Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Castlegar, BC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As ridiculous as it sounds to be "Under Construction" for so long, it is only in 15th place as length under construction. This graph does not include time from permit, just time under construction.
1661461217825.png

I passed through here on Sunday and still no meter. Saw a confused looking Bolt owner, so perhaps this is impacting the FLO equipment as well?

Attachments

• 2C3BCE7C-80D9-4E13-B0A0-2CAD19D51B77.jpeg
    2C3BCE7C-80D9-4E13-B0A0-2CAD19D51B77.jpeg
    682.2 KB · Views: 67
  • ECD9A95C-BD80-4047-AF19-DFBF302F9701.jpeg
    ECD9A95C-BD80-4047-AF19-DFBF302F9701.jpeg
    641.2 KB · Views: 63
  • CA1F9627-6CCF-4D65-97F2-B0CFA0C74AE4.jpeg
    CA1F9627-6CCF-4D65-97F2-B0CFA0C74AE4.jpeg
    366.3 KB · Views: 68
  • 87226835-82F7-400C-86AE-E2C8C142E767.jpeg
    87226835-82F7-400C-86AE-E2C8C142E767.jpeg
    996.4 KB · Views: 64
Did you try contacting Fortis like Eco-Logical did. Maybe more pressure from the local customers would help
I drove my Tesla M3 LR-RWD from Creston to Osoyoos and back with no problems, even stopped at Christina Lake overnight both ways with sentry on - I was a little concerned getting to the top of the mountain east of Osoyoos with only 25 km showing but then coasting/regenerating down into Osoyoos gained 25 km so I had 50 km left when I got to the Supercharger in Osoyoos :)

Did you try contacting Fortis like Eco-Logical did. Maybe more pressure from the local customers would help
I drove my 2018 Tesla M3 LR-RWD from Creston to Osoyoos and back stopping overnight in Christina Lake with sentry on - no problems but was watching the range indicator closely going up the mountain east of Osoyoos - had only 25 km showing at the top but gained 25 km going down with 50 km remaining by the time I got to Osoyoos Supercharger. Similar thing going east over the Kootenay Pass west of Creston but I had confidence in the regen braking going down the mountain to the Creston Supercharger and wasn't disappointed !!!

Reactions: bolero and IdaX

Tesla owners can use the info below to lobby the Canadian gov't to allow per kWh billing at Superchargers :) eco-Logical​

________________________________________________________________________________

TO: Measurement Canada​

Electric vehicle charging stations - per kWh billing​

Electric vehicle charging stations - Measurement Canada

The following shows details of my August 2022 trip along highway 3 in Alberta & BC stopping at Tesla fast DC 'Superchargers' ten times along the way.

My Tesla Model 3 has about 75 kWh capacity but I rarely charge it to 100% since the CHARGING RATE tapers off dramatically after reaching about 30% SOC (State Of Charge) typically 250 kW from 0% to 30% SOC then less than 50 kW above 80% SOC - that's FIVE TIMES LESS THAN THE STARTING CHARGING RATE !!!

Tesla attempts to compensate it's 'TIME-BASED BILLING' with 'TIERS' where the $/minute varies by the kiloWatt charging rate, up to four different 'Tiers' within the same charging session as shown in the attached invoices from Tesla.
2022-08-04 ~ 2022-08-22 - $99.28.JPG

I attached a summary listing of the invoices and an Excel spreadsheet JPG showing a one-page view of the ten charging sessions.

I know approximately how many kWh were added to my Tesla Model 3 battery in each charging session (from the start to end SOC % display on the dash) but despite that knowledge it's extremely difficult to figure out the $/kWh for each charging session, which contradicts Measurement Canada's statement on the web page:

"Allowing billing for an EV charge based on the amount of electricity consumed during a charge (e.g. by kilo-watt hour or kWh) without any technical standards would put consumers and businesses at increased risk of loss due to inaccurate measurement or incorrectly functioning measuring devices."

I suggest that 'PER MINUTE BILLING' on fast DC charging IS INFLICTING LOSS ON BUSINESSES AND CONSUMERS - exactly the opposite of Measurement Canada's claim !!!

PLEASE FIX THIS --- NOW !!!

ALLOW FAST DC EV CHARGING STATIONS TO BILL BY $/kWh --- NOW !!!

$/kWh is a hell of a lot more accurate than $/minute for any level 3 charging station!

eco-Logical
_________________________________________________________________________________

Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2022 2:05 PM
To: eco-Logical
Cc:
Gu, Lei (ISED/ISDE)
Subject: IC Web Enquiry - What are we doing to allow kilowatt-hour billing?

Dear eco-Logical.

Thank you for your email of August 28, 2022, concerning the introduction of requirements to allow Level 3 electric vehicle (EV) charging stations to charge based on the amount of energy consumed during a charge (i.e. by kWh).

The Electricity and Gas Inspection Act sets out requirements for measuring devices that sell electricity on the basis of measurement (e.g. accuracy performance standards). These requirements ensure consumers and businesses receive accurate and reliable measurement by establishing minimum measurement standards to which all vendors selling electricity must comply.

We have been consulting with Canadians on our strategy to allow accurate energy measurement at commercial EV charging stations. Our focus has been on the development of requirements and programs to allow Level 1 and Level 2 AC EV charging devices to bill for a charge based on kWh as these types of chargers represent 80% of the EV chargers currently installed in Canada. A program to allow Level 1 and Level 2 AC EV charging devices currently in use in the marketplace to bill by the amount of electricity consumed during an EV charge will be introduced this fall.

We are also working on a program to allow Level 3+ DC EV chargers already in use in the marketplace to bill by kWh. Consultations on the proposed program requirements will begin in the fall of 2022 and, before the end of 2022, we expect to introduce a temporary dispensation program allowing EV charging station device owners and operators of Level 3+ DC EV chargers already in use in the marketplace to bill customers based on kWh consumed rather than time. This program will be informed by the results of the fall consultations. The approach will also allow us to continue working simultaneously with international competent authorities to develop technical regulations for level 3+ fast chargers.

If you have any questions or would like additional information, please do not hesitate to contact Leo Gu, Manager, Clean Energy, Measurement Canada at [email protected] or 236-668-9418.

Sincerely,

Coleen M. Burningham
(she/her) Director, Marketing and Business Operations, Measurement Canada
Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada / Government of Canada
[email protected] / Tel: 613-952-2631 / TTY: 1-866-694-8389
(elle) Directrice, Marketing et opérations des affaires, Mesures Canada
Innovation, Sciences et Développement économique Canada / Gouvernement du Canada
[email protected] / Tél: 613-952-2631 / ATS: 1-866-694-8389

-----Original Message-----

Sent: August 28, 2022, 1:04 PM
To: MC Info / Info MC (IC) <[email protected]>
Subject: IC Web Enquiry - What are we doing to allow kilowatt-hour billing?

Topic: Measurement standards

Coleen M. Burningham

(she/her) Director, Marketing and Business Operations, Measurement Canada
Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada / Government of Canada
[email protected] / Tel: 613-952-2631 / TTY: 1-866-694-8389

Hello Coleen,

Thank you for the info regarding “per kWh billing” in Canada.

I’m glad that “per kWh billing” will be allowed for “Level 1 and Level 2 AC EV charging devices … this fall“ and “Level 3+ DC EV chargers already in use … before the end of 2022”.

However, I believe your “focus” is backwards! Here’s why:
Audi charging curve.jpg

The Audi e-tron charging chart above shows a flat charging curve” below 50 kW and a tapered charging curve” above 50 kW.
Tesla Model 3 charging curve.png

The Tesla Model 3 charging chart above shows a highly tapered charging curve” from 250 to < 50 kW where the charge rate at 90% SOC is < one-fifth the charge rate at 10% SOC – State Of Charge.

The extreme variation in charge rates for Level 3+ DC EV chargers makes it “impossible” to “accurately” measure the energy (kWh) put into the battery using “per minute” billing.

The lack of variation in charge rates for Level 1 & 2 AC EV chargers makes it “easy” to “accurately” measure the energy (kWh) put into the battery using “per minute” billing.

That’s why the “focus” must be put on Level 3+ DC EV chargers to allow “per kWh” billing.

I implore ‘Measurement Canada’ to allow “per kWh” billing for Level 3+ DC EV chargers – immediately – especially for Tesla Superchargers !!!

All Tesla EVs have a ‘supercomputer’ that can accurately measure and accumulate the kWhkiloWatt-hours – of energy put into battery by multiplying the VOLTS x AMPS every ‘millisecond’ or likely even every ‘microsecond’.

I’m a retired electrical engineer and I ‘know’ that Tesla’s per kWh metering is a hell of a lot more accurate than any “per minute” metering/billing could possibly be !!!

Regards,

eco-Logical

>We're here to help
>If you have questions about electric vehicle charging, or electric charging stations, please contact [email protected]

I emailed this Fortis email asking for an update, no response yet. Not sure if "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" or what. If anyone else is thinking about emailing... Nuthin' much happening currently is this only thing we know for sure.

I just got an update from Fortis BC ... it's in Tesla's hands now !!!
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Wednesday, September 7, 2022 4:39 PM
Subject: RE: - Tesla Supercharger - Castlegar - construction delay - meter?

Hi eco-Logical,

We’ve been working with Tesla to get the equipment ready as soon as possible for their Superchargers. Please understand that we’re obligated to have a final operating agreement in place before we can install a meter and energize any of our customers’ projects. We’ll be able to do this at Tesla’s Supercharger site as soon as they have signed off on the agreement which is with their team for review. We suggest reaching out to Tesla to confirm timing,

We’re aware this is a highly anticipated project. In case it’s of interest, last year we added a 100 kW charger at 1995 6 Ave. near the Tesla site with both SAE Combo 1 and CHAdeMO connectors. We hope that’s providing some benefit to you and other members of the local Tesla community in the meantime.

Thanks for reaching out,

Draydan

I just got an update from Fortis BC ... it's in Tesla's hands now !!!
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Wednesday, September 7, 2022 4:39 PM
Subject: RE: - Tesla Supercharger - Castlegar - construction delay - meter?

Hi eco-Logical,

We’ve been working with Tesla to get the equipment ready as soon as possible for their Superchargers. Please understand that we’re obligated to have a final operating agreement in place before we can install a meter and energize any of our customers’ projects. We’ll be able to do this at Tesla’s Supercharger site as soon as they have signed off on the agreement which is with their team for review. We suggest reaching out to Tesla to confirm timing,

We’re aware this is a highly anticipated project. In case it’s of interest, last year we added a 100 kW charger at 1995 6 Ave. near the Tesla site with both SAE Combo 1 and CHAdeMO connectors. We hope that’s providing some benefit to you and other members of the local Tesla community in the meantime.

Thanks for reaching out,

Draydan
I received the exact same response when I asked Fortis :)

Reactions: Nogassssssss
As I understand it, Measurement Canada has agreed to move to kWh billing.
As per:
Yes dgibbons, you're correct.

In the email I got from Measurement Canada - Coleen M. Burningham - says "Level 1&2 AC by FALL 2022" & "Level 3+ DC by END 2022".

My reply was to point out that "$/kWh billing" is much more important for "Level 3+ DC" than "Level 1&2 AC".

I'm trying to convince Measurement Canada to allow $/kWh billing for "Level 3+ DC by FALL 2022".

Lobbying efforts from other Tesla drivers would be appreciated.

Heard it from a friend who, heard it from a friend, who works at Fortis that said everything is a go from Fortis and Tesla, it just needs ‘final approval’ from City councillors for them to turn it on. Take it with a grain of salt, but perhaps the delay is not caused by Fortis anymore?