Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Chapel Hill, NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tend to agree, but it isn't completely unprecedented. There was a nearly complete site in Greenville SC years ago that was cancelled well after construction had started.
Oh yes, the legendary Greenville SC. I did a TLDR for the thread during that debacle:

• Funny
Reactions: jsight and ChrisC
Stopped by the charger yesterday - no joy. BUT noticed that a line crew is stringing a new set of "high voltage" wires down Eubanks Road. Perhaps related? Could a supercharger create enough additional power draw to put a local service area "over the top" and require additional / bigger line service?
Yes. Absolutely. But it seems unlikely Tesla would or could even get approval to build that site up without the power being in place for it.
there is also a fair amount of development under way along that road, which until pretty recently had very little going on. Could be anything.

OK, so the town permitting department knows zero about it at that address, though there may be a project number they said that would help them check on permits...
Starbucks said they don’t know, they’re leasing the site and that the supercharger was in the purview of the property management company and they have no involvement.
The county GIS property system lists both a local owner LLC and also an investment LLC in Denver that has an interest in the property. I have calls in to both, in one case voice mail, in another case a kind woman who says she will try to get me an answer but she thinks whatever is going on is some thing between Tesla and the town.
As we know, Tesla is not a useful source of information at any time and I won’t be wasting my time with them.
But I also have a call in with senior town staff and will get at least a call back on that.
I thought this string of calls would yield an answer in 5-10 minutes, but no. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Property owner checked with a project manager who is working with various things they’re building there (apartments with own generic chargers among other things). He indicated the issue is a legal one between Tesla and OWASA regarding an easement there, and that his understanding is they are close to the finish line on hacking through all the wording of the legal agreement involved and the supercharger SHOULD be running within the next month. He said in his mind there is zero chance the thing won’t be running eventually, that the issue isn’t a deal killer.
Still, stay tuned, I have at two more inquiries in, to both the town and OWASA.

Last edited:
OK, I’m going to leave out a few things here for brevity. But the story from the authorities in Orange County (not me) is this: Tesla ran the main line into the Supercharger through an easement and over utility pipes without notifying the utility or seeking the required legal permission to use someone else’s property (easement). This is NOT a good thing. If the utility had to send crews out there to dig for some issue related to pipes they would not have known about the seriously high voltage line.
Regardless, this was discovered and turning on the connection was blocked until Tesla sought and received permission via a legal agreement with the utility.
In addition to the initial problem of not getting permission, Tesla hasn’t been speedy signing that paperwork. It reportedly got the paperwork in March, and only in early May did it notify the utility it would be signing the agreement, and as of yesterday still had not returned the paperwork signed. That signature is apparently all that is preventing the power company from turning on the supercharger.
So, bottom line, it is entirely Tesla’s fault.
So it COULD be up and running any day, but that depends on when Tesla gets the agreement signed and it sounds like it has not made that a priority.

These kinds of easement errors happen all the time. I know of a (non-Tesla) DCFC site in North Carolina that had to be redone last month because of the same thing.
Not surprising in some sense. But if I’m not with some small outfit, but rather I’m with Tesla’s supercharger expansion planning team? I don’t miss details like that. They apparently are declining to participate in the utility system that allows folks to dial one simple number before they they dig to find out what they might run into.
NOT the way to do things if you want to avoid killing people on backhoes.

And waiting, and waiting, and waiting...

Actually no big deal for me as I live only a couple of miles away, and charge at home. I would have to be desperately low on electrons at the end of a long run to have to use this Supercharger!

And waiting, and waiting, and waiting...

Actually no big deal for me as I live only a couple of miles away, and charge at home. I would have to be desperately low on electrons at the end of a long run to have to use this Supercharger!

There are media reports this morning that the adjacent drive-in theater will close at the end of July due to an expansion of the apartment/condo complex.

Chapel Hill is now showing in the app. I just checked in the car and it's not there yet, but I expect it shortly.
Screenshot_20220727-183304-549.png