Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Castle Creek, NY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This "weird" diner let me use their bathrooms so they're good in my book.

Yes, I've used them too, but I felt like I was at the county fair in one of those mirror mazes trying to find may way to and from the bathroom!

Don't get me wrong. I'm originally from that area, and it's very "New York State" and typical for the area. I was not so much complaining about the weird diner (which I just find strange, but not in a bad way), as the fact that the location is actually situated well off the exits on either side, and it's a bit confusing getting back on 81 heading north with a ton of quick left turns in succession with protected turn lanes, so you need to be careful to pick the right one! The Castle Creek location should be easier on and off. Actually it will be nice to have both: one for easy on/off and basic convenience store amenities, and the other if you want more dining and pie options!

Yes, I've used them too, but I felt like I was at the county fair in one of those mirror mazes trying to find may way to and from the bathroom!

Don't get me wrong. I'm originally from that area, and it's very "New York State" and typical for the area. I was not so much complaining about the weird diner (which I just find strange, but not in a bad way), as the fact that the location is actually situated well off the exits on either side, and it's a bit confusing getting back on 81 heading north with a ton of quick left turns in succession with protected turn lanes, so you need to be careful to pick the right one! The Castle Creek location should be easier on and off. Actually it will be nice to have both: one for easy on/off and basic convenience store amenities, and the other if you want more dining and pie options!
I'm afraid that the old supercharger will fall in to disuse and will be overgrown with trees. Also the diner might also lose business. But I agree, a gen3 supercharger right at the exit will be good for everyone.

Reactions: RTPEV
I wonder if Tesla "sees" people avoiding this supercharger, maybe increasing congestion elsewhere.

I avoid stopping here.

Same deal with Utica. That thruway exit is a disaster. Though now that toll booths are a thing of the past, hopefully that gets fixed.
In many cases like this, they drop the old location from the Nav but leave it active for a while but eventually decommission it. There can be any number of reasons to decommission older sites, but I think the most likely reason is that Tesla had much less negotiating leverage with early locations and had to take what they could get. This could mean non-favorable leases, businesses that don't really want them in their lot, costly power, etc. Sometimes it's just better to start over in a better location under more favorable conditions.

Just called up the Mirabito at the listed address and they didn’t know anything about upcoming chargers. Could be that they’re not affiliated but you’d think they would know if it were in the process of getting built.
Disappointing, but not surprising that whomever you spoke to didn't have a clue as to what is going on.

Electrify America has stations going in at that site as well. You would think that it would be super-obvious that something is going on there, but I'm guessing that the person you spoke to might not have actually been local.

Reactions: BagheeraNY
Disappointing, but not surprising that whomever you spoke to didn't have a clue as to what is going on.

Electrify America has stations going in at that site as well. You would think that it would be super-obvious that something is going on there, but I'm guessing that the person you spoke to might not have actually been local.
So I guess this hasn't even been started yet...