Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Centralia, WA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup. tesla is going to have to keep adding more if they want to stay ahead of TMC

I did some calling today to the utilities and sub-contractors and found some new info regarding the the NW superchargers. The Centralia supercharger project was originally scheduled to start this Tuesday (5/28), however this has been delayed due to issues of coordination between Tesla and the local electric utility. The Burlington superchargers were to be installed after the Centralia chargers were installed but due to the delay, will likely start before then. The installation timetable is about one month from start to finish. However, I do not know how the Skagit river bridge collapse will affect the Burlington installation, but I was told that they are confident that both projects should be finished by the end of July. No other superchargers were on the to do list in Washington. I do not know if Ellensberg is being considered at this time. However, good news for Oregon drivers: Woodburn was on the to do list for the sub-contractor. But no concrete timetables were given for the start and completion of the Woodburn superchargers.

Have a great Memorial holiday weekend everyone and please be safe out there!

Great info Odenator! Thanks for sharing. I do more East to West traveling than I do North to South so I hope that Ellensburg and beyond gets some attention soon. It seems they are shooting for North to South on the coasts before going across.

My recollection of our discussions on this topic last year was that Tesla was going to focus on building a giant "H" with dense lines up each coast and a route from west to east (probably LA-NY). I think thats still the basic plan, but there will probably also be a few chargers in high population corridors in the upper mid-west and in Texas.

Building the basic "H" would complete the next phase, and the third phase would add north-south stringers and a northern and southern east-west corridor, all of which should be complete sometime in the second half of 2014 most likely. Then the final build-out would fill in the map in the run up to the introduction of Gen III in 2016-2017.

The Burlington, WA location is NOT within walking distance of the outlet mall, rather several miles North.

There are a few spots for burgers, etc. and a hotel in the same parking lot.

The collapsed I-5 bridge is N of the detours suggested for both Northbound and Southbound traffic.

Starting to sound as if the SC installation could be operational before missing 160' span on the I-5 bridge can be replaced.

The Burlington, WA location is NOT within walking distance of the outlet mall, rather several miles North.

There are a few spots for burgers, etc. and a hotel in the same parking lot.

The collapsed I-5 bridge is N of the detours suggested for both Northbound and Southbound traffic.

Starting to sound as if the SC installation could be operational before missing 160' span on the I-5 bridge can be replaced.
2-1 odds Tesla construction is faster than bridge construction.

I did some calling today to the utilities and sub-contractors and found some new info regarding the the NW superchargers. The Centralia supercharger project was originally scheduled to start this Tuesday (5/28), however this has been delayed due to issues of coordination between Tesla and the local electric utility. The Burlington superchargers were to be installed after the Centralia chargers were installed but due to the delay, will likely start before then. The installation timetable is about one month from start to finish. However, I do not know how the Skagit river bridge collapse will affect the Burlington installation, but I was told that they are confident that both projects should be finished by the end of July. No other superchargers were on the to do list in Washington. I do not know if Ellensberg is being considered at this time. However, good news for Oregon drivers: Woodburn was on the to do list for the sub-contractor. But no concrete timetables were given for the start and completion of the Woodburn superchargers.

Have a great Memorial holiday weekend everyone and please be safe out there!

Did you get any idea about how many Superchargers would be installed in the first round? I see that they have a permit for 10 but I was wondering if they were going to start with 4 and add on or something like that.

Did you get any idea about how many Superchargers would be installed in the first round? I see that they have a permit for 10 but I was wondering if they were going to start with 4 and add on or something like that.

Permits over here are only valid for 6 months. It wouldn't really make sense to pull a permit for 10 and then to just install 4. You'd also then have to explain to the inspector why you're not completing the work as per the permit.

My recollection of our discussions on this topic last year was that Tesla was going to focus on building a giant "H" with dense lines up each coast and a route from west to east (probably LA-NY). I think thats still the basic plan, but there will probably also be a few chargers in high population corridors in the upper mid-west and in Texas.

Building the basic "H" would complete the next phase, and the third phase would add north-south stringers and a northern and southern east-west corridor, all of which should be complete sometime in the second half of 2014 most likely. Then the final build-out would fill in the map in the run up to the introduction of Gen III in 2016-2017.
I've read those discussions and watched the Supercharger roll out video as well. I guess I was hoping Ellensburg and maybe even the far Eastern part of the state fit within that plan. Not that it matters just yet anyway, (at least for me and my concerns) as I don't even have a reservation yet. Still waiting for approval from the CFO (aka my lovely wife). I'm thinking an S test drive might do the trick but if the stock keeps going up she won't have much of an argument. ;)

I've really enjoyed reading everyone's contributions here. Thanks!

Cheers!

I've read those discussions and watched the Supercharger roll out video as well. I guess I was hoping Ellensburg and maybe even the far Eastern part of the state fit within that plan. Not that it matters just yet anyway, (at least for me and my concerns) as I don't even have a reservation yet. Still waiting for approval from the CFO (aka my lovely wife). I'm thinking an S test drive might do the trick but if the stock keeps going up she won't have much of an argument. ;)

I've really enjoyed reading everyone's contributions here. Thanks!

Cheers!

I've been hoping for Moses Lake (halfway between Seattle and Spokane. Also helps the Walla Walla trip. I'm also hoping the Woodburn, OR one is real since that opens up Oregon wine country.

As to encouraging approval, the test drive will do wonders. My girl friend did a test drive recently. Prior to that she thought it was some geek thing. Boys and their high tech toys kind of attitude. Afterwords she was positively gushing - acceleration was smooth and instantaneous.

I wish press releases were a real project plan because in today's Supercharger press release it says that the first two WA superchargers will be done by June 30. I am not that optimistic myself but it would sure be nice. Quote from Tesla PR below:

Triple the number of Tesla Supercharger stations by the end of next month, including additional stations in California, coverage of the northwest region from Vancouver to Seattle to Portland, Austin to Dallas in Texas, Illinois and Colorado. There will also be four additional eastern seaboard stations, expanding the density of the network to provide for more convenient stopping points.

I wish press releases were a real project plan because in today's Supercharger press release it says that the first two WA superchargers will be done by June 30. I am not that optimistic myself but it would sure be nice. Quote from Tesla PR below:

Triple the number of Tesla Supercharger stations by the end of next month, including additional stations in California, coverage of the northwest region from Vancouver to Seattle to Portland, Austin to Dallas in Texas, Illinois and Colorado. There will also be four additional eastern seaboard stations, expanding the density of the network to provide for more convenient stopping points.

Why not? Once the permit is approved, it doesn't take very long to install a supercharger.

Since the number of new stations for summer 2013 is 19, that doesn't seem too hard. I've got a lot more skepticism for the 2014 and 2015 maps as that is very, very ambitious.

The Centralia charger has a permit so it should be pretty soon. Not sure about the Burlington one. As long as Seattle City Light isn't involved, it should be pretty easy...

Since the number of new stations for summer 2013 is 19, that doesn't seem too hard. I've got a lot more skepticism for the 2014 and 2015 maps as that is very, very ambitious.

The Centralia charger has a permit so it should be pretty soon. Not sure about the Burlington one. As long as Seattle City Light isn't involved, it should be pretty easy...

The Burlington supercharger permits were not pulled because the same company is responsible for both projects and the Centralia project was to have started 2 days ago. Pulling a permit and sitting on it costs the electrical contractor money and that is the reason neither the Burlington or Woodburn permits have been pulled.

Why not? Once the permit is approved, it doesn't take very long to install a supercharger.

I was concerned about the delay that was already referred to in the original quote:

The Centralia supercharger project was originally scheduled to start this Tuesday (5/28), however this has been delayed due to issues of coordination between Tesla and the local electric utility.

This is amazing stuff. I have not tuned into Tesla news since early 2012 when I sold my Roadster. Those were painful days trying to plan any road trips outside of the circle of the 200 miles of range.
The hoops we had to jump through to get a reasonable charge speed were amazing.

I am just now catching up this week since I put my deposit down for the Model S (delivery in July). This is an entirely different EV world than it was in 2009-2010.

I am just now catching up this week since I put my deposit down for the Model S (delivery in July). This is an entirely different EV world than it was in 2009-2010.
Welcome to the forums. "Just". So I'm guessing you put down your deposit end of May or so? With delivery in July, I'm guessing you opted for 85 non-perf?

Welcome to the forums. "Just". So I'm guessing you put down your deposit end of May or so? With delivery in July, I'm guessing you opted for 85 non-perf?

Yes, 85 kwh non-performance version.

June 2nd deposit, June 3rd locked in options and told them to go to production with it.
They just told me that my window of delivery is July 10th to July 20th because my options are relatively common. Black, tan leather, tech package.