Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Charleston, WV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought I would start another supercharger thread for this key point in the trip from Ohio to Florida down I-77. This is a hugely popular route that is currently only doable by adding 3hrs or so to your trip by taking I-75 through the supercharger network over there. It looks to be on the list for 2016, so here's for hoping it's sooner rather than later. The supercharger expansion never ceases to amaze me, please keep up the good work Tesla.

Reactions: jbcarioca
Right, no argument there. My question was, did this supercharger thread belong in the mid-atlantic group or the Midwest group. I literally stalk supercharge.info everyday hoping for at least a permit.

And more and more owners are getting deliveries down in that area.

If you go to the TMC Community -> North America forum list and look at each sub-forum they show the included states.

Mid-Atlantic

Delaware, District of Columbia, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia

So, it should be in Mid-Atlantic.

Can a Mod move it please?

If you go to the TMC Community -> North America forum list and look at each sub-forum they show the included states.

Mid-Atlantic

Delaware, District of Columbia, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia

So, it should be in Mid-Atlantic.

Can a Mod move it please?

Thanks, it doesn't show the states on mobile for me, ooops.

We are in Cleveland, OH. Have friends in Charlotte NC and usually every 2 or 3 years we make a trip there, and then continue down to Florida. We haven't yet done the trip in a Tesla, but 2017 would probably be the year we would. I'm hopeful that MAYBE in 9 months time they'll have what we need to make that possible. Fingers crossed...

No offense, but I'll believe it when I see it. I can't help but think there is something about WV that is making things more difficult than usual to get chargers there. In fact, if you posted that shortly before coming online, the charging stations had been vandalized, I would totally not be surprised. I hope I'm wrong.

Note: there is no confirmed location in Charleston, WV, but I picked one and ...

Interstates: I-64, I-77
US Numbered Highways (<= 5mi): US-60, US-119

I-64:
To: Lexington, VA - 182 miles

I-77:
To: Macedonia, OH - 231 miles

To: somewhere south of Pittsburgh, PA (I-77,I-79, I-376): 229 miles
To: London, KY: (I-64, KY-627, I-75): 223 miles
To: Hagerstown, MD (I-77, I-79, I-68): 292 miles

While Charleston, WV seems necessary, it'd really be too far from any other Supercharger except Wytheville without _other_ connections. It's actually possible that it'd be necessary to have a bunch of Superchargers elsewhere but not in Charleston, WV itself.

Note: there is no confirmed location in Charleston, WV, but I picked one and ...

Interstates: I-64, I-77
US Numbered Highways (<= 5mi): US-60, US-119

I-64:
To: Lexington, VA - 182 miles

I-77:
To: Macedonia, OH - 231 miles

To: somewhere south of Pittsburgh, PA (I-77,I-79, I-376): 229 miles
To: London, KY: (I-64, KY-627, I-75): 223 miles
To: Hagerstown, MD (I-77, I-79, I-68): 292 miles

While Charleston, WV seems necessary, it'd really be too far from any other Supercharger except Wytheville without _other_ connections. It's actually possible that it'd be necessary to have a bunch of Superchargers elsewhere but not in Charleston, WV itself.
I am being told that Charleston and Morgantown are supposed to be the end-of-2016, West Virginia, 1-2 punch.

Reactions: martinicus
I also am eagerly waiting for a Charleston supercharger. It would enable the Dayton to Wytheville route, Tyne Columbus to Wytheville, and others.

In the meantime there are 4-5 Tesla owners in Charleston with HPWCs on PlugShare.

Unfortunately, there still are no hotels with destination chargers, J1772s, or 14-50s in Charleston yet. Please bring this up with as many hotel managers as you can. That would be a big help even after Charleston gets a supercharger.

GSP

Reactions: swengl
I am being told that Charleston and Morgantown are supposed to be the end-of-2016, West Virginia, 1-2 punch.

In some ways - I would have thought that a Supercharger at the area of the split South on Highway 19, off I79, at the Sutton Area would be a good connection to Wytheville, VA, from Cranberry, PA.

Go Mart, at 3157 State Street, Gassaway, WV 26624, USA Puts Cranberry SC at 177 miles North, and Wytheville SC at 149 Miles South.

Going a bit North: - Giovanni's Pizza, Coffman Square & Rt 5, Burnsville, WV 26335, Changes this to 160 Miles North, and 166 Miles South! Between them - both good possibilities - at least in terms of distance for the North-South Run, if there is no Morgantown, SC!
https://goo.gl/maps/cUrN55hnpA82 (327 Miles from Cranberry, SC to Wytheville, SC)

Substituting a New SC in Morgantown, at Bob Evans, 10 Lawless Rd, Morgantown, WV 26501 - changes the Direct to Wytheville run:
87 Miles Cranberry, SC to Morgantown, SC, and
240 Miles from Morgantown, SC, to Wytheville, SC! (327 Miles from Cranberry, SC)

The Charleston Run South from Macedonia SC, could be something like this:
119 Miles to Lori's Family Restaurant, 17020 Mcconnellsville Road, Caldwell, OH 43724 >
113 Miles to Shoney's Charleston (Near Charleston Civic Center), 116 Kanawha Blvd E, Charleston, WV (232 Miles from Macedonia, SC)
https://goo.gl/maps/cYbmyTLNwAu

From Cranberry, SC to Wytheville, SC, via a Morgantown, SC, and Charleston, SC (Per Example addresses, above), would be:
87 Miles - Cranberry, SC, to Morgantown, SC, and
155 Miles - Morgantown, SC, to Charleston, SC,
129 Miles - Charleston, SC, to Wytheville, SC.
https://goo.gl/maps/EsQzNq4Hwok (371 Miles from Cranberry, SC to Wytheville, SC, an extra 44 miles)

However, adding in a Morgantown, SC, makes it just 146 Miles (from the Bob Evans Suggested location) to Hagerstown, MD, SC!
However - I drove that route, it has a large amount if hill climbing and elevation changes! It might be a good idea to put one in near
Fairfield Inn & Suites Cumberland, 21 Wineow St, Cumberland, MD 21502.

That would make the trip:
80 Miles - Morgantown, SC to Cumberland, SC,
67 Miles - Cumberland, SC to Hagerstown, SC.
https://goo.gl/maps/7hdYyk494RH2 (Just adds 1 mile - at 147 miles)