Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Charleston, WV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick update for today.

More form work being started.
IMG_5151.JPG

A new trench has been dug for the electrical conduits. It is supposed to rain this evening, so they have covered the trench with plastic. Also visible is a new concrete pad.
IMG_5152.JPG

supratachophobia:

What will be your route to get from your home to this SpC?

Looks like to route through Charleston, I have to squiggle down to Mt. Gilead - Columbus - etc. So I'm interested in your suggested route to take...

We'll take the route I've always done in an ice.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Col...1!1s0x884f2cce88145d39:0x7661a84704c91b0b!3e0

Once past circleville, there is a really nice divided highway, then, like, 20 min of shady mcshady two lane road, then back to nice highway until you meet up with 77. Unless something big has changed or that route doesn't work out when we try it, I see no reason to change yet. What were your thoughts?

Reactions: 1101011

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Col...1!1s0x884f2cce88145d39:0x7661a84704c91b0b!3e0

Once past circleville, there is a really nice divided highway, then, like, 20 min of shady mcshady two lane road, then back to nice highway until you meet up with 77. Unless something big has changed or that route doesn't work out when we try it, I see no reason to change yet. What were your thoughts?

I usually take the US-33 route but sometimes take the US-35 option. US-35 is a little longer and has more two lane road, and the two lane roads on that route aren't as nice as those on the US-33 route.

I managed to get a quote in that article. Funny, but when my wife and I did a list of Pros/Cons prior to buying our Tesla, the lack of a Central West Virginia supercharger was a fairly big con.

Previous cons that can be scratched:
-lack of Central WV supercharger
-lack of service center in Richmond, VA (should have one by September)
-cold weather range hit (wasn't a problem this winter)
-sun roof too hot for wife (so far, no problem)
-black leather too hot in summer (I've gotten pretty used to using the app to pre-condition the car)
-fit & finish of the interior (we've been very happy with the fit & finish)

Once past circleville, there is a really nice divided highway, then, like, 20 min of shady mcshady two lane road, then back to nice highway until you meet up with 77. Unless something big has changed or that route doesn't work out when we try it, I see no reason to change yet.

Yes, to the untrained eye the US33 vs US35 is pretty much a tossup. I'd be looking for the most (HW1) autopilot-friendly route. Need a viewpoint from folk with tires-on-the-road, like you and Dublin'Eer.

Yes, to the untrained eye the US33 vs US35 is pretty much a tossup. I'd be looking for the most (HW1) autopilot-friendly route. Need a viewpoint from folk with tires-on-the-road, like you and Dublin'Eer.
I live in Gallipolis ohio - border of wv/oh on US35. Travel at least twice a month from gallipolis to columbus using US35 in my 85D Autopilot HW1 and been using it since the launch. It drives incredibly accurate.

Last edited:
@1101011: Often times when I drive between home (Athens) & Dayton, I would drive US-35 instead of US-33. I find less traffic on US-35, east of Xenia, and the landscape more "open". US-33 can be bumper to bumper NW of Lancaster, which has essentially become a bedroom community of Columbus.

• Helpful
Almost like migratory birds, my family periodically makes the trip from NE Ohio to western North Carolina. Early on we settled into a drive down I-77 until it joins I-81, then more back roads to our final destination northeast of Asheville.

It's a haul in the Prius.

Last summer, with time to spare, we took the Model S down the east coast to Wilmington, then a leisurely trans-NC trip through the Research Triangle to get there. Coming home through Knoxville, KY and Cincy was quite different. Both trips were about 50% longer.

Hopefully, with Charleston coming on line, we can range charge at Mt. Gilead to reach WV. That makes Wytheville quite accessible.

A SpC at Cambridge would be nice.

Such are the trials of the early adopter. (But I wouldn't trade it for the world).

Reactions: arijaycomet

"The nearest Superchargers from Charleston all take two hours or more of driving time,...."

It sure seems to be a hard concept for people to grasp - that supercharger stations are primarily for non-local Tesla owners. If someone owns a Tesla in Charleston, and they own a home, they will charge there. I don't think most anyone would go sit at a charging station for an hour to save the $10 it would cost them to charge at home. For Charleston owners, having superchargers 2 hours away is exactly what you need to be able to travel. For those that live near the towns 2 hours from Charleston, they, and everyone else passing through Charleston are the ones who will benefit from this station.

I wish, JUST ONCE, that someone would tell the newspaper writers that there are several thousand Tesla chargers in the vicinity - people's garages!

Reactions: jrreno
"The nearest Superchargers from Charleston all take two hours or more of driving time,...."

It sure seems to be a hard concept for people to grasp - that supercharger stations are primarily for non-local Tesla owners. If someone owns a Tesla in Charleston, and they own a home, they will charge there. I don't think most anyone would go sit at a charging station for an hour to save the $10 it would cost them to charge at home. For Charleston owners, having superchargers 2 hours away is exactly what you need to be able to travel. For those that live near the towns 2 hours from Charleston, they, and everyone else passing through Charleston are the ones who will benefit from this station.

I wish, JUST ONCE, that someone would tell the newspaper writers that there are several thousand Tesla chargers in the vicinity - people's garages!
What, and make sense?

But seriously, this supercharger is getting built like hotcakes.