Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Castaic, CA (LIVE 13 Aug 2022, 12 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M

MarcoRP

New Supercharger coming soon to Castaic, CA!!

Tesla has filed new permits on EpicLA for a 12 stall build at Castaic Creek Plaza (29435 Old Road).

Attached is a copy of the building permit:

Castaic.jpg

Nice! But somehow I think this will be crowded. Need to have at least 20 V3 stalls here imo. Otherwise like others have said, it will be congested. Also I think it should be on the side going north of the 5. Most will need the juice going up that hill. But I guess we'll take what we can.
According to Supercharge.info/Mapbox there's little difference in distance or time heading north or south.
Southbound has a left turn at a light. Northbound just has rotaries.

It's under 50 miles from Tejon Ranch, CA and there aren't many significant places in between. Maybe a location at a gas station in Gorman,
Otherwise they could potentially try to add another Castaic, CA location at exit 176B.
Santa Clarita, CA is less convenient, but that would act as relief when Castaic, CA is busy.

Castaic, CA

Along Primary Interstates: I-5
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): None
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-5

To: Tejon Ranch, CA - Outlets at Tejon Pkwy, CA - 46.9 miles
Diversion: 0.8 miles
To: Tejon Ranch, CA - 47.1 miles

It is hard to say how the masses utilize Supercharging. Maybe those who rely solely on the Tesla navigation will be the ones to use this spot more than the rest of us who know how to time our drives into and out of Southern California. Personally, Tejon Ranch is a far superior location.

This is a great location from I-5 travelers. Right next to the freeway, which is why I never liked the existing Santa Clarita. Too bad it is only 12 stalls. I am sure there are plenty of people who can skip Tejon and make it up the hill. From there, there is little energy used to get to this site.

What do a bunch of brand new single family homes need a supercharger for?

I meant many would own a Tesla and they would all come to this station
I think he meant, most brand new single family homes would likely have EV charging already, or the ability to add it easily enough, that such people would never need a supercharger.

Last edited:
The building permit hasn't been issued yet. Current status is "Approved Pending Clearances". Which sounds like it's passed all the county building reviews--the log shows that happening on 2022-01-20--but there is some outstanding item from an outside agency that needs to be signed off on before they'll let them go ahead. Anyone who wants to keep an eye on this one can check the link above and report back when the status changes to "Issued".

The new housing behind 6 Flags has solar panels from builder on all homes by default.
Yeah, I thought that has been a requirement in California for a year or two. It is a great way to get solar adoption up. They put minimal panels up on the roof but have the inverter, switch panel that supports solar, etc. And if the homeowner wants to expand they already have a lot of the wiring run and hidden.