Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Centralia, WA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What do you mean by the public restroom? Are you talking McDonald's or is there something I don't know about?
Across the street and to the right, at the end of the strip mall with Under Armor and the kids clothing store.

Screenshot from 2017-09-13 11:54:18.png

I'm looking at the Supercharger map. For a drive from Seattle to Portland and back again, it seems like my most efficient plan would be to stop in Centralia, charge fully to 100%, then drive to Portland and back to Centralia to charge assuming I only want to use Superchargers? I don't see any better options if I don't want to drive out of my way to Woodburn or Sandy, OR just to charge.

It's a good thing Tesla is committing to adding urban SC's in 2018 because this kind of trip is really inconvenient with SC's only in between cities and away from cities.

I'm looking at the Supercharger map. For a drive from Seattle to Portland and back again, it seems like my most efficient plan would be to stop in Centralia, charge fully to 100%, then drive to Portland and back to Centralia to charge assuming I only want to use Superchargers? I don't see any better options if I don't want to drive out of my way to Woodburn or Sandy, OR just to charge.

It's a good thing Tesla is committing to adding urban SC's in 2018 because this kind of trip is really inconvenient with SC's only in between cities and away from cities.
Yes, that is the proper plan with the backup plan being a detour to Sandy or Woodburn if you burn up to much of the battery driving around Portland.

Supercharging in this corridor continues to be highly inconvenient, unacceptably so for two metro areas with such high Tesla density. I used to often drive Marysville to Olympia and back when there wasn't even a supercharger in Arlington. Now that was inconvenient!

• Helpful
Reactions: UnknownSoldier
Yes, that is the proper plan with the backup plan being a detour to Sandy or Woodburn if you burn up to much of the battery driving around Portland.

Supercharging in this corridor continues to be highly inconvenient, unacceptably so for two metro areas with such high Tesla density. I used to often drive Marysville to Olympia and back when there wasn't even a supercharger in Arlington. Now that was inconvenient!

I agree. Driving from Tacoma to Portland and back is difficult. There needs to be another super charger in or around Vancouver, WA. It looks bad on the viability of the Tesla electric vehicles when I can’t drive around Vancouver and Portland because I have to save electrons to make sure I can make it back to Centralia for my trip home. I’ve had to resort to L2 Blink chargers to add just a few miles “just in case”.

I agree. Driving from Tacoma to Portland and back is difficult. There needs to be another super charger in or around Vancouver, WA. It looks bad on the viability of the Tesla electric vehicles when I can’t drive around Vancouver and Portland because I have to save electrons to make sure I can make it back to Centralia for my trip home. I’ve had to resort to L2 Blink chargers to add just a few miles “just in case”.
This is why I bought a CHAdeMO adapter. There are several reliable, convenient, Aerovironment stations on I-5 in WA between Superchargers.

This is why I bought a CHAdeMO adapter. There are several reliable, convenient, Aerovironment stations on I-5 in WA between Superchargers.

The same for me on my trips from Portland to Seattle. With my previous MS60, I had to stop at some J1772 station for at least a few hours while visiting Seattle in order to make it back. Later on when the CHAdeMO adapter came out, I just stopped at Fife and used a Blink there for about 10 minutes. After about $3 in expensive electrons, I had enough to make it back to Centralia just fine. With my current MS75, I can do the round trip. But still need to charge very high up to give myself buffer. I'm looking forward to when they build a SC in Olympia. I can stop there going up and then Centralia going back. Plus there's only so many times I can stop and eat at McDonald's, Cousin's, or Denny's in Centralia. :)

My first drive any distance was to Tacoma and back to Clark County (just north of Portland, "I can see Oregon from my house!"). We stopped in Centralia for a charge, but I probably could have made it home if I had driven slowly. As it was we wanted lunch anyway so I dropped my SO at the restaurant, parked the car at the supercharger and the car was done before we were.

I have often thought a good location for a supercharger would be around the Clark County Fairgrounds just north of the I-5/I-205 meet, or possibly as far north as Ridgefield. Longview is a bit too close to Centralia IMO, but it's good enough. Tesla may have picked Longview because they might be thinking about putting a delivery/service center there. I told someone at Tesla that Longview has a lot of car dealerships because it has the lowest sales tax in Western Washington. That's where my SO got her Subaru in 2012. They thought that was interesting, though I don't know if it went up the corporate ladder or not.

curious if anyone has tested out if there is a charge rate (speed) difference between the original and new pedestals?
Or if the original ones were upgraded at all when the new went in? I've seen some posts on some of the other 2013ish Superchargers being upgraded to keep up with the new locations (maybe this previously happened at Centralia).

I am still a few months away from using any Supercharger, but with Portland:Seattle my most common road trip, Centralia will be where I am for most SCg I expect.