Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Channelview, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After finding this thread, I have filled, as several of you have, the "Influential Citizen" form to Tesla.
Thanks! That's the purpose of the thread, well one of them.
I have been continuing recon lunch runs to the area every couple of weeks and as I search permits, pull up real estate records and talk to property-owners, I feel more and more Influential!
This month I have even started to think about Taking It To The Next Level: actually bidding to purchase one of the little mini-parcels pictured upthread, to lease to Tesla. But the mortgage would have to be no higher than Tesla lease amount (I have heard $9000 annually) and, also plus, I can't shake the feeling that TM is already setting one up.

Tangential: No stealth development detected in Rosenberg this week. No permits in Baytown or down in Fort Bend County. Will set up watchful contacts in Victoria.

After finding this thread, I have filled, as several of you have, the "Influential Citizen" form to Tesla. I took a post Christmas round-trip from San Antonio to Baton Rouge in our MS(85). Cold weather, headwinds and traffic mandated recharge in the Huston Galleria. That difficult to get to, embarassingly poorly equipped and very slow charging garage corner is absolutely inadequate as an I-10 recharge facility. It reflects very poorly on an otherwise exemplary Tesla operation. Given that the 2016 map doesn't indicate any relief, I think all of us should try to periodically voice our concerns, so we're not forgotten. The 'Texas island' remains as a practical reality. XGAS
Well done. Another thing us peons might do is periodically pester er... call up SpringHill Suites in Baytown (281) 421-1200 and mention that it would really be great if they had a Tesla charging station in their parking lot.

Well done. Another thing us peons might do is periodically pester er... call up SpringHill Suites in Baytown (281) 421-1200 and mention that it would really be great if they had a Tesla charging station in their parking lot.
...And Harrods Realty!
(Sent to SuperCharger Team)I was “scouting” possible locations for a Supercharger midway between Lake Charles LA and Columbus, TX.
I saw an International House of Pancakes was being demolished on a quarter-acre lot at the below address and think it is worth looking at for the following reasons:
• Very short distance from I-10 with easy exit and re-entry in both directions
• Also serves Hwy 146 which goes to the Houston Cruise Terminal
• Also serves “Grand Parkway” 99 which will encompass the greater Houston area
• Is ~99 miles from Columbus Supercharger and ~102 miles from Lake Charles Supercharger
• Directly adjacent to a 24-hour Gas/Convenience Store, Motel 6, and 24-hour Waffle House restaurant
• Recently cleared land with high-voltage line pole on property

Address: 8911 1/2 Highway 146 North, Mont Belvieu, TX 77523
Property Class: Commercial
Lot Size: .26
Owner: Harrods Realty Inc.
Houston, TX 77215-1207
(713) 779-9907

I did drive-by sleuthing along I-10 today, in the areas that aren't uncomfortably industrial, or too rich in Bail Bonds options. Started at the 59 connection and on out east almost to 99.
Didn't see any survey-flags or other indicators at the Springhill Suites, but tell you what, they take the prize for most parking spaces and nearby 24/7 food options. I wouldn't be disappointed if it were built there. Checked other hotels there on Garth Rd, and then stalked San Jacinto Mall which is diagonal to SH Suites' corner.
West of that (closer to Houston) I poked around NorthShore aka Market Street or Uvalde. Lots of places that accompany other SCs, like Sonic or Carl's Jr or the various Inns.
The empty half-address (former IHOP) out east on 146 is still empty, and the Wal-Mart plex across the freeway is getting new construction but nothing looks planned for charging spots.
I didn't go by Buc-Ees but wouldn't that be pretty cool in terms of restrooms, parking, road trip logistics and no-commitment food and beverage?
Anyone think it could be any further west or east of this range? I know Winnie has been mentioned. The halfway point, you'll notice, is the 146 intersection...
All I know for certain is it won't be at a tattoo parlor, creepy boarded warehouse or heavy crane parts supply, and that excludes 90% of the I-10 frontage within 15 miles of that map pin :) but allows some darn good site candidates.

Channelview, TX

Interstates: I-10
US Nubmered Highways (<= 5mi): none

To: Lake Charles, TX - 128 miles
Diversion: 2.8 miles
To: Baton Rouge, LA - 256 miles

To: Waco, TX (I-10, I-610, US-290, TX-6, US-190 - 196 miles
To: Shreveport, LA (I-10, TX-8, I-69, US-59, US-259, TX-315, US-79, I-20 - 243 miles

Looks like a nice "bronze spike" along I-10, plus reducing diversion for those traveling between Southern Texas and points East on I-10.

Also, College Station, TX and Lufkin, TX both look like candidates for hole-filling when Tesla gets bored of the Interstates.

• Informative
Reactions: benjiejr
I wonder if they'll add another final SuperCharger South of the loop on I-45 towards Galveston.
That would certainly be useful, especially since there aren't many options for destination charging in Galveston. I think it will happen eventually, just not sure how the timing and prioritization will work out.

I'm very happy to see the Baytown location. I'll be road tripping from San Antonio to Florida in a few weeks and I'll almost certainly use the Baytown Supercharger.

Maybe the name of this thread should be changed to "Channelview TX" to more accurately reflect the actual location of this supercharger. The location definitely favors westbound traffic over eastbound. Westbound approach will involve exiting a mile before the location with a fairly immediate re-entry onto I-10 upon continuance, but the eastbound visit will involve a three-mile total detour from exit to return to I-10.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Maybe the name of this thread should be changed to "Channelview TX" to more accurately reflect the actual location of this supercharger. The location definitely favors westbound traffic over eastbound. Westbound approach will involve exiting a mile before the location with a fairly immediate re-entry onto I-10 upon continuance, but the eastbound visit will involve a three-mile total detour from exit to return to I-10.

I'm not familiar with the area, but this is good to know. Yet it's gotta be better than the detour I used to have to take to north Houston!

I'm not familiar with the area, but this is good to know. Yet it's gotta be better than the detour I used to have to take to north Houston!

For eastbound traffic, the exit and approach to the SpC isn't too bad, it's just that, once you're done charging, it's a long drive back west down the access road before you hit a street that runs under I-10 to get you back onto the eastbound side. It's in a Holiday Inn parking lot that's pretty much an island, with no other access than the westbound feeder road.

• Informative
For eastbound traffic, the exit and approach to the SpC isn't too bad, it's just that, once you're done charging, it's a long drive back west down the access road before you hit a street that runs under I-10 to get you back onto the eastbound side. It's in a Holiday Inn parking lot that's pretty much an island, with no other access than the westbound feeder road.
Yes it does add 1.9 miles for the eastbound folks post-charge but that's not too bad. Just be sure to put on that extra 0.7 KwH when charging. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Agreed, and reported to mods to change.
Gonna go look...