Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Charleston, SC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hopefully, we get a real Supercharger and not one of the new Local Superchargers, sometimes you're just stopping through on business, it's not like Chicago or Boston where there's already one for trips and then the locals need something too.
Since it has been on the map for a long time now, I would assume that it's the standard type supercharger.

Reactions: Kacey Green
What in the HECK is going on with this Supercharger????

Charleston, SC | Tesla

It's been "Coming Soon. Target opening by end of 2017" forever. They have less than 3 weeks left.

A) Has anyone seen other Superchargers be delayed, or do they actually hit their targets every time?

B) Is this common that an SC page never ever has an update until the site actually opens, or do they usually update the page on an ongoing basis as construction progresses?

I'm losing faith that they've even started construction, or let alone chosen a site! I even emailed the official Charleston City Planners and they had no idea this project was even happening!

What in the HECK is going on with this Supercharger????

Charleston, SC | Tesla

It's been "Coming Soon. Target opening by end of 2017" forever. They have less than 3 weeks left.

A) Has anyone seen other Superchargers be delayed, or do they actually hit their targets every time?

B) Is this common that an SC page never ever has an update until the site actually opens, or do they usually update the page on an ongoing basis as construction progresses?

I'm losing faith that they've even started construction, or let alone chosen a site! I even emailed the official Charleston City Planners and they had no idea this project was even happening!
Unfortunately, it is quite common that Superchargers are delayed (sometimes indefinitely). The official Tesla page that you linked probably won't be updated until the actual opening date. A better site to watch is supercharge.info - that shows permitting and construction info. There are many locations around the country that are tagged with "target opening by end of 2017" currently - the key word there is "target".

Unfortunately, it is quite common that Superchargers are delayed (sometimes indefinitely). The official Tesla page that you linked probably won't be updated until the actual opening date. A better site to watch is supercharge.info - that shows permitting and construction info. There are many locations around the country that are tagged with "target opening by end of 2017" currently - the key word there is "target".

Awwww. Boo. I really hope it doesn't get delayed.

Do you know of any other SC pages that have a target date that has already passed and the SC page is still outdated?

Unfortunately supercharge.info doesn't have any information about this SC at all. Not looking good for "end of 2017" is it?

Awwww. Boo. I really hope it doesn't get delayed.

Do you know of any other SC pages that have a target date that has already passed and the SC page is still outdated?

Unfortunately supercharge.info doesn't have any information about this SC at all. Not looking good for "end of 2017" is it?
if history is any indication, the superchargers that currently are listed as "by end of 2017" will be changed to "by end of 2018" in a few weeks. That's just how Tesla works. Supercharge.info is pretty good about showing locations that are actually in progress. Occasionally a new location will pop up that hasn't been discovered in permitting or construction phase (e.g., Columbia, SC).

if history is any indication, the superchargers that currently are listed as "by end of 2017" will be changed to "by end of 2018" in a few weeks. That's just how Tesla works. Supercharge.info is pretty good about showing locations that are actually in progress. Occasionally a new location will pop up that hasn't been discovered in permitting or construction phase (e.g., Columbia, SC).

Aww. Damn it.

It's not really a big deal. Look at it as an excuse to take a short road trip in your Tesla, and head up to Santee and charge all the way. Then you also have a nice easy drive back home, where you'll arrive with a mostly full battery.

It's not really a big deal. Look at it as an excuse to take a short road trip in your Tesla, and head up to Santee and charge all the way. Then you also have a nice easy drive back home, where you'll arrive with a mostly full battery.

Hah yeah I wish it were like that, but I live about 60 miles from Santee. I'm not going there to charge. I cross the proposed Charleston Supercharger on the way to visit family, as well as going for concerts, dinner, etc, so having a charger there would be REALLY convenient.

The general consensus is the charger won't be in Charleston proper. There was some discussion on Facebook about West Ashley (Citadel Mall) area, but that would be in Charleston City, which you've ruled out pretty thoroughly. If you have the contacts for the North Charleston City planners, I'd reach out to them. Odds are much higher the charger would be located near the I26/I526 interchange, which is in North Charleston.

The general consensus is the charger won't be in Charleston proper. There was some discussion on Facebook about West Ashley (Citadel Mall) area, but that would be in Charleston City, which you've ruled out pretty thoroughly. If you have the contacts for the North Charleston City planners, I'd reach out to them. Odds are much higher the charger would be located near the I26/I526 interchange, which is in North Charleston.

What Facebook group is that? Link?

I don't have any special contacts. I just emailed a few people on the Charleston City directory which is public. They didn't know anything at all, when I emailed a few months back. Feel free to try contacting someone again if desired. The public directory is here: Charleston, SC - Official Website

What Facebook group is that? Link?

I don't have any special contacts. I just emailed a few people on the Charleston City directory which is public. They didn't know anything at all, when I emailed a few months back. Feel free to try contacting someone again if desired. The public directory is here: Charleston, SC - Official Website

As others have mentioned, downtown Charleston is spectacularly unsuited for a Supercharger (it's like a mini Manhattan). There are also L2 chargers in all the municipal garages so destination charging isn't really a concern. The Tanger / Airport / Coliseum area makes a ton of sense.

• Love
Not showing anything isn't necessarily a bad thing in this state, Columbia and Florence both popped up relatively quickly and silently.

That's good to hear. Maybe the Charleston supercharger will pop up soon and quietly? I'm crossing my fingers...

As others have mentioned, downtown Charleston is spectacularly unsuited for a Supercharger (it's like a mini Manhattan). There are also L2 chargers in all the municipal garages so destination charging isn't really a concern. The Tanger / Airport / Coliseum area makes a ton of sense.

I agree. Downtown would be terrible. Tanger etc would be great. What do you mean by municipal garages? You mean hotels? You have to be an overnight guest to use those though.