Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Casper (Evansville) WY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We’re making this drive on 7/1. Have tried to make it Wheatland to Sheridan? I have a LR Model 3, it should be able to make the 255 miles, right?

All the suggestions above are spot on — especially the headwinds warning. Headwinds can play havoc with your range. I’ll add one more suggestion, as you head north on I-25 keep an eye on the estimated destination SoC. If it starts to drop below your comfort level stop at the Hilton Garden Inn for a snack (as suggested by @McNugget3), or start slowing down, or keep in mind there are 9.6kW chargers in Kaycee and Buffalo at the RV parks (according to PlugShare). I’d call and check with the RV parks before you leave but for me, driving around Wyoming, RV parks are a nice fallback plan.

• Helpful
Reactions: outdoors
We’re making this drive on 7/1. Have tried to make it Wheatland to Sheridan? I have a LR Model 3, it should be able to make the 255 miles, right?

Did that trip last June. Topped it off in Wheatland. We might have made it to Sheridan, but it would have been really close. We stopped in Buffalo, and the really nice folks at the Quality Inn on Bypass Rd have two Tesla HPWC that they let anyone use. We plugged in and walked along the creek to downtown. Had a drink at the historic Occidental Hotel bar.

I once drove from Wheatland to Sheridan... I have a LR M3 DM. I charged to 310 miles in Wheatland, then took off. I followed the cars prompts to slow down to under 75 to make it to my destination, so I slowed to 70, then it prompted 70, I went 65. It was hard going slower on open road, and everybody passing you. I also turned off the AC, etc. I did make it with 9 miles showing on the battery. I knew I could just keep slowing down if necessary to make it to Sheridan, but it wasn't fun (range increases dramatically if you slow way down). I use the rule of thumb of 80% of the miles showing on the battery, as your range with normal driving. So 310 mile is really 248 miles. Future trips I went through Gillette instead. It is about 30 additional miles...so will be VERY nice to have a Casper SuperCharger!!! :)

Reactions: Bighorn
I’ve been detouring to Gillette and sometimes Lusk for over 6 years. When you see 350 Wh/m, you’ll recognize the need for a Plan B. I’ve also relied on a couple old 70A Roadster chargers in Casper, but waiting 4 hours is no fun.
You helped me find a Dr in Casper where I could charge between Lusk and Sheridan. I charged at his house and had a burger at a nearby bar. The Hampton Inn in Sheridan had a couple of HPWC chargers.

Reactions: Bighorn
I once drove from Wheatland to Sheridan... I have a LR M3 DM. I charged to 310 miles in Wheatland, then took off. I followed the cars prompts to slow down to under 75 to make it to my destination, so I slowed to 70, then it prompted 70, I went 65. It was hard going slower on open road, and everybody passing you. I also turned off the AC, etc. I did make it with 9 miles showing on the battery. I knew I could just keep slowing down if necessary to make it to Sheridan, but it wasn't fun (range increases dramatically if you slow way down). I use the rule of thumb of 80% of the miles showing on the battery, as your range with normal driving. So 310 mile is really 248 miles. Future trips I went through Gillette instead. It is about 30 additional miles...so will be VERY nice to have a Casper SuperCharger!!! :)

What about using the side roads? If time is not a problem, there are a few locations along that route where you can jump over and slow down somewhat. Street view shows some decent hwys sorta parallel and my investigation only added 2 miles to the distance. You may see some of the countryside that you have missed. Plus - eases that anxiety. Keep an eye on usage. If not working you can always get back on the Interstate.

Reactions: PACEMD
I use the rule of thumb of 80% of the miles showing on the battery, as your range with normal driving. So 310 mile is really 248 miles.
This is a decent rule of thumb for warm weather and 70mph, but probably not appropriate for this part of the country. In winter on this stretch, my rule of thumb would be more like 60%. Even that could be tight if you insist on driving over 80mph into a headwind or something.

Reactions: PACEMD
Stopped by the Hat Six today and everything looks ready but no juice yet.

Also, the Hampton/Hilton Garden Inn in Casper is down to one Tesla charger possibly. The plastic adapter piece is gone on the second one. I wasn't brave evough to test if it was still working like that, but snapped a couple photos. No clue who to report this to except the overworked front desk staff there...

Attachments

• IMG_20200623_180608582_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200623_180608582_HDR.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20200623_180550240_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200623_180550240_HDR.jpg
    722.2 KB · Views: 68
  • Informative
Reactions: mociaf9