Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Castlegar, BC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Stopped in just now. The existing transformer by the BMO"

Let me complete that thought now that I'm not depending on LTE...

Stopped by tonight, no transformer on location. Existing transformer across the parking lot by the BMO has no meter, but is running (humming). Can only assume the transformer pad has not been poured, but will be immediately north of the tesla switch gear. There is a control box for the traffic lights immediately adjacent to this, so presumably this is the power source???

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9 and pb2000
The sidewalk has steel access panels, so there is probably a cable vault or conduit running underneath with HV cable. Despite the nice rock landscaping done by the contractor, I'd guess the power company will indeed need to dig it up again to place the transformer.

Checked yesterday, as clegg said in the Nov 29, 2021 post fencing still up and no other apparent changes. It is interesting that there is no sign of a "green" transformer or designated location for one. If you look at the attached picture there is a gray cabinet different from all the other white ones and it is close to the power pole. Is it possible this is a Fortis transformer? Another interesting issue is that none of the cabinets have a place for a meter.

Attachments

• 2021-12-17 Castlegar Supercharger.jpg
    2021-12-17 Castlegar Supercharger.jpg
    733.9 KB · Views: 251
Reactions: mociaf9
Checked yesterday, as clegg said in the Nov 29, 2021 post fencing still up and no other apparent changes. It is interesting that there is no sign of a "green" transformer or designated location for one. If you look at the attached picture there is a gray cabinet different from all the other white ones and it is close to the power pole. Is it possible this is a Fortis transformer? Another interesting issue is that none of the cabinets have a place for a meter.
The gray cabinet to the left is probably for the traffic signals, Earlier photos in early stages of construction show it was pre-existing.

The transformer is probably going to be in the area under the fencing, it's sized about right. There doesn't appear to be a pad for it yet, but there is a conduit painted orange in front of the Tesla power cabinets where it will probably feed from the transformer to the power cabinets.

Perhaps the meter might be attached to the transformer. Atco did something like this for the Jasper install.

Reactions: mociaf9 and GFBurch
The gray cabinet to the left is probably for the traffic signals, Earlier photos in early stages of construction show it was pre-existing.

The transformer is probably going to be in the area under the fencing, it's sized about right. There doesn't appear to be a pad for it yet, but there is a conduit painted orange in front of the Tesla power cabinets where it will probably feed from the transformer to the power cabinets.

Xelloss99, thanks for the comments, what you say makes sense. It is curious that in all the other builds I have seen the Tesla contractor has always put in the pad and bollards for the Fortis transformer. I have looked all around the site a couple of times and there is no pad or extra bollards in the vicinity. I do agree where you are suggesting it should be is the logical spot.

Any updates?
Went for a visit this morning; apologies for the sunrise in the photos. Seems ready for concrete at the transformer pad. To the east of this is a conduit (green top) adjacent to an excavated "hole" currently covered by steel temp fencing panels (left of pictures). The "hole" is approx 36" deep. Still too cold for easy concrete pour presumably, and also presume concrete junction box on tarmac will be buried in this "hole". That's all I got from this visit...

IMG_2755.JPEG
IMG_2756.JPEG