent at each supercharger is minimal. ... then on to your next supercharger! Otherwise on long trips, you'll be hurting any time constraints you may have. Also, by short (time wise) charging you do not block the supercharger for other MS drivers. Supercharge what you need and a small cushion and off you go!

I was thinking it was tapering also- notice I had 151 miles left when I plugged in. so that's pretty much where tapering starts I think. This was just a test anyway, I think it worked very well for what I was trying to achieve. When I start a long road trip in a couple of months, I will head the advice to run the battery charge on the "low side" to speed up the supercharging. Probably will keep a range buffer between 25-60 miles Thanks for the advice