Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Champaign, IL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see that the supercharger is almost ready. North side of lot, by the movie theater. About 8 or so chargers.

What!? I was just there and should have looked. You know it's bad when you've talked to a couple of council members, others at the city, and at Meijer, and can't find out anything.

Meijer I meant in title, sorry for the typo.

- - - Updated - - -

Yup ...

I understood what you meant, my "what!?" Was out of shock. We took the wife's vehicle today but parked on the SE side of Meijers. Had no clue this was happening so soon. I will swing by tomorrow and get some pics.

Just found a picture of the Champaign Supercharger via Twitter. Man I'm excited. Thanks for the heads up SMS16. Great news for travelers using I57 and I74. Again, this isn't my pic, I found it online, but this is indeed the correct location.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 121
Just found a picture of the Champaign Supercharger via Twitter. Man I'm excited. Thanks for the heads up SMS16. Great news for travelers using I57 and I74. Again, this isn't my pic, I found it online, but this is indeed the correct location.

Awesome!!! When I decided on the 70D instead of the 85D it was mostly based on the prospect of a supercharger happening in Champaign, the one missing link for my travels. And now it is... on Prospect Ave. Haha :) Glad I won't have to drive at/below the speed limit + draft to make it from NE Indy to Springfield, or do the long redirects via Lafayette/Bloomington anymore.

Thanks for sharing the pic! Even if it's not yours. :) This makes it look completely done... can anybody local comment on what appears to be remaining, construction-wise?

Thanks for sharing the pic! Even if it's not yours. :) This makes it look completely done... can anybody local comment on what appears to be remaining, construction-wise?

No problem John. I'm going to swing by there later and get some more pics.

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome!!! When I decided on the 70D instead of the 85D it was mostly based on the prospect of a supercharger happening in Champaign, the one missing link for my travels. And now it is... on Prospect Ave. Haha :) Glad I won't have to drive at/below the speed limit + draft to make it from NE Indy to Springfield, or do the long redirects via Lafayette/Bloomington anymore.

Traveling from Mahomet to Indy in the P85 left me with range anxiety. I can't imagine Springfield, or Normal to Indy. That's pushing it for sure. I also like my climate control too much. I have a trip to South FL planned in a few weeks so this is going to be interesting to say the least.

Had a few minutes so I took a trip to Meijer to see the Superchargers. 8 stalls in all, and it looks like the only thing left is to run the giant power cables (see pics) and an inspection. Ameren Power was actually at the intersection working on power lines so I imagine it won't be much longer at all.

While taking pics, an older gentleman in a Ford pickup with a John Deere hat, looked like a farmer, asks me, "what the he_l are those!?!?" I laughed a bit and we talked for a few minutes while I explained the system out to him. Real nice guy, but that initial sentence still has me laughing.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    544.6 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Looks like perhaps the next step is to pour the transformer pad and then get the transformer installed. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable (@Cottonwood?) can confirm that.

The transformer appears to be behind those 4 other boxes behind the Supercharger? Sorry I don't know the names of them.

Not that I know anything, but this would be an excellent place:
Meijer, 2401 N Prospect Ave, Champaign, IL 61822
Nearby: Starbucks, Outback, Ruby Tuesday, Applebee's, Chilis, plus several others
Ok, I must have gotten lucky on that one. Damn, I should have bought a lottery ticket that day.

Ok, I must have gotten lucky on that one. Damn, I should have bought a lottery ticket that day.

My lucky #13 post was correct about Meijers. Meijers is being smart on this and seems to be jumping on the Superchargers when they can. It makes sense. The Meijers Champaign location is great for I57 and I74 travelers. Glad it's happening. :)

Looks like perhaps the next step is to pour the transformer pad and then get the transformer installed. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable (@Cottonwood?) can confirm that.

IANAEC, but the pictures indeed look like a trench across and the big corner space will be where the pad goes, and then there will be a run from there perpendicular, to where the metal fencing is, then will run along the road where the flags are. If someone can check out the area and follow the trenching to and along the road (if that's the case) it might be clearer whether there would be any other work to do, like running conduit across the road.

So, while the Supercharger area itself appears to be done, it looks, unfortunately, like the utility side will take a while.

IANAEC, but the pictures indeed look like a trench across and the big corner space will be where the pad goes, and then there will be a run from there perpendicular, to where the metal fencing is, then will run along the road where the flags are. If someone can check out the area and follow the trenching to and along the road (if that's the case) it might be clearer whether there would be any other work to do, like running conduit across the road.

So, while the Supercharger area itself appears to be done, it looks, unfortunately, like the utility side will take a while.

it appears that Ameren was running the electrical to the intersection, and possibly north down Prospect Ave towards Interstate Dr. There were Ameren trucks at Interstate Dr and at the Meijers intersection.

- - - Updated - - -

I will check periodically on the progress as well. It would be nice to learn an opening date so we can arrange a get together.