Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Cedar City, UT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This one just popped up on Tesla's feed - not on the map yet, but the pin has changed to red so shouldn't be far away...

Technically it's a bit of the city itself, on the interstate.

upload_2020-12-24_0-26-42.png

Also unusual that it's listed as a 150 kW. Not many new V2 sites in the USA!

I've just added this to supercharge.info.

Attachments

• upload_2020-12-24_0-26-16.png
    upload_2020-12-24_0-26-16.png
    156.7 KB · Views: 204
This one just popped up on Tesla's feed - not on the map yet, but the pin has changed to red so shouldn't be far away...

Technically it's a bit of the city itself, on the interstate.

View attachment 620402

Also unusual that it's listed as a 150 kW. Not many new V2 sites in the USA!

I've just added this to supercharge.info.
@Chuq Can you update supercharge.info to point to this thread? It's not going to the correct location currently.

Wow, a 4-stall V2 site! Just when you thought Tesla had lost their supercharger installation creativity. :) I wonder if this choice was prompted by power limitations at the site...

(Although Tesla screws up many of their Find Us listings initially, the Travel Plaza website seems to confirm V2, listing "120 kW" power)

Reactions: Phlier
Wow, a 4-stall V2 site! Just when you thought Tesla had lost their supercharger installation creativity. :) I wonder if this choice was prompted by power limitations at the site...

(Although Tesla screws up many of their Find Us listings initially, the Travel Plaza website seems to confirm V2, listing "120 kW" power)
The text for Supercharging on the CBTP website doesn't even mention the Model Y so it's just old v2 information from several years ago (recently added to their new website). Some locations are still installing v2 Superchargers since they've been planned for years and changing the plans and permits would delay installation even more. It's possible this location will be getting v3 Superchargers eventually. Whatever it turns out to be, any Supercharger is better than no Supercharger.

Thanks to @MarcoRP and his detective work, we can see they have at least some of the slower "urban" Superchargers. While they aren't nearly as fast as v3, they are much faster than the Tesla destination chargers we used when we stayed in Cedar City last year.

Google had a few more images:
Screenshot 2020-12-23 082458.png
Screenshot 2020-12-23 082439.png

Based on those images, maybe the supercharge.info entry should be changed to indicate they aren't really 150 kW, @MarcoRP ?

The text for Supercharging on the CBTP website doesn't even mention the Model Y so it's just old v2 information from several years ago (recently added to their new website). Some locations are still installing v2 Superchargers since they've been planned for years and changing the plans and permits would delay installation even more. It's possible this location will be getting v3 Superchargers eventually. Whatever it turns out to be, any Supercharger is better than no Supercharger.

It sure is better than no Supercharger!

It eliminates two 100+ gaps by splitting a 105.1 mile gap from St George, UT to Beaver, UT and a 122.1 mile gap for the I-15/I-70 connection from St George, UT to Richfield, UT, plus it provides an option to avoid St George, UT itself, which has been somewhat troublesome.

So is this actually 72kW, or has Tesla tweaked the design of these temporary pallets such that a single stall can get full power (144kW?)
While the cabinets that are mounted on the pallets can output up to 150 kW, the 'stalls' that are used to send the power to the car are limited to 72 kW each.

We've seen temporary v2 Superchargers (non-urban) in Colorado and elsewhere in the past but they were just regular v2 Superchargers on pallets, not the urban Superchargers.

Reactions: Phlier
So is this actually 72kW, or has Tesla tweaked the design of these temporary pallets such that a single stall can get full power (144kW?)
It could actually be less than 72kW. We've seen 2 flavors of output for these temporary pallets with urban supercharger. Most of them have been limited to 50kW. But on installs that are a little more permanent we've seen them provide up to the full 72kW that urban superchargers are capable of. Because the power feed is being run out to the pallets in conduit, this one looks like the latter to me so I'd expect 72kW there. But don't be surprised if it's only 50.

Whatever it turns out to be, any Supercharger is better than no Supercharger.
Exactly. I've been hoping for a little temporary two-stall pallet thing on the two main routes in eastern Oregon for the last few years, but it still hasn't happened, and we're still waiting on Superchargers there.

Someone posted a picture in the Burns, OR thread of three cars at once using the 14-50, J1772, and CHAdeMO that are behind the chamber of commerce building! That route sorely needs to get that Supercharger.

Reactions: CO_MY
It sure is better than no Supercharger!

It eliminates two 100+ gaps by splitting a 105.1 mile gap from St George, UT to Beaver, UT and a 122.1 mile gap for the I-15/I-70 connection from St George, UT to Richfield, UT, plus it provides an option to avoid St George, UT itself, which has been somewhat troublesome.

Actually wasn't a gap to Richfield, UT, oops, but anyway ...

Cedar City, UT

Along Primary Interstates: I-15
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): None
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-15

To: Beaver, UT - 58.4 miles
Diversion: 0.8 miles
To: Nephi, UT - 172.7 miles

To: Richfield, UT (I-15, I-70) - 1221. miles

Splits the 105 mile gaps from St. George, UT to Beaver, UT.

Particularly useful, because that gap is between two other large gaps:
121.5 miles from Las Vegas, NV to St. George, UT
114.7 miles from Beaver, UT to Nephi, UT.
Cedar City, UT will help more Tesla owners make a natural stop at relatively low state of charge that will allow them to charge faster.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier and PStewart
I posted this and immediately went to bed! Has been some good additional details found - thanks for all the additional info, photos, etc.

I haven't paid attention to photos of internal workings of the urban supercharger stall units vs full size units, but it's entirely feasible that they have identical charging capabilities and the split of the 150 kW supply is just a configuration change on the cabinet itself. The 72 kW speed may just be to allow all stalls to get a consistent speed across the majority of the charging profile. So *if* that is the case (I'm just speculating) these could be entirely capable of regular V2 speeds.

Reactions: Phlier and CO_MY