Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger charging rates vs. battery level at 12 Superchargers, in AZ and CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We Supercharged our X 100D (March 2017 custom delivery) twelve times on a road trip from Arizona to California. I plotted some of the data logged by TeslaFi. The chart shows kW charge rate versus battery level in rated miles. 100% for me is about 293 rated miles. The Tesla conversion factor is 332 Wh per rated mile. Outside temperatures ranged from 58F to 85F.

Supercharger Performance pic.png

The Mountain View Supercharger was completely full the whole time, so I figure it actually did pretty well. I don't remember being paired with any other Teslas at the other Superchargers. Tejon, Gilroy, and Quartzite were slow. Indio, Rancho Cucamonga, Bakersfield, Harris Ranch, Cabazon, and Buckeye were full speed for us.

The X has 10,500 miles on it now, and has been Supercharged about 52 times. No sign of a slowing charge rate that I have noticed, though I don't have earlier data. No noticeable battery degradation either, beyond the (July?) firmware update that changed the rated miles calculation a little.

My "generic" takeaways from your chart, re the thermal mgt algo:
- receives max flow rate til ~50% charged
- begins a slow ramp-down of flow rate...
- reaching ~1/3 below max flow rate once battery is ~2/3 full
- reaching ~2/3 below max flow rate once battery is ~80% full
I expect the same pattern exists for Model S, and will presume it will be the same for Model 3 as well.

When charged to 100%, the rated distance of my MX100D is 455km/282.8mi, about 10 miles shorter than yours, and about 12 miles shorter than that in the Tesla design page(295 miles).
IMG_20171118_222831s.jpg

However, the ideal range of my MX is 568km, 3km more than the Tesla Chinese design page(which is 565km).
What is your ideal range when charge full? @animorph
IMG_20171118_223110s.jpg

The rated range of my MX is 80% of the ideal range.

I'm not sure ideal range, or even rated range, has a fixed meaning in different countries. My rated range is based on U. S. EPA requirements. I think my ideal range is based on my past usage, and can therefore vary. I don't use the ideal range, so I have no numbers for that.

I'm not sure ideal range, or even rated range, has a fixed meaning in different countries. My rated range is based on U. S. EPA requirements. I think my ideal range is based on my past usage, and can therefore vary. I don't use the ideal range, so I have no numbers for that.
It's quite true that range may different according to countries, that's why I'd like to know the 'ideal range' mentioned on page 111 of the English manual:
range.gif

Interesting - I also used the Tejon Ranch supercharger (with no adjacent chargers being used) and was charging at 51 mph. To fully charge my car was estimated at 2.5 hours! I switched after talking to another MX owner who was charging much faster and everything was ok. I don't get how the amperage are limited at sites....

I recorded several supercharging graphs of my X 100D using SMT and here is a typical one:
56e.png

I charged from 10.5% of SOC to 96%, and there are 4 or 5 stages.
1. from start to 0:02.5, power building up. The small charge power at the beginning is not due to low battery temperature, and probably to due to low SOC (internal SOC is 15%).
2. full power charge of 118kW, from 0:02 to 0:20 (SOC=46)
3. 'Pseudo' CV charge from 0:20 to 0:35
4. another 'pseudo' CV charge from 0:35 to 1:02
The DC-DC current jumps up and down several times, I guess it is related to the battery cooling, even the outside temperature is -5C.

I'm the same person as above lymex2017 but I lost my passwd.