Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Charleston, SC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Give me an idea of places to check and I'll do it. There are some new hotels going up and since most of the South Carolina locations are at hotels that makes sense

Fantastic!

As far as hotels, it seems like Tesla picks Hilton properties like Doubletree in Fayetteville and Hilton Garden Inn in Columbia.

The superchargers in Wilmington and Myrtle are in shopping centers. If it were me, I think I would check the big shopping centers close to freeways first. If they were under construction there, I think they would be in the back if they have escaped detection so far.

Good luck!

Fantastic!

As far as hotels, it seems like Tesla picks Hilton properties like Doubletree in Fayetteville and Hilton Garden Inn in Columbia.

The superchargers in Wilmington and Myrtle are in shopping centers. If it were me, I think I would check the big shopping centers close to freeways first. If they were under construction there, I think they would be in the back if they have escaped detection so far.

Good luck!
There is an area on the Tanger campus that is both a hotel and blocked off, will verify if it's a Hilton brand soon. It's the only shopping near a pair of highways. There's a shopping area not too far from 526 in Mt. Pleasant to check out too. I'm all over this town 6 days a week and so far other than the previously mentioned hotel nothing sticks out.

Also the mall near the end of 526 has seen some blocking construction. If it's not one of these places I fear it will be downtown in someplace inconvenient for travel, the Charlotte staff was very sure of King Street. King St. is a less than ideal spot due to flooding, congestion and high property purchase /leasing costs, also it would guarantee no late night bathrooms after the bars close. That or it would be yet another paid access parking garage, and unlike Savannah it's not probable there will be any grace periods.

Tanger is pretty central, so it would make some sense for it to be there. There are already 8 Chargepoint J1772 stalls there, but they are slow.

The only local government with searchable permits online is the city of Charleston and nothing related to Tesla shows up. Everything downtown plus West Ashley (Citadel Mall) would show up there. North Charleston, Mt. Pleasant and Summerville, which are all possibilities, don't have searchable permits online that I can find.

I've been hunting any permits with the word "tesla" somewhere in them. I'm not sure a manual permit search can be done that way easily. From what I recall way back when everything was paper and I worked as a courier for a law firm, you needed an address or a name to see the permit. Rooting around the file cabinets was generally discouraged.

I have been told Meeting X Broad. The only parking near there were a religious building (church, synagogue, or mosque) and a parking garage, the garage is called King and Queen St garage. A whole row of the 7th level is coned-off. Levels 8 & 9 are blocked off to vehicular traffic. I didn't try the religious lot yet.

First hour parking is $1 which isn't terrible if these are standard or new Superchargers, if these are the new slow Supercharger units this will lead to getting teir 2 fees and I didn't pay enough attention to the board to remember those at the moment.

From the city website: "On August 14, 2017 the City implemented a new permit system. Any permits applied for beginning August 14, 2017 will be entered into the new system and will not be available on this site. We are working to have this site linked to the new system by January 2018." Pretty much impossible to search for new/current permits at the moment. If I know Charleston, the website won't be fixed until next June.

I can't think of a worse place for superchargers than downtown. Hard to get to and parking is terrible/expensive. I worked at King & Beaufain for years, nothing is easy in that part of town. Meeting & Broad happens to be the exact location of the word "Charleston" on google maps. It is also where Tesla has the grey pin placed on their map. My money says that is nowhere near where the superchargers will end up. Mt. Pleasant, West Ashley or North Charleston all make a lot more sense. Cheaper and lot easier to get to from I-26 or I-526.

• Informative
Reactions: GaryW
I agree downtown is a terrible place for them. They probably would have said King & Queen garage or the street address if they were ready, hopefully this person just zoomed in really far on the pin to come up with that. The other possibility if this is right is they might use the new slower chargers here, but it's not an easy walk to much and when there's a meter running you'd want to finish charging quickly to keep the bill down.

North Charleston near 526 or 26 makes the most sense. Mt. Pleasant second mostly because of the number of owners in that area, but hopefully they make this one for traveling vs the local Superchargers.

I work in downtown Charleston and there is no place at meting and broad to put any chargers . I will check out that garage tomorrow and let you know what I find. That garage is owned by Charleston county, not the city if that helps out with a permit search. It is attached to the county courthouse that is located at meeting and broad , so that makes some sense about the meeting and broad location. I do not own a Tesla , but have been thinking about getting one . I will let you guys know what I find out!

Reactions: Kacey Green
The garage is at the corner of king and queen and is attached to the back of the county courthouse . The courthouse and garage take up 3/4 of a city block. The Hibernian hall and the mills house hotel take up the other space .
I live in Charleston (and own a Tesla). Downtown seems like an unlikely location. Many of the people who visit this area don't go downtown or don't stay downtown. Somewhere off Hwy 26 would seem a much more natural location. That means I won't get to use it locally, but that's kind of the point. Thankfully, I have electricity at home.

Ok just scouted the garage with a walk trough. I did not see any areas blocked off or under construction. There are traffic cones in some of the parking spots, but the employees at the courthouse put the cones in their spots, not really their spots , to stop others from parking . I’ll keep my eyes open . If any other possible locations pop up to check out, let me know and I will check em out!