Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Charleston, SC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a side note, a year or so ago, I did a little research into the "alternate fuel corridor" on I-26. There is zero funding beyond SC DOT money to put up the signs. The establishment of the corridor was supposed to encourage private investment in alternative fueling. No incentives of any kind were created. So it was only a few signs and lip service.

That's sad. How did you confirm this?

Thanks ZoomsansVroo. That settles it. We are heading to Charleston tomorrow for an event in Mt. Pleasant, so we will take our truck instead of the M3. I did a route plan with Abetterrouteplanner and just seems like we would be having charge anxiety the whole weekend, Even with taking Ubers while in town. Oh well, perhaps Tesla will get the planned SC done this year.

I know a guy who knows a guy ( I can’t say the name).... discussion at the Charleston Tesla club meeting was that the Charleston supercharger location is to be done this year. That friend of a friend knows where but he can’t say. How’s that for gossp? I you haven’t heard a rumor by 10am start one of your own.

I've heard that it will definitely be in boneau.

Bonneau would make less than zero sense. I’m assuming @jsight you are joking.

FWIW I have been trying to reach the Distrct Manager for Parker’s regarding a Supercharger install at one of their Charleston area locations. Figured since they have the SC in Metter they wouldn’t mind hosting one in Charleston, especially since they are planning to expand greatly in the Charleston market. The guy’s name is Jason Smith and I have left several messages but can’t get a return phone call. Will continue trying and post here if I have anything to share.

Bonneau would make less than zero sense. I’m assuming @jsight you are joking.

FWIW I have been trying to reach the Distrct Manager for Parker’s regarding a Supercharger install at one of their Charleston area locations. Figured since they have the SC in Metter they wouldn’t mind hosting one in Charleston, especially since they are planning to expand greatly in the Charleston market. The guy’s name is Jason Smith and I have left several messages but can’t get a return phone call. Will continue trying and post here if I have anything to share.

I like the general idea, but I'm not sure that any of their current locations would be ideal for this. Unless they are planning to open one closer to the interstate?

Have a question for you Charleston area owners and since I don’t do the book of face I figured I would ask it here.

Do any of you have a good electrician you would recommend for a 240 Nema plug install in the Charleston area? I’m on Daniel Island if that helps. Just looking for someone who does a good job and is reasonably priced. We just moved to town and thus don’t know anyone, would feel better about using someone a fellow Tesla owner has used and would recommend.

Thanks in advance. Stay safe and healthy.

Have a question for you Charleston area owners and since I don’t do the book of face I figured I would ask it here.

Do any of you have a good electrician you would recommend for a 240 Nema plug install in the Charleston area? I’m on Daniel Island if that helps. Just looking for someone who does a good job and is reasonably priced. We just moved to town and thus don’t know anyone, would feel better about using someone a fellow Tesla owner has used and would recommend.

In most cases, I would rather do the work myself if I could get a permit. It depends upon your situation. If your service panel is in your garage it is almost trivial to accomplish an install. But it would all depend upon how handy you are, whether you know how to make sheetrock repairs, and understand simple electric circuits. (All those are good skills to acquire if you are a homeowner and have any time).

If not, a professional is a good bet but it might be tricky to get one in the area. Home Depot, ACE, or Lowes has all the required components even if you need plastic conduit. Also one can order the parts from Amazon including the wire. Again, I have done it for as inexpensive as $50 but it can also run up to $800-$1500 for a professional that does the full job correctly with electrical, sheetrock work, and paint.

Another possibility is that you could do the "rough in" work with a certified electrician checking your work if you pull the permit and discuss the project. Someone may know an electrician that would do that for a nominal fee.

Reactions: Kacey Green

Holmes Electric did my 100 Amp HPWC

In most cases, I would rather do the work myself if I could get a permit. It depends upon your situation. If your service panel is in your garage it is almost trivial to accomplish an install. But it would all depend upon how handy you are, whether you know how to make sheetrock repairs, and understand simple electric circuits. (All those are good skills to acquire if you are a homeowner and have any time).

If not, a professional is a good bet but it might be tricky to get one in the area. Home Depot, ACE, or Lowes has all the required components even if you need plastic conduit. Also one can order the parts from Amazon including the wire. Again, I have done it for as inexpensive as $50 but it can also run up to $800-$1500 for a professional that does the full job correctly with electrical, sheetrock work, and paint.

Another possibility is that you could do the "rough in" work with a certified electrician checking your work if you pull the permit and discuss the project. Someone may know an electrician that would do that for a nominal fee.

I tend to default to hiring professionals on electrical work (or anything else that could kill me if I make a mistake). In this case, it is also not a simple job. Panel is upstairs in my townhome with a detached garage roughly 75 feet away. Will definitely need someone who knows what he’s doing. On the plus side, I have been able to get away with just trickle charging for 3 weeks since I’m working from home.

I tend to default to hiring professionals on electrical work (or anything else that could kill me if I make a mistake). In this case, it is also not a simple job. Panel is upstairs in my townhome with a detached garage roughly 75 feet away. Will definitely need someone who knows what he’s doing. On the plus side, I have been able to get away with just trickle charging for 3 weeks since I’m working from home.

Given that situation, a professional is in order. You would need a long run of wire and trenching equipment. I agree that if you don't know what you are doing, it is absolutely appropriate to hire a professional electrician. The one thing I would caution you on is that you should ensure that you are getting a certified electrician for the job.

Reactions: EnrgyNDpndnce

Yes. Robert Phillips +1 (843) 513-9425

CHARGEPOINT HOME 25 EVSE FOR SALE $195

This is the Nema version of this charging station, so it plugs into a 240 volt Nema outlet in your garage. It charges at 32 amps and thus requires a 40 amp circuit. Has the longer cord, can’t remember the exact length but I want to say 20 feet. Wifi enabled so you can track charging sessions via the Chargepoint app. Uses a J-1772 plug so you’ll need the J-plug adapter to charge a Tesla.

Bought it in August 2016 and have used it ever since without any problems. Recently moved and the wiring required to install in our detached garage was a bit tricky so I decided to get a new Tesla wall charger. The old Chargepoint still works great for someone needing a good, used charging station at a lower price point. Was $600 new, I’m asking $195.

Located in Charleston, SC. Will consider shipping if necessary but local is better.

Just a follow up to my post a while back regarding Parker’s installing a Supercharger at one of their Charleston area locations. I never could get the area manager to return my voice mails so I sent them a message thru their website with some details on the idea and why I thought this would be a good business decision for Parker’s. Within 24 hours I had a reply from a gentleman with the title “Fuel Procurement Manager” who said they had received my request and it is under consideration in Charleston and other locations as well. Could go nowhere but the reply was professional and it does appear they are at least discussing it. Will post here if I have any further communication with them.

FYI Charleston is now the largest Metro Area by population in the lower 48 that still does not have at least one Supercharger within 35 miles of the city.

FYI Charleston is now the largest Metro Area by population in the lower 48 that still does not have at least one Supercharger within 35 miles of the city.

That's an interesting statistic. I travel to Charleston from Atlanta frequently. I wish they had an SC there. Charleston is probably one of the most visited cities in South Carolina. I'm fortunate in that the friends I visit let me charge in their garage while I'm there but Charleston really needs a nice SC. They have some pretty good wall chargers on Hungry Neck Blvd near the IOP causeway but obviously this just isn't the same....