Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger-Charleston, WV site possibly discovered?? [no]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I snapped these photos at a new hotel (Mariott Courtyard) being built in the downtown area of Charleston, WV. It is right where an SC should be, near convergence of several interstates. I have been told an SC is due this year by a local store. When scoping the property out I saw this array of 8 unusual metal utility poles in an obscure corner of the hotel's parking lot. Looks like how a supercharger may start up and they usually have 8 bays. Wanted to know if this conforms to early supercharger build, if anyone has see this before?? Very excited to have an SC in my town if so! Hotel set to open in a few months so this site should meet the 2014 map deadline if this in fact what it is.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/101384505@N02/15166337268/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/101384505@N02/15166214320/

• Informative
Reactions: David99 and MMC-
No, I don't think this is anything, unfortunately.

When I've driven by a supercharger site that's under construction (Lumberton NC, Santee SC, Greenville, SC), they tend to dig trenches first to the head of the parking space, and construct the charging stand, which look totally different than what is shown in those pictures.

I think those poles, which have detachable tops, are to keep people from driving off of the paved area. The tops can be removed to allow an authorized landscaping/service truck to pass.

Keep scouting out the area, though. Hopefully you'll be able to spot the real location.

I spoke to the manager at the Courtyard Marriott in downtown Charleston today. She told me that negotiation are continuing with Tesla. She also said that Tesla had surveyed the lot and marked off the location of the potential Supercharger location. I'm going to try to check with the building commission tomorrow to find out if a electrical permit application has been filed.

Any update. Really hoping it's up and running soon. Would definitely use it a few times a year, for sure.
Any update. Really hoping it's up and running soon. Would definitely use it a few times a year, for sure.
Rumor is that Tesla has reached an agreement with the Marriott Courtyard. I have not confirmed that rumor with the hotel. It is a good spot except for the possibility of ICEing because it is a hotel. Starbucks next door. Other dining within a minute or so walk, and a mall with 20 or so restaurants within a 5-10 minute walk.

Reactions: martinicus
If talking with that Mariott manager is something you can do on a substantive basis, you might consider doing all you can to persuade her and the firm of the wisdom of emplacing the SpCs at the furthest-away, least-convenient safe spot that its parking lot offers. That remains the single most effective way to keep charging slots from being ICEd.

Some hotels tend to let their guest park there at night. Others are super strict and have cones or somehow enforce it. I have seen both examples on my road trips. Usually at night less Teslas are coming through so if a few spots are iCEed during the night, it's not a huge issue. Many have signage that allows limited general parking.

I stayed at that courtyard one weekend when all the teams competing in the WV state high school archery competition were staying there. It was a bit of a zoo to say the least. Somehow I don't see that crowd respecting Tesla signs in the parking lot.

So, seems like the Courtyard would be better than nothing, but that the best scenario would be a Tesla only supercharger station a small bit out of town where there'd be a greater chance of availability. Charleston is such an important location for both east-west and north-south traffic, so it'd be a bummer to show up and not be able to charge.