Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Charleston, WV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a "median" time between the permit process and having the supercharger up and running? I'm planning a trip from Washinton D.C to Lexington KY in August and the Charleston SC would save me a ton of time.

-Jim

I'm not sure Jim. I know the Morgantown Supercharger appeared in permit status about 4 months ago and isn't operational yet. On the other hand, the Mt. Gilead Ohio Supercharger just popped up as online one day last fall and no permit status was ever displayed for it.

Is there a "median" time between the permit process and having the supercharger up and running? I'm planning a trip from Washinton D.C to Lexington KY in August and the Charleston SC would save me a ton of time.

-Jim
There is literally no rhyme or reason. I've seen superchargers in permit for 6 months and I've seen them in permit for 1 day. Hell, I've seen the cones pop up on the maps without ever seeing the blue dots. And yes, I do stalk the supercharge.info page.... I have a problem.

There is literally no rhyme or reason. I've seen superchargers in permit for 6 months and I've seen them in permit for 1 day. Hell, I've seen the cones pop up on the maps without ever seeing the blue dots. And yes, I do stalk the supercharge.info page.... I have a problem.
Yeah, me to. Maybe we should start a support group, oh wait....

• Funny
Reactions: vdiv

-Jim

The median time in permitting and in construction at supercharge.info are each just over a month. As others have pointed out, however, there is alot of variability. The odds are certainly in your favor for having it ready by August though.

Charleston, WV (based on latest information)

Interstates: I-64, I-77
US Numbered Highways (<= 5mi): US-60, US-119

I-64:
To: Lexington, VA - 182 miles
Diversion: 0 miles
To: Charlottesville, VA (s.i Permit) - 249 miles
(To: Glen Allen, VA - 314 miles)

I-77:
To: End (I-90 Cleveland, OH) - 250 miles
Diversion: 2 miles
(From: Charlotte, NC - 262 miles)

To: Macedonia, OH (I-77, OH-8, OH-82) - 231 miles
To: Triadelphia, WV (I-77, I-70) - 187 miles
To: Morgantown, WV (s.i Permit) (I-77, I-79, I-68) - 152 miles
(
To: Cranberry Township, PA (I-77, I-79) - 241 miles
To: Somerset, PA (I-77, I-79, I-68, WV-26, PA-281) - 220 miles
To: Hagerstown, MD (I-77, I-79, I-68, I-70) - 292 miles
)
To: London, KY: (I-64, KY-627, I-75): 223 miles
To: Cincinatti, OH (I-64, US-35, I-71): 208 miles

From the numbers, Wytheville, VA is the closest Supercharger at 133 miles.
The next closest is Morgantown, WV at 152 miles.
So, with the Charleston, WV location apparently set, it seems that we now get to have fun guessing the locations that they'll need to add between Charleston, WV and other Superchargers.

My money on a location between Morgantown and Wytheville (currently out of range for X60s, X75s, S60s, S75s in cold weather, probably most 3s) is South of Sutton near the I79/Route 19 split. Hoping to get back to work with Tesla reps on this site in a week or two.

You call that a problem? I call your supercharge.info stalking and raise you a spreadsheet.

Anyway, if you want to calculate mean time you can take data from supercharge.info''s changes tab and the data tab.

The data tab has the Open date.
The changes tab will have the Permit and Construction dates where available.

I have done those calculations on the fly before but I guess I should put them in my spreadsheet.

Reactions: vdiv
Anybody ever notice that just East of the 19 & I79 junction there is a town named Tesla?
Yes, and I have visited it.
IMG_3032.JPG

You call that a problem? I call your supercharge.info stalking and raise you a spreadsheet.

Anyway, if you want to calculate mean time you can take data from supercharge.info''s changes tab and the data tab.

The data tab has the Open date.
The changes tab will have the Permit and Construction dates where available.

I have done those calculations on the fly before but I guess I should put them in my spreadsheet.

OK, so for Open US Superchargers only, based on the Supercharge.info Changes tab Permit and Construction dates, plus the Data tab Open Dates*

Permit: From Supercharge.info Permit status to Open Date
Construction: From Supercharge.info Construction status to Open Date
Code:
          Permit Construction
Count        145          278
Mean         118           41
Min            4            0
Max          568          297
Median        98           33
Deviation     90           33

Note that Permit status on Supercharge.info just means that the location has been identified.
Also note that some Superchargers have been found well into construction.
So, the data don't exactly tell you the days from permit issued or from start of construction.

* Corrected Klamath Falls Open Date to 2017-03-16 and notified Supercharge.info

Last edited:
Reactions: emupilot
OK, so for Open US Superchargers only, based on the Supercharge.info Changes tab Permit and Construction dates, plus the Data tab Open Dates*

Permit: From Supercharge.info Permit status to Open Date
Construction: From Supercharge.info Construction status to Open Date
Code:
          Permit Construction
Count        145          278
Mean         118           41
Min            4            0
Max          568          297
Median        98           33
Deviation     90           33

Note that Permit status on Supercharge.info just means that the location has been identified.
Also note that some Superchargers have been found well into construction.
So, the data don't exactly tell you the days from permit issued or from start of construction.

* Corrected Klamath Falls Open Date to 2017-03-16 and notified Supercharge.info

Does it change significantly if you take away the major outliers? For example, maybe permitting/construction periods that have exceeded 6-12+ months? I submit that the two or three of those that exist skew the numbers significantly.

Good calculations btw. You win, your addiction is worse.

Does it change significantly if you take away the major outliers? For example, maybe permitting/construction periods that have exceeded 6-12+ months? I submit that the two or three of those that exist skew the numbers significantly.

Good calculations btw. You win, your addiction is worse.

Using the median instead of the mean takes care of the outliers. I did those calculations about 6 months ago and it looks like the median time with a permit dot is getting longer.

I like pictures.

I didn't want to generate a list of numbers and couldn't figure out how to get LibreOffice Calc to draw a nice column chart with gaps for 0 so they're plotted as X-Ys.

permit_open.png

construction_open.png

So, clearly we see a skewed distribution, but again, note that we often get word late on Superchargers so these graphs don't represent the whole process for all Superchargers.