Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Chapel Hill, NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Chapel Hill is now proposed for a Supercharger site in Q4 2021. Let the location speculation begin!

Chapel Hill, NC | Tesla

Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 3.42.02 PM.png

Hmm, maybe they are updating the future sites list quarterly now? That would be really nice.
Yes, it looks like they just adjusted their planned superchargers. In North Carolina, Chapel Hill was added; Siler City was pushed back to Q4 2021, and Roanoke Rapids was pushed back until 2022. In neighboring states, South Boston, VA was added as a future site, as well as sites along I-95 (Walterboro, St. George) and I-85 (Fair Play) in South Carolina, and along I-40 (Pigeon Forge, Knoxville, Crossville) in Tennessee.

Yeah, many of those updates fill in much needed holes. Pigeon Forge is a huge tourist destination with really poor charging before, and the gap between Atlanta and Charlotte on I85 will be much more manageable now. I hope they keep this pace!

I guess CH reflects the density of Tesla ownership in the Triad/Triangle. There are quite a few locations on I-40/I-85 east/west. I hope this doesn’t mean that the application for construction of a massive new Sheetz location isn’t going to get approval for <1 mile off I-40 down MLK Blvd. (Hwy 86).

Would really like to see a location in the Rockingham/Laurinburg area. There is a huge solar farm at the former Rockingham Raceway that could power a Supercharger, and plug a hole in the network that is limited so far to major interstates in the Carolinas.

Last edited:
I wonder how the new Durham location (PDQ near I-40 exit 270 at US 15-501) affects likely Chapel Hill locations. I had assumed that the CH location would be along I-40, but now it seems less likely that they would put in another supercharger so close by. A few possibilities:
1. The PDQ location in Durham is actually the future Chapel Hill location (given that it's so close to the CH/Durham border), and another supercharger is planned for elsewhere in Durham (e.g. along I-85 or NC 147)
2. The PDQ location is the planned Durham location, and a more urban location is planned for Chapel Hill.
3. The PDQ location is the planned Durham location, and another interstate location is planned nearby (e.g. I-40 exit 266 at NC 86)

I wonder how the new Durham location (PDQ near I-40 exit 270 at US 15-501) affects likely Chapel Hill locations. I had assumed that the CH location would be along I-40, but now it seems less likely that they would put in another supercharger so close by. A few possibilities:
1. The PDQ location in Durham is actually the future Chapel Hill location (given that it's so close to the CH/Durham border), and another supercharger is planned for elsewhere in Durham (e.g. along I-85 or NC 147)
2. The PDQ location is the planned Durham location, and a more urban location is planned for Chapel Hill.
3. The PDQ location is the planned Durham location, and another interstate location is planned nearby (e.g. I-40 exit 266 at NC 86)
I’m hoping the PDQ location is the “CH” supercharger. I would hate for them to put another Supercharger at literally the next exit down (266). I was hoping the Durham Supercharger would be off of 85 near 147, such as the Sheetz on Hillsborough Rd (Sheetz · 3414 Hillsborough Rd, Durham, NC 27705), or the Northgate Mall area. The only issue with the Sheetz on Hillsborough is they’re somewhat parking limited, however there’s a shopping center directly across the street with a Harris Teeter, Chick-Fil-A, and several other places that have ample parking. This area where I dropped a pin could be a good location for the stalls to go.

I’m hoping the PDQ location is the “CH” supercharger. I would hate for them to put another Supercharger at literally the next exit down (266). I was hoping the Durham Supercharger would be off of 85 near 147, such as the Sheetz on Hillsborough Rd (Sheetz · 3414 Hillsborough Rd, Durham, NC 27705), or the Northgate Mall area.
I'd agree that this seems like the most likely/logical scenario. That way both I-40 and I-85 through the Triangle are covered.

My thoughts too. I'm very curious.

While this option seems plausible, the one thing working against it is the dates on the coming soon map, which lists Durham as Q3 and CH as Q4. If PDQ is actually the CH Supercharger, then it would seem logical that there would be another Durham one that is further along than this one.

Reactions: SigNC
While this option seems plausible, the one thing working against it is the dates on the coming soon map, which lists Durham as Q3 and CH as Q4. If PDQ is actually the CH Supercharger, then it would seem logical that there would be another Durham one that is further along than this one.
Looks like you were right: the PDQ supercharger is now open and labeled as the Durham supercharger, while Chapel Hill is still listed as coming in q4 2021. Really wonder where it’ll be. Anywhere along I-40 would be really close to the Durham supercharger (4 miles away at exit 266 or 3 miles away at exit 273). Other possibilities could be an urban location downtown or perhaps along US 15-501 south of town or NC 54 west of town.

• Informative
Reactions: DavidAsheville
Looks like you were right: the PDQ supercharger is now open and labeled as the Durham supercharger, while Chapel Hill is still listed as coming in q4 2021. Really wonder where it’ll be. Anywhere along I-40 would be really close to the Durham supercharger (4 miles away at exit 266 or 3 miles away at exit 273). Other possibilities could be an urban location downtown or perhaps along US 15-501 south of town or NC 54 west of town.
Yes, very perplexing indeed! There doesn't seem to be very many logical options, does there?

Those would be good choices for future superchargers, but the tesla.com/findus map indicates that a supercharger for Chapel Hill is coming in q4. With the new Durham supercharger on US 15-501 near I-40, it's not clear where in Chapel Hill the planned supercharger will be.
True. Apparently, the planning commission types are considering a very large Sheetz along MLK Blvd just south of I-40, so that would be a possibility, but not within the 4Q timeframe, so somewhere else? As you probably know, the town lords have been notoriously anti-business/anti-traffic/anti-large retail over the years, so it’s hard to guess. Planners are keen on more dense development in the downtown areas with walking and public transport encouraged, so south of town on 15/501 may be it with the massive development coming towards Pittsboro. Otoh, the town would probably go for a large EV charging installation with multiple types of outlets to showcase it’s support for green technology (on less valuable land).

Last edited:
Those would be good choices for future superchargers, but the tesla.com/findus map indicates that a supercharger for Chapel Hill is coming in q4. With the new Durham supercharger on US 15-501 near I-40, it's not clear where in Chapel Hill the planned supercharger will be.
I really hope a second Durham Supercharger along I-85 is constructed in North Durham, somewhere near the I-85/US-70 (I believe going to be called “I-840” once the East Side Connector opens). The one in Durham now is almost in Chapel Hill (cross the bridge on 40 and you’re in Chapel Hill/Orange County) so another Chapel Hill location just seems odd.