Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Chapel Hill, NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Beware this report is really just saying that when driving past the location, they saw some cars parked at the stalls. No confirmation that the cars were actually charging. If someone happened to see @vanjwilson trying out the station yesterday they might have reported the same thing, even though we know from van's report that it wasn't working yet.
I agree. we need some field reporting from some members in the area. It's a bit too far of a drive for me to go check out in my spare time.

Reactions: nogajim
Yup chapel hill and Orange County are experts at Bureaucracy.
It is substantial. But a modest price to pay for not dealing with the unrestrained mess you see in Johnston County and northern Wake.
More to the point, easements and property-line stuff can be tricky in any jurisdiction, and this may have nothing to do with Chapel Hill development regs being different.
It will eventually open but I have strong feeling it’s not going to be as useful as most. That Starbucks has little parking, a tight lot and does crazy amount of business…gonna be issues.

It will eventually open but I have strong feeling it’s not going to be as useful as most. That Starbucks has little parking, a tight lot and does crazy amount of business…gonna be issues.
I have a vested interest in the Chapel Hill location, because I have a child who still has two years to go at UNC.

Currently, if we leave Charlotte with close to 90% SOC, we can make it to Chapel Hill and all the way back to Archdale before we have to charge. For various reasons, we've had to charge at Durham a few times, but it's in the wrong direction and usually has lots of traffic. Being able to charge right at the Chapel Hill exit will be great.

Reactions: advocate8
@Tomz @detdds @Zarwin @CHGolferJim @Zippy114 : Anybody feel like taking a field trip today to see if the charger is actually working? 😇
Saw a report on Facebook that it was up, but they didn't mention that they actually charged there so still not 100% confirmed. I'll run down there right now to confirm, live close by.

1652035739508.png

I have a vested interest in the Chapel Hill location, because I have a child who still has two years to go at UNC.

Currently, if we leave Charlotte with close to 90% SOC, we can make it to Chapel Hill and all the way back to Archdale before we have to charge. For various reasons, we've had to charge at Durham a few times, but it's in the wrong direction and usually has lots of traffic. Being able to charge right at the Chapel Hill exit will be great.
topping off in Mebane is potentially an option. Have had to do that a couple times myself to and from mountains. But hell, you know that I’m sure...

• Informative
Reactions: vanjwilson
I see no change. The meter cycles to various texts so I suspect no power to meter.
This site almost always has cars in these slots. I am hoping this changes once charging is available but there has to be strict signage or there will be people parking in these spaces all the time. Very busy and crowded area with tight access in and out and into parking spaces. Just not an ideal place for SCing.

• Helpful
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
topping off in Mebane is potentially an option. Have had to do that a couple times myself to and from mountains. But hell, you know that I’m sure...

We've used Mebane a couple of times, after we've burned a lot of energy driving around the Chapel Hill area.

If it's just a there-and-back trip, Mebane is too early on the return trip to get the good V3 speeds. (And there's the siren song of the Cook-Out shakes across the street, calling to you while you charge, saying "cheat on your diet.")

We've used Mebane a couple of times, after we've burned a lot of energy driving around the Chapel Hill area.

If it's just a there-and-back trip, Mebane is too early on the return trip to get the good V3 speeds. (And there's the siren song of the Cook-Out shakes across the street, calling to you while you charge, saying "cheat on your diet.")
But you know how many calories there are in Starbucks caramel macchiato? good point on the charging speed, didn’t think about that. Im usually hitting Mebane at like, 5 percent because couldn’t make self drive quite slow enough on way back from Blowing Rock or Asheville. So in and out in minutes after high-rate dose.

I see no change. The meter cycles to various texts so I suspect no power to meter.
Just so you are aware, the meter can still be cycling these various texts and still be live. This happened at the new Piedmont, SC supercharger where I was the first to charge. The meter had all those weird texts still but power was live. Not sure exactly why but it for sure can be on just as an FYI.

• Informative
Reactions: jsight

Although heading East a bit, Cary is a good option with a number of food choices.

Still nothing. In addition you have to go against traffic to park there. I am beginning to think that this will not be opened because someone will not sign off in the design of this station or there is some issue with chapel hill that will not get resolved. It’s been 5+ months now.

Still nothing. In addition you have to go against traffic to park there. I am beginning to think that this will not be opened because someone will not sign off in the design of this station or there is some issue with chapel hill that will not get resolved. It’s been 5+ months now.
I believe it’s been 4 months (beginning of Feb) since this one was “good to go” and not 5+ months but at this point that’s just semantics.

I can’t imagine Tesla would build an entire SuC and have it ready to go only to have it never open. The meter is on already also.

I believe it’s been 4 months (beginning of Feb) since this one was “good to go” and not 5+ months but at this point that’s just semantics.

I can’t imagine Tesla would build an entire SuC and have it ready to go only to have it never open. The meter is on already also.
I tend to agree, but it isn't completely unprecedented. There was a nearly complete site in Greenville SC years ago that was cancelled well after construction had started.