Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Centerville, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
wow it really does have the look of a temporary or rushed install doesn't it?
But you're not likely to "temporarily" setup enough power to drive four (or more) 250kw superchargers.

A single V3 cabinet has a max AC grid input of 350 kVA (roughly 1:1 with kW). Not sure what size those transformers are on the poll, but 500 kVA would leave room for expansion of another cabinet and 4 more stalls.

Last edited:
Reactions: ElectricIAC
We need a way to advise Tesla Energy of these issues.
That should be something they can easily remotely monitor. Yes, I know we are all skeptical of the fact that they actually do monitor it, but I suspect for cases where the Supercharger is not outputting as much power as the car is requesting, they already know about it.

My bigger concern is more where you have something that is not able to be remotely monitored, like a broken connector, or a pedestal that has been backed into, or even a simple communication issue that is rendering a particular stall completely inoperable and unable to communicate its status correctly (although not being reachable alone should trigger a problem).

My biggest wish is that Tesla would provide (on the car's screen perhaps) a general status for the Supercharger site. If there are known problems with particular stalls and reduced power, I would like to see it. I would also like to see how much power the car is requesting vs. how much is being delivered. There are many different things that could cause a lower than expected charge rate, and many have to do with the car, not the Supercharger (state of charge, battery temp, etc.) and particularly as more newbies get their vehicles and expect 250kW charging right up to 100% SOC it would be helpful to have some kind of display in the car that "educated" them that the limitation is being caused by the car, not the Supercharger. This would also help with intermittent issues: I've experienced Supercharger slowdowns that were likely caused by overheating in the cabinet shutting down one or more of the AC/DC or DC/DC converters, that only manifested themselves after a few minutes of charging. Unfortunately the last time this happened I confirmed the charging rate ramped up adequately and then went inside to the store/restaurant and hadn't realized until I came back out 15 minutes later that I had been getting slow charging for most of the session!

• Informative
Reactions: PStewart and Darmie
Wow. Family owns property in that town and we just 2 weeks ago put in a HPWC for when we visit. Should've saved the money.
Yeah, but the HPWC is a better choice. It pretty much fills the car overnight without you needing to be there in the car. Think about the time to go to the SpC, charge (while you wait), then head back.
We use one of the nearby SpC 's (3 locations) when our HPWC fails (like we forget to plug in or something happens - power disrupt - and we need to get somewhere now).

Looks like everything is precast and run in conduit above ground. If they keep it up we won’t know when anything is coming because there won’t be any dig permits to look up.
This site is a bit of an anomaly. At all the other locations that they've installed the prefab supercharger sets, the conduit from the transformer has still been buried in dug trenches. I'm assuming that they didn't do that here just to save time so that they could have something open before July 4th. According to @Darmie up-thread, the site employees said that there were going to be more stalls. I won't be surprised if Tesla comes back and buries the conduit when they deliver and hook up the additional prefab set(s).

Reactions: Twiglett and byeLT4
Tesla should consider dropping another 4 chargers soon. It is getting quite busy. This location is not ideal for the disabled. The only way to get to the gas station is by a staircase with a considerable walk. I guess the chargers are less likely to get iced.

Attachments

• IMG_2316.jpg
    IMG_2316.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 118
Perhaps but it seems they’re already having either power delivery or configuration issues. Hopefully they sort that out before they plop another 4.

We thought about using this charger on our way back from SA (via Giddings) rather than deal with the SC gap between there and Waco on the 130 (at least until Giga SC’s open to public)

So digging is the reason for the Permit? So glad to see Tesla re inventing themselves.
Correct, 811 dig requests are public, just search for ones with Tesla’s name in it. But if Tesla isn’t burying the cables there’s no need to request a dig permit. The closest you’ll get is the interconnect permit needed to hook up the electric meter but those aren’t a simple 30 second statewide search.

Great news on this one! Looks to be going to 12 (or 16) stalls soon! TDLR filing for 12 stalls in centerville. Not sure if that's additional to the existing 4 or 12 total. I don't think there was a TDLR filing for this before.

I love the fact that there's a link on the page to link back to the page that you are looking at. This is good news. 4 was a good start but 12 is great. it's a perfect stop but they should figure out a way inside from that back parking lot. A bit challenging around the side along with all the traffic getting in and out.