Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Charleston, WV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, it's showing on the navigation map in my Tesla so it indeed must be official. But Tesla has apparently not yet entered all the data into their computer systems. If I navigate eastward through West Virginia where I-64 would be the shortest route, it still routes me the longer way around West Virginia, as if that Supercharger didn't exist.
That might be due to the distance between it and the prior Supercharger — Cincinnati's a 200-mile drive, Lexington is 175 miles, both are hilly routes and could be too close for comfort for your nav system (depending on your battery pack and state of charge).

Now it appears on the website too!

The best way to enter from I-64 is via Virginia Street. It will be on your right just after you cross the Elk River.

The best way to return to the Interstate is via Kanawha Blvd.
IMG_1801.JPG

That might be due to the distance between it and the prior Supercharger — Cincinnati's a 200-mile drive, Lexington is 175 miles, both are hilly routes and could be too close for comfort for your nav system (depending on your battery pack and state of charge).
Something seems off still. Coming from St. Louis it routes me through Grove City, OH to get to Beckley, WV, without stopping at the Charleston Supercharger (even though I'd drive right by it), a distance of about 210 miles. So why can't it route me from the Lexington KY supercharger which is only 178 miles from the Charleston Supercharger?

Is anybody able to get a route that includes a stop at the Charleston WV Supercharger?

Something seems off still. Coming from St. Louis it routes me through Grove City, OH to get to Beckley, WV, without stopping at the Charleston Supercharger (even though I'd drive right by it), a distance of about 210 miles. So why can't it route me from the Lexington KY supercharger which is only 178 miles from the Charleston Supercharger?

Is anybody able to get a route that includes a stop at the Charleston WV Supercharger?

Mine is doing the same thing. I want to go from Lexington, KY past Charleston and it wants to route me through Grove City too. It will route me from Lexington to the Charleston, WV SC, but not past it.

Charged here on my way to and from the Carolina beaches from Cincinnati. Pretty hot and exposed (would be a great spot for Tesla to put their solar panel canopies), and the sideways chargers are a bit weird. Shoney's and Starbucks right there, and it's about a 4 block walk to the Charleston Town Center Mall where there are plenty of spots to eat. We went a couple of blocks further to the Recovery Sports Grill in the 4 Points Sheraton, having called ahead for some take-out. There is a nice park along the Kanawha River and we walked along it to get back to the car.

If you're heading south on 77 you can avoid the 77/64 interchange traffic after charging by heading south on Kanawha Blvd until it hooks up with the interstate past the city center. Unfortunately you can't turn L onto Kanawha Blvd out of the parking lot for some unjustified reason.

It's a long jump to places west of Charleston (Cincy, Lexington, Columbus), so this will always be a long stop-over. The spots aren't terribly convenient to the hotel lobby so I don't think there's a big risk of overnighters taking up the spots.

As I was traveling south on I-77, the S's directions had me cross the river, then do a U-turn back across the river on US119/I-64, and off at the first ramp. Extremely ackward.

Just wondering if local folks might advise on a different path? Perhaps getting off I-77 and exit earlier and use local streets to get to Kanawha Blvd?

As I was traveling south on I-77, the S's directions had me cross the river, then do a U-turn back across the river on US119/I-64, and off at the first ramp. Extremely ackward.

Just wondering if local folks might advise on a different path? Perhaps getting off I-77 and exit earlier and use local streets to get to Kanawha Blvd?

Immediately after you leave I-77 South and join I-64 West, take exit 58-C. This will put you on Pennsylvania Ave which parallels I-64. Go down Pennsylvania for several blocks and turn left on Virginia Street. Cross the Elk River and the Supercharger will be on your right.

When leaving, go across in front of the hotel and turn right on Kanawha Blvd. Cross the Elk River and turn right on Pennsylvania. Follow it back several blocks to the Interstate entrance ramp on the left.

Most helpful. Will use your directions when we slide through in August.

Immediately after you leave I-77 South and join I-64 West, take exit 58-C. This will put you on Pennsylvania Ave which parallels I-64. Go down Pennsylvania for several blocks and turn left on Virginia Street. Cross the Elk River and the Supercharger will be on your right.

When leaving, go across in front of the hotel and turn right on Kanawha Blvd. Cross the Elk River and turn right on Pennsylvania. Follow it back several blocks to the Interstate entrance ramp on the left.

Reactions: Acps110
Just an update and FYI. Using the supercharger here at 4:30am EST and the hotel staff for the Courtyard by Marriott will not allow Tesla owners to use the restrooms on the premises. I called Tesla and they were not aware either way if that particular detail was defined on their end. However, it seems a bit disengenuous to allow a supercharger, but then put a petty restriction on something like the restroom. I'm planning on calling the hotel management tomorrow because something like that is bound to tip me over to staying at the hotel 100 yards away after I finish supercharging in the future. Can anyone local shed some light on this?

• Informative
Reactions: 1101011
That's disappointing. Would be curious to find out if Tesla has anything about this (If you find the right people to ask.)

I remember the first time we charged in Triadelphia, probably two years ago now. Not sure if the manager was coming out anyway or not, but shortly after we charged, the manager of the Hampton Inn came out and greeted us (And the chargers aren't in view of the lobby and are definitely a few hundred feet away in the parking lot.) EXTREMELY nice, extremely outgoing. Offered us the restrooms, snacks and coffee in the lobby.

An act like that puts them at the top of my list. What did that cost the manager, if we did use the restrooms and had some coffee? Probably $.01/flush and $.25/coffee. Some people in customer service have no idea how expensive it is to be so cheap and unaccommodating.

That's disappointing. Would be curious to find out if Tesla has anything about this (If you find the right people to ask.)

I remember the first time we charged in Triadelphia, probably two years ago now. Not sure if the manager was coming out anyway or not, but shortly after we charged, the manager of the Hampton Inn came out and greeted us (And the chargers aren't in view of the lobby and are definitely a few hundred feet away in the parking lot.) EXTREMELY nice, extremely outgoing. Offered us the restrooms, snacks and coffee in the lobby.

An act like that puts them at the top of my list. What did that cost the manager, if we did use the restrooms and had some coffee? Probably $.01/flush and $.25/coffee. Some people in customer service have no idea how expensive it is to be so cheap and unaccommodating.

Tesla website confirms that restrooms, are indeed, an amenity for that supercharger. Already called Marriott corporate, I'll followup with the day shift manager as well.

And you are right, because holiday inn express makes restrooms and coffee available to supercharger users when they are on premis, guess who gets our business if we need a hotel anywhere in the country?

Just an update and FYI. Using the supercharger here at 4:30am EST and the hotel staff for the Courtyard by Marriott will not allow Tesla owners to use the restrooms on the premises. I called Tesla and they were not aware either way if that particular detail was defined on their end. However, it seems a bit disengenuous to allow a supercharger, but then put a petty restriction on something like the restroom. I'm planning on calling the hotel management tomorrow because something like that is bound to tip me over to staying at the hotel 100 yards away after I finish supercharging in the future. Can anyone local shed some light on this?
We had a similar experience in Warsaw, NC at the Quality Inn when the receptionist claimed they had lost the key to the locked restrooms.