Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Casa Grande, AZ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The few times I have been here during dining hours it has been busy, which meant a few ICE vehicles in the charging stalls. I'm sorry to hear of the harsh words towards you from the passenger, Bill.

3 iced places at Culvers. Likely employees since not open yet.

image.jpg
Restaurant opens at 10 am. Charging at 9:30 am. 3 of 6 spots iced.I assume Culvers employees since it's not open so no customers. Long walk to bank and plenty of parking there.

At least the two on the left were in the "30Min General parking spots" The other day I was there and there was a truck parked in one of the "Tesla only" spots ( 3 are Tesla Only.. I actually was still there when the owner returned, and explained that these are our "gas pumps" They were very apologetic, and said that when they arrived the rest of the spots in the Culvers lot were occupied. They also said they would be more mindful in the future. I fear this lack of education about superchargers is wide spread. I also noted that there is a new restaurant nearing completion next to Culvers- this will just make the ICE parking worse- I did make sure I thanked the Culvers manager on duty for hosting the spots. They seem appreciative that someone would thank them.

Edit: And indeed the 7th spot on the right is not a charging spot- it's just a parking spot- It's a bit odd that they did it that way.

Last edited:
At least the two on the left were in the "30Min General parking spots" The other day I was there and there was a truck parked in one of the "Tesla only" spots ( 3 are Tesla Only.. I actually was still there when the owner returned, and explained that these are our "gas pumps" They were very apologetic, and said that when they arrived the rest of the spots in the Culvers lot were occupied. They also said they would be more mindful in the future. I fear this lack of education about superchargers is wide spread. I also noted that there is a new restaurant nearing completion next to Culvers- this will just make the ICE parking worse- I did make sure I thanked the Culvers manager on duty for hosting the spots. They seem appreciative that someone would thank them.

Edit: And indeed the 7th spot on the right is not a charging spot- it's just a parking spot- It's a bit odd that they did it that way.
Better than my experience. Also a pickup in a TM only spot, but when I mentioned to the returning owners that that spot was for charging, got basically told to go to hell. And the lovely wife flipped me off as they drove away. Nice folks...not!

Once this winter I SC'd there and someone parked in the Tesla only spot next to me as I was sitting in the car. A pick up. I rolled my window down and told the driver that the spot was for Tesla charging. He asked me what I had to pay for a "fill up" and I said, nothing, it's built into the price of the car. He then snarked some. Then some fans came over to ask a bunch of questions and as I was occupied with them the pickup driver just went inside.

Now a while back I made up some pretty cards that explain to people why Tesla's needed the designated spots referring to what if all gasoline filling stations were clogged up with electric cars that don't need gasoline when you need gasoline. I have left one a handful of times on ICE cars in spots for SC'ing. On this one, I was a little rude back at them and added to the note, you're kind of a jerk, huh? :)

Felt good, have to say. I wish I could have seen his face when he saw that.

Now a while back I made up some pretty cards that explain to people why Tesla's needed the designated spots referring to what if all gasoline filling stations were clogged up with electric cars that don't need gasoline when you need gasoline. I have left one a handful of times on ICE cars in spots for SC'ing. On this one, I was a little rude back at them and added to the note, you're kind of a jerk, huh? :)

Felt good, have to say. I wish I could have seen his face when he saw that.
I would be useful if we could have the text of your 'cards' so the rest of us could do the same. I could easily imagine computer-printing such cards on Avery Business Card stock and keep them available in the glove box.

I would be useful if we could have the text of your 'cards' so the rest of us could do the same. I could easily imagine computer-printing such cards on Avery Business Card stock and keep them available in the glove box.

We are in a tough spot when it comes to ICEing. We need to educate the local population of our need for charging access. The experience that Napabill had shows the lack of understanding and willingness for some to change their habits. Personally I don't like the idea of placing a card or flyer on someone else's car. A few years back Blink posted four versions of Iceing notices for us to use. The tone ranged from pleasant to snarky. I would hate for a good intentioned note to anger the offending ICE driver or passenger to the point of damaging (key, marker, or worse) one of our cars.

We are in a tough spot when it comes to ICEing. We need to educate the local population of our need for charging access. The experience that Napabill had shows the lack of understanding and willingness for some to change their habits. Personally I don't like the idea of placing a card or flyer on someone else's car. A few years back Blink posted four versions of Iceing notices for us to use. The tone ranged from pleasant to snarky. I would hate for a good intentioned note to anger the offending ICE driver or passenger to the point of damaging (key, marker, or worse) one of our cars.

Further, I would argue that while it may feel good to respond with a snarky answer, that will almost certainly accomplish the opposite of what we want, which is for ICE folks to be considerate. Biting one's tongue and politely explaining why those spaces are reserved for EVs will more likely achieve the change we want. Expressing understanding and sympathy for why he chose to park there--sounds like Culver's needs a bigger parking lot--would be more helpful. Perhaps not right away, but after the ICE drives away, if he's not focused on what a jerk the EV owner was to him, he might start to realize and embrace the idea of reserved spots for EVs. What we really want is for him to come to this conclusion himself, as if it's his idea. Then he is more likely to be not just accommodating but an advocate. That's the puzzle to contemplate: How to get him to want to agree with us. Think of it as an engineering problem.

Having just completed my 6 SC trip from Tucson to Napa, I've come to the conclusion that the placement of the chargers determines how much ICE'ing occurs. Casa Grande has it's chargers where you must back in to use them. It is very easy for an ICE vehicle to just pull in and park. But the layout with the chargers where you can pull in to charge makes it a little more confining for the ICE and, therefore, less attractive. I can promise you that those big diesel Pick'em Up trucks would be less inclined to try and squeeze in.

2-8-18 I want to give a Heads up on a potential upcoming problem at the Casa Grande supercharger- We charged there today and there is some heavy equipment actively digging up the road near the superchargers - The main road into the supercharger is closed and you have to access the superchargers from the East side of them for now- What's not clear yet, Will this equipment/excavation be causing no access to the superchargers in the near future? I don't know, but there were some utility locations marked in the pavement in front of the superchargers. So if you plan to use these in the near future, you might be prepared for them to be inaccessible. I hope I'm wrong.

Stopped there yesterday as well.

Just continue east on the main road (East Florence Blvd) past the Walgreens and then turn right to enter the general parking lot area. Drive between the various businesses to the east-west road on the south perimeter of the parking lots and you will be on the Supercharger side of the construction equipment and can then access the Supercharger stalls in the normal manner. It was early in the day so we walked across the street for breakfast at one the restaurants there before proceeding on our journey.

I saw this comment from 4 years ago (time flies!), I just want to make sure this SC location is open 24/7 these days as I plan on passing thru here at night soon. There hasn't been much activity in this thread, anyone who passed thru here recently care to comment on the general state of the location? Thanks!
The Casa Grande Chargers are open 24 hrs/day. There are other food choices within walking distance which are open later than 10pm. I visit that charger about once a month. There are usually a few cars plugged in. The location is always clean and is located adjacent/"behind" to the Culver's restaurant. There is direct access to the charger through a road that runs behind the stores. You may want to look at a map of the area, because the navigation sometimes will take you there in a roundabout way.